Where to buy oil for wood?

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Where to buy oil for wood?

Postby fhorst » Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 am

Hello all,

I need to use curing mineral oil.
Tung oil, Linseed oil, Flaxseed oil, Poppy oil,
Or pre-mixed type like Teak oil.

Crazy difficult to find.
It looks like whole Thailand have switched to chemical polyurethane...

I noticed a post (date 2012) that one Person sold, that information is too old.

For sure I can buy teak oil at DoHome, really high priced.
I need about 50 liters.
Yes, 50

Please advise!!

Thank you all
fhorst

Re: Where to buy oil for wood?

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm

fhorst wrote:Hello all,

I need to use curing mineral oil.
Tung oil, Linseed oil, Flaxseed oil, Poppy oil,
Or pre-mixed type like Teak oil

Mineral oil does not cure, none of your examples are mineral oils.

You are already going to have a little difficulty communicating exactly what you want and adding mistakes into the mix is going to make life more interesting than you probably want.

Teak oil is typically a mix containing polyurethane and is almost never a pure oil finish.

There is something that probably is an oil finish here
http://www.thaicarpenter.com/index.php? ... id=1163087

Also Ikea has a reasonably priced one.

However you should probably go to wood street in Bangkok for bulk quantities and a wider selection. You will even find that a few people can both speak English and may understand what you want.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fhorst » Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 pm

Yes, you are partly right.
Mineral oil is the time I do not need... :-)

The oils mentioned are curing oils, Linseed and Flaxseed need to be boiled before it is a curing oil.

Teak oil is mix of Tung and Linseed oil plus (natural base) turpentine.

During the search on internet a commercial popped up on Google showing Teak oil on Lazada that you will not find if you search on Lazada for Teak oil.
1040 for 4 liter.

I ordered one to test, and hope it is good :-)
fhorst

Postby fhorst » Fri May 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Picture of the product
Attachments
Screenshot_20190531_134924.jpg
fhorst

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri May 31, 2019 4:22 pm

fhorst wrote:Yes, you are partly right.
Mineral oil is the time I do not need... :-)

The oils mentioned are curing oils, Linseed and Flaxseed need to be boiled before it is a curing oil.

Teak oil is mix of Tung and Linseed oil plus (natural base) turpentine.

It can be but may not be.
"Teak oil’ is whatever a manufacturer chooses to put in the container.

IMG_7459.JPG

There are many different mixes that are all labelled as Teak oil.
The cheaper it is the smaller amounts of expensive (Tung oil) constituents will have. Quite possibly 0%

Teak Oil: The Oil That Doesn’t Exist https://www.popularwoodworking.com/articleindex/teak-oil-oil-doesnt-exist/

Teak Oil: What is it? https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/teak-oil-what-is-it/

Good luck with your project
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:34 am

You can get danish type oil at homepro. The brand is protego. They have it in 2.5 L and smaller sizes and it is very expensive stuff. if you want 20 liter containers you can order direct from www.protego.co.th. If you contact them they will probably send a rep out to your house for free to help you choose and show you how to use it.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:23 am

canopy wrote:You can get danish type oil at homepro. The brand is protego. They have it in 2.5 L and smaller sizes and it is very expensive stuff. if you want 20 liter containers you can order direct from http://www.protego.co.th. If you contact them they will probably send a rep out to your house for free to help you choose and show you how to use it.

I know someone else who has used protego and is very happy with it. Thanks for the link to the website, I'll probably be seeing if the local dealer does actually carry any stock soon.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:21 am

It has to be noted that some of the mineral oils keep an odour for quite a long time, not always very pleasant. Instead of such mineral oil, usual cooking oil (vegetable, palm, sunflower) is also possible to be used, much cheaper and easy to get.

Then, when not oil, NC or PU varnishing can be applied resulting in no special care over many years.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Klondyke wrote:It has to be noted that some of the mineral oils keep an odour for quite a long time, not always very pleasant. Instead of such mineral oil, usual cooking oil (vegetable, palm, sunflower) is also possible to be used, much cheaper and easy to get.

Then, when not oil, NC or PU varnishing can be applied resulting in no special care over many years.

There is only one kind of mineral oil used as a wood finish, it is odour free and does not cure.

None of the other oils used in wood finishing are mineral based they are all plant derived. Many of them have an odour that may take a long time to vanish.

Cooking oil certainly can be used on things like wooden spoons that get washed regularly (though mineral oil is better), they are not designed to cure and will go rancid so in general are an extremely poor choice for anything.

An excellent finish is an oil wax mix such as one of the Protogo finishes or one of the Osmo products. One of the big advantages of the oil wax finish is any scratch can be easily covered with a little more oil/wax unlike a PU finish that has to be stripped and recoated.
Attachments
IMG_7471-2.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fhorst » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:55 pm

Cooking oil can not be used as it quickly goes bad.
Rancid oil supposed to be one of the worst smells on the globe.

As I will use it on my Earthen floor, it must not get rancid.
Removing the floor is not a good foresight.

Teak oil indeed doesn't exist. like engine oil.
Tomorrow I can get the 4 liter can from the post office.
https://s.lazada.co.th/s.zbes
Then I can tell what type and how much oil it has.
If it is rubbish, we'll send try to send it back.

Price of 260 per liter is OK.
Normally people spend between 2 and 300 Baht per liter, also the more expensive countries like USA and Europe.
That should be possible here to.

I looked into the Osmo brand, but it is high priced.

Your link :
http://www.thaicarpenter.com/index.php? ... id=1163087
Talks about Japanese oil..
Sounds like "teak" 555
Just kidding, I guess it is Tung oil.

The Danish oil (http://www.protego.co.th) I don't know their price, but send them a message if the Lazada teak oil won't work.
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and information!!
fhorst

Postby Klondyke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:27 am

fhorst wrote:Cooking oil can not be used as it quickly goes bad.

The suitable cooking oil is applied in a quantity and way that it completely soaks into the wood texture. There is no bad odour.
Perhaps you have mistaken it with ambience around the Thai food stalls.

Have you ever smell a rancid oil in the department stores where they sell huge quantity of wooden kitchenware (almost all from Asia) that is varnished - when not by NC lacquer - by some kind of suitable cooking oil?
Klondyke

Postby fhorst » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:57 am

Kitchen products like bowl and spoons are ment to be dishwashed and re-oiled again after cleaning.
Not every time, but regularly.

It is fine to use Sunflower oil for this type of products.
Original first oil layer most likely is linseed (not boiled)
They stay "oily".

Products used for long term, more stable (and more expensive) oils are used.

Feel free to use kitchen oil on your wooden furniture.
Just do not blame me if it smells bad after 2 or 3 years!!
For kitchenware it will work just fine.
I worked about 15 years as Chef in hotel kitchen, not only wooden kitchenware, also frying pans got nice protection layer of kitchen oils.
Cleaning behind that heavy cupboard, that had kitchen oil spills is a job done at the time it starts smelling funny.
And thrust me, it will. In a hot and moist kitchen it takes less than a year.
(Modern times have more strict hygiene standards, and no longer wooden cupboards in a kitchen)

This is not information that I fantasize.
Google have many posts about oils that can easily go rancid.

Just keep it to agreed understand that it is not a good idea to use them on "non removable" items :-)

Some can be used.
Linseed oil is used in the kitchen.
Coconut may work wonders (both need to be boiled first)

Sunflower oil... Keep it for salad and the salad bowl :-)
fhorst

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:29 am

Klondyke wrote:
fhorst wrote:Cooking oil can not be used as it quickly goes bad.

The suitable cooking oil is applied in a quantity and way that it completely soaks into the wood texture. There is no bad odour.

Have you ever smell a rancid oil in the department stores where they sell huge quantity of wooden kitchenware (almost all from Asia) that is varnished - when not by NC lacquer - by some kind of suitable cooking oil?

If you use a vegetable oil that does not cure, over time it is very likely to go rancid due to the oxidation of the double carbon bond either by air or water. It can not give a varnish finish.
If someone forgets to put the cap on a bottle of oil, such as vegetable, sesame or olive oil, the oil within will be exposed to oxygen.

In this case, "an oxygen comes bumbling along and hits a carbon-carbon double bond," said John Malin, a retired associate professor of chemistry at the University of Missouri. "[The oxygen] attacks that double bond and forms a carbon-oxygen bond."

This carbon-oxygen bond can lead to a number of products, including an aldehyde, ketone or carboxylic acid. Some of these products have rancid odors and tastes, the chemists said.

The wooden kitchenware that you claim to be treated with cooking oil, if indeed it has, has not had enough time to develop the rancid odour that it can. If subject to frequent washing and periodically re oiled it probably won't develop the rancidity that it can.

The non-curing oil of choice for kitchenware is mineral oil as that doesn't go rancid, certainly for chopping blocks used in the kitchen where the whole block can be saturated wit it. It is easily and cheaply available.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fhorst » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:48 am

:-)
Yes, regular used and cleaned kitchenware can use "kitchen oil".
And if stored for longer periods, better not use kitchen oil as it might / will get rancid.

If you no longer like the misses... (Joke, but probably true)
Give all the internal wood of the house a nice new layer of oil... Looks good for quite some time...
And by the time she realise where the unbearable smell comes from...
You don't have to worry about cleaning
555 (My dark side have sometimes crazy ideas)

Funny fact.
Big chopping blocks (for meat) we never used oil, but had a layer of salt.(for hygienic reasons)

For vegitable and fruits, if not replaced by plastic, those could be oiled.(fish also plastic)
fhorst

Postby fhorst » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:13 pm

The reason I like to use oil for my earthen floor, is its nature to stay flexible.
With oil the earthen floor surface feels natural like soft leather.

I don't mind modern products, as my foundation and base floor is concrete :-) so are my pillars, and the roof steel and concrete fiber sheets.

On top of the concrete there is a 5 cm layer of soil, sand, straw, water and clay mix
Due to the moist nature of Isaan, I add some borax in the mix. And for additional strength limestone.
This gets compacted by fibration plate.
Top layer (2cm) is sand, clay and fine chopped straw
This layer will be smooth, and after it is totally dry, it need protective layer.

I've read a lot about earthen floor, and made some tests.
All sites only mention oil as protective layer.
(Or ox blood or old engine oil but those are only to prevent dust)

Could a chemical composition have the same effect as oil?
At lower prices?

Picture is how a earthen floor can look :-)
Attachments
milkwood_roundhouse_earthen_floor11.jpg
fhorst

Next

Return to general