Rebuilding of a house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Rebuilding of a house

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 am

Breizh29 wrote:Thanks very much Sometimewoodworker for your answer.

But comparing the 2 plans, I see that the recommendations are almost similar to the footings, the columns but quite different for the floor beams. The first plan denotes only DB12 for the floor beams but as the case with 4, 5, 6 or 7 steel bars depending on the locations. The second plan with DB12 and DB16 and depending on the location of the beams. Moreover the distribution of the rebars in the same beams is rather different.
Maybe both solutions are correct? or not?

The thicker rebar will be in the base of the beam and probably better calculations.

Breizh29 wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Any increase in rebar size will reduce the compressive strength while increasing the deflection strength.

Going from 4 DB12 to 4 DB16 for rebars will increase defection strength but will it significantly decrease compressive strength? Compressive strength, which is the most important factor for the columns, it seems to me.

do you need more resistance to bending?

The cheapest way to increase strengths is to increase the column and the beam dimensions, concrete is cheap here. Also only buy ready mix and insist on slump testing of each truck load, if the RMC co says they can't do it buy from another who can.

Breizh29 wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:The absolute best way to increase strength in your beams and columns is to keep the forms on them for at least 7 days and keep them wet for a month.

Yes of course you are right.

I had talked to the builder before I decided not to work with him. His answer was that I was right but that if he worked that way it would take too much time for construction and it was not possible. And yet he builds beautiful houses, works on projects for the administration .... :|

Beauty is only skin deep, how are the bones?

You can at least make sure that you have a dozen rolls of wide cling film and get each post wrapped a couple of times as it comes out of the forms.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Breizh29 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:do you need more resistance to bending?

The cheapest way to increase strengths is to increase the column and the beam dimensions, concrete is cheap here. Also only buy ready mix and insist on slump testing of each truck load, if the RMC co says they can't do it buy from another who can.

The absolute best way to increase strength in your beams and columns is to keep the forms on them for at least 7 days and keep them wet for a month.

No, I probably don't think I need additional bending force in the columns (column 20x20cm).
The floor beams, all 45x20cm, certainly do not need to be enlarged.

But I wanted some advice from people more competent than me ...
Breizh29

Postby Breizh29 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:44 am

Hi Sometimewoodworker,

I read your construction story. Congratulations for this beautiful achievement! :wink:
I think in your footings and in your columns you put DB12mm. Am I wrong?

Thanks
Breizh29

Postby Breizh29 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 am

Hi,

In the house all columns and floor beams will contain DB16 SD40 reinforcement bars.

Reception of DB16 steel bars and a little DB12 for the footings.
The people from Global House who came to deliver the rebar had some difficulty in unloading the truck. :shock: :oops:
This one was not equipped with a crane!
Breizh29

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Breizh29 wrote:Hi Sometimewoodworker,

I read your construction story. Congratulations for this beautiful achievement! :wink:

Thanks

Sorry I didn't notice your question, having just looked the information is on page 2.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Breizh29 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Breizh29 wrote:Hi Sometimewoodworker,

Thanks

Sorry I didn't notice your question, having just looked the information is on page 2.

Oh yes; I didn't look well! :wink:
Breizh29

Postby pipoz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Breizh29 wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:do you need more resistance to bending?

The absolute best way to increase strength in your beams and columns is to keep the forms on them for at least 7 days and keep them wet for a month.

No, I probably don't think I need additional bending force in the columns (column 20x20cm).
The floor beams, all 45x20cm, certainly do not need to be enlarged.

But I wanted some advice from people more competent than me ...

Hi and 450mm is deep enough for your Beam. Even 400mm is ok depending on your Span width

But with a 200mm or 20cm wide Beam, you might have a problem with your ligaturers.If your Beam width only 200mm wide overall and you then allow 45 mm for your concrete cover on each side, then your Ligature Width can only be a nominal110mm wide. What you tend to find is that Global House and other places that sell Reinforcement, have a range of Standard Ligature sizes (Width & Depth) already made up, unless you want to bend up your own ligatures on site.

It can pay to look at what Standard Ligature sizes (Width & Depth), they (Global House andOthers) have available in stock. Chances are, you will find they have Standard Ligature sizes of 150mmWide x 300mmDeep or a 200mmWide x 300mmDeep or 200mmWide x 350mmDeep, ligatures, in stcik at these places.

It much better to buy the standard Ligatures which are already bent up, than f..k around on side, bending your own to a special size.

45 to 50mm cover on the sides and bottom of the Ground Beam, would be the minimum that I would go for, given the Thai's rarely vibrate their in ground concrete into place, unless you buy the Vibrator for them

Als remember that Readymix Concrete in Thailand is relatively cheap, at around 1700 -1850 per m3, so a little extra concrete in the ground wont break the Bank.

A Ligature size of 150mm Wide x 300mm Deep will mean a nominal Ground Beam size of say 250mm Wide x 400mm Deep
A Ligature size of 200mm Wide x 300mm Deep will mean a nominal Ground Beam size of say 300mm Wide x 400mm Deep
A Ligature size of 200mm Wide x 350mm Deep will mean a nominal Ground Beam size of say 300mm Wide x 450mm Deep

Re. The absolute best way to increase strength in your beams and columns is to keep the forms on them for at least 7 days and keep them wet for a month.

For beam strength,
1. Suggest 3 Bottom Reo Bars (DB16) for the mid span section or majority span length of the ground Beam - Just as easy to run the 3 Bottom Reo bars all the way through that ground beam, for the full length.

2. And for the Top Beam Reo bars (DB16), suggest 3 top bars for the section where the Beam intersects with the Column or runs over the Footing Pad for at least 1/3 of the Span length either side of the Footing/Column

Hope this makes sense

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Breizh29 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Hello Pipoz and a big thank you for your detailed answer.

First of all a small question about the columns that are planned in 200mmx200mm. On the plans provided by the engineer is not indicated the spacing between the bars (DB16) and the formwork. You indicate for the ground beams 45 or 50mm. I found an old thread where Dozer also confirmed this value. So I think it's the same for the columns.
In my case the stirrup will be 100mmx100mm. Correct? :wink:
Breizh29

Postby pipoz » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Breizh29 wrote:Hello Pipoz and a big thank you for your detailed answer.

First of all a small question about the columns that are planned in 200mmx200mm. On the plans provided by the engineer is not indicated the spacing between the bars (DB16) and the formwork. You indicate for the ground beams 45 or 50mm. I found an old thread where Dozer also confirmed this value. So I think it's the same for the columns.
In my case the stirrup will be 100mmx100mm. Correct? :wink:

Hi Breizh29,

If you look at my Build under "Udon Thani Happy House" on Page 1, you will see some PDF File Attachments, to my thread dated 17 May 2014. Under the File titled HH Footing Layout, my detail Pad Footing Type F1, it shows how I placed my 8 DB 16 bars, in my Columns which were 250mm x 250mm, buy the way. Your 200mm x 200mm Columns will be the same - One bar in each corner (4No) and the others midway between the corner Bars(4No) = Total 8 No DB16

Hope this answer you Column Question

Ground Beam: Likewise the PDF File titled HH External Ground Beams, indicates how I palced my top and bottom bars in my ground beams, and at what spacing I placed my Ligatures.

There are plently of typical Thai Style Drawings details, on web sites (just Google Thai footing and beam reinforcement Details - Images) and it will show you how they place their reinforcement in their Footings, Beams and Columns etc. and it is pretty much the same as mine. Hope this helps

pipoz4444
pipoz

Previous

Return to Your Building Story