House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby schuimpge » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Yep.. I got 2 of those here as well. 1 for 6mm and 1 for 9mm I think.
Very easy.. Hardwood block with some big nails in it and that tool and you bend everything to shape in no time.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Yes those tools are useful.....but I didn't need them for my task, and that's why I like diy and trying to improvise with something else. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Chapter 16 day 47

I went to order the concrete over the weekend for a Monday morning delivery.
In the end I opted for 2.25m3 knowing 2m3 was tight and 2.5m3 would have me looking around for a hole to fill or pressuring me into digging the strip footing for my next project; the front boundary wall.

I have requested 240 steng concrete with a 70 slump s2 water cement ratio which is about 45:1 so that should be workable…and if it isn’t my labour can suck it up because its not having one bucketful added.

My costs on this project amount to 21900bt. That does include of course the 15m brick kerb race and the drain installation from the pond and the concrete which is due. Not bad really and happy with that. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Chapter 16 day 48

At 9am Wasu had a call from the concrete company to confirm the delivery was still on for 10.

At 9.30 my two labourers arrived. I only needed them for an hour at the most but they were necessary believe me.

The delivery arrived and I was shown the paperwork showing the order. Everything was correct. :)

1 (1).jpg

1 (3).jpg

As soon as the driver put his hand on the water hose I almost chopped it off with the mattock. :lol: I think he was taken aback when I insisted there will be no water added but he literally held two hands up in that “I surrender” gesture and told me it was only to lubricate his chutes. :oops:

He invited me to climb up onto the top to take a look at the mix and see it flowing.

“perfect” I said lets have it. :)

1 (4).jpg

An observation I have made on several concrete trucks here. They don’t have extension chutes other than half a 9 inch drain pipe. The steel chute was barely 1m long and would have lucky to clear the back wheel.(the 9 in chute had already been used at the back before this photo)

I do recall from my time, every truck had interlocking extension chutes with no blue pipe anywhere to be seen. Not only that the blue pipes here have to be tied on with ropes and inevitably and always fail at lease once!

My steel was not moving and the concrete was dragged nicely over the slab.

1 (5).jpg

1 (6).jpg

1 (7).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Chapter 16 day 48 contd

My 2.25m3 was about perfect….but the strange thing is my accurate measuring told me I needed 2.1m3 tops. No waste anywhere, no low spots, infact a few high spots around the stanchions and concrete posts I built in.

The truck was gone after 20 minutes and the three of us continued to tamp and level and tidy it up.

After a further 15 minutes I said my thanks to the two bods and continued myself watching it for the moment I could start floating it.

No point sitting around so in the interim I decided to go back to the hospital and get my stitches taken out of my leg. :) I thought, and the doctor thought that a week would have been enough to heal but sadly it hadn’t healed and despite having the sutures removed the cut still required taping together. :(

Whether its my age, or me simply not giving my leg a rest I don’t know but one thing for sure, the older you are the slower you heal, and the more active you are the slower you heal also...double whammy then. :roll:

1 (8).jpg

1 (12).jpg

1 (13).jpg

On my return I pressed on with the steel float. I had made an earlier attempt to make a bullfloat from the 12 inch board that I eventually used to lay on. At the time I was quite optimistic it would work, using the steel hinge part of an old mop. however that idea failed due to my sloppy tie wire fixing. It held perfectly but the scratches in the surface of the connie were not very appealing. soon afterwards it found its way onto the bonfire but the memory of it still holds dear in the last photo :lol:

1 (14).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Chapter 16 day 49

We have been fortunate that the last three weeks have been overcast with maybe only a couple of days a week with blazing sun.
This should work in my favour with the curing process. I noticed however that the back half of the carport which was poured first actually took the longest to go off as its in the shade.

However my hosepipe is quite handy and I will give it a good soaking twice a day for the next week to keep it hydrated.

With a spare couple of bags of sand I mixed a render and skimmed up the faces of the exposed brickwork to one side of the carport and the kerb race.

DSC_0902_02.JPG

DSC_0903_02.JPG

DSC_0904_02.JPG

DSC_0905_02.JPG

DSC_0906_02.JPG

DSC_0907_02.JPG

DSC_0908_02.JPG

Completing it will require another sand shopping trip but its just about there. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Chapter 16 day 49 contd

I want to lay a flat brick edging to each side next to finish it off and stop Wasu driving the car off the edge!! and then just finish painting the stanchions at the bottom.
Main thing is, I need to test it :)

1 (1).jpg

1 (2).jpg

Slowly but surely, progress is being made and I am next embarking upon the front boundary fences. Two short stretches one of 6m an one of 2m. Then I have a biggy another 26m long boundary wall. But not this year, we have a European trip to fit in come September :)

Time to put this to bed now, its been 3 years and 5 weeks. :shock:

It has become an obsession which has been very stimulating for my mind but unhealthy to our relationship and unhealthy to my physique. Fitness wise I cant complain but no one has been happy with my weightloss.

But what a roller coaster, there's been some very funny times and my best stories have come about when the Thais were involved, whether that was helping me or simply working in a shop.

Had I not had a construction background, this house would never have been built. It would have meant me finding money for a ready built house, money I don’t have and wouldn’t have invested here.

But luckily with Wasu at the helm, the spa has paid 600k along the way and of course the bank loaned us 1.2m, so I haven’t spent anything personally.

A total spend of 1.8 million for the house, the furniture, the refurbishment of the old house, the boundary walls, pond, wasus fashion factory and the carport.
That’s the same as I think one of our initial quotes just to build the house.

I am having a rest now, I have the bricks to set up on the edge and I have to get a gutter and fallpipe fixed all in good time.

Maybe an update in 6 months if you are both still interested. :wink:
eyecatcher

Postby groucho » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Three!
-groucho
groucho

Postby schuimpge » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Guess I count as Number 1 or 2...
schuimpge

Postby Pjjpom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:21 pm

I have just spent an enjoyable time reading your tale, very amusing in parts and also quite instructive.
I am hoping to start a build near Somdet soon and am taking the time to plan everything and expecting it all to be changed according to standard operating procedures here. Your story has all the pitfalls that I could imagine and then some, well done for keeping going, what's next? keep us informed please
Pjjpom

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand