Finished our Bungalow but couldn't move in

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Finished our Bungalow but couldn't move in

Postby SteveH » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:53 pm

We bought some land (or should I say my Wife bought some land) in March last year and having carried out the obligatory building up the land we came back to the U.K. for the summer.

We returned to LOS late in November and started trying to find a builder to get plans drawn up based on the basic plan I had already made.

My wife's cousin has a construction business in BKK and he agreed to come and meet a builder we had found to discuss specifications etc.

Well on his way back to BKK (a 2 hour drive)he had been thinking that if we used that builder he would have to come down to check on his work maybe 10 times during the construction period so he may as well get his own people to do it.

He suggested that to us and gave us a price that turned out to be less than the local builder anyway.

I would add at this point that my Wife's cousin lived in the U.K. for a few years and speaks fluent English, that helped alot from my poin t of view as I always knew what was going on.

Anyway his crew duly arrived and work started in the middle of January. They were a good crew and worked long hours.

The 'Boss' came down once or twice a week and because he had fine tuned my plans himself and was working from his own drawings we could change things as we went along without any problems. That turned out to be a great advantage as we did want to change things from the original plan.

Well the whole job was finished at the end of March and we were going to move in on the 29th just for 1 week before we returned to the U.K.

Thats when we found we couldn't move in. My wife(who has lived in England for 27 years) went to see the local advisor of 'when is the best time to do important things' ( I can't think of what we would call them in English!) and he advised that the best date to move in would be the 6th of April, the day we were to return to London, well I was not happy about it but have learnt over the years not to argue with such things.

We did actually do a moving in ceremony at 06:30 on the 6th, then left for the airport. We have now got to wait until November before we can stay in our new bunglow.

You can imagine what that is like, kid with a new toy etc. Still I guess the wait will be worth it, the bungalow is perfect and the contruction quality is really good.

If anyone is contemplating getting a place built I know a very good builder!
SteveH

Postby Boon Mee » Mon May 02, 2005 4:29 pm

Steve,

You don't say how well the construction turned out?
How big was the project and buget?

Congratulations on your new home. :)

Best,

Boon Mee
Boon Mee

Postby SteveH » Tue May 03, 2005 2:52 pm

The Bungalow is about 1500 sq mtrs ,it is solidily built and finished really well. The total cost including tiles, curtains and even our living expenses for the winter (mid November to 1st week in April) was about bht 1m. It has 3 bedrooms,2 bathrooms a large living room indoor and outdoor kitchen areas and a large outdoor area that is open on two sides but under the main roof. If anyone would like to see a picture let me know and I will e mail one (about 118kb). Both of us are really happy with it and can't wait to get back there.
SteveH

Postby Attila » Sun May 15, 2005 6:45 pm

SteveH wrote:The Bungalow is about 1500 sq mtrs ,it is solidily built and finished really well. The total cost including tiles, curtains and even our living expenses for the winter (mid November to 1st week in April) was about bht 1m. It has 3 bedrooms,2 bathrooms a large living room indoor and outdoor kitchen areas and a large outdoor area that is open on two sides but under the main roof. If anyone would like to see a picture let me know and I will e mail one (about 118kb). Both of us are really happy with it and can't wait to get back there.

Steve,

really 1500 sq mtrs for 1 million THB? Could there be "0" too much, and it is 150 m2 ?

Anyway, your builder would be interested in a project near Jomtien ( just south of pattaya)?

And yes, please email the picture!

Regards,
Attila
Attila

picture

Postby dozer » Mon May 16, 2005 9:15 pm

I'm interested in the project detail. Please send me a few photos of the development stage (if you have them) and the finished house, along with some notes regarding materials used. Then break down the rough cost per phase. Sounds like an interesting project that you had successfully done within a tight budget. Love to post the pics to the blog side.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Tue May 17, 2005 2:57 am

Of course Attila is right the size is about 150sq mtrs not 1,500
SteveH

bungalow

Postby robint » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:38 pm

hi steve, nice project

would you care to post a jpg of a rough ground plan with some outline dimensions

i would like to work up a quick 3d model (as posed elswhere here)

will of course send the piccies to dozer for publication

i did the same for his house as an excercise
robint

Postby SVielha » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:06 pm

Hi guys,

I want to built a house in Thailand in November this year.
We allready have a plan from a german architect which is a friend of mine.
But I`m still interested in other plans, to have other/better ideas which could influence my plan.

Please be so kind and send it to me.

Our house would be round about 200 m2 for 1.3 million baht close to Sukhothai! The ground is already there.
SVielha

Postby SteveH » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:25 am

I will try and get a copy of the plans, we are currently in the U.K. and I,m not sure if we have a copy here.
Steve
SteveH

Plans

Postby JohnnyBeGood » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:08 am

Can you put me on that list for a copy of the basic plan designs?
Please send to johnnyusa2005@hotmail.com.

Also did you receive a detailed breakdown of expenses from the builder beforehand or did he just give you a general quote for the construction?
JohnnyBeGood

basic plans

Postby dozer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:15 am

Can you put me on that list for a copy of the basic plan designs?
Please send to johnnyusa2005@hotmail.com.

The plans should be able to be posted as an attachment to the forum, so they don't need to be sent around.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:35 pm

I am hoping a friend is bringing a copy of the plans over this week, and yes the builder did give us a detailed breakdown, both in Thai and English.
Steve.
SteveH

ICF HOMES

Postby johnnybegood » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi guys!,

Question #1

Wondering if insulated construction forms building systems for houses are available here in thailand?

They seem to be hurricane, flood, fire, mold, tsunami proof / resistant.
There supposed be extremely strong.
From what I read and they are supposed to be economical to build.
They are using these to rebuild the destroyed homes in Indonesia and the houses are built in like a week with a crew.
Also it doesn't really require a highly specialized tradesman as in brick or block construction.
Any feedback on this one anybody?

Question #2
I do not see any homes built with basements in Thailand?
Is this because the sea level elevation and the soil can't support it due to flooding?
Or is it just not a customary "Thai" building technique/mentality
johnnybegood

Re: ICF HOMES

Postby cruzing » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:00 pm

johnnybegood wrote:Hi guys!,

Question #2
Is this because the sea level elevation and the soil can't support it due to flooding?

I only know of one thai man who has a basement. He returned to thailand after many years in sweden to build his house. He is in Khao Tao, south of Hua Hin. When he was showing us the house and we were in the basement it seemed very muggy. Don't know how he built it as water levels usually discourage projects like that. He is across from, I believe, the prince's palace, which has a big lake in front of it.

cruing
cruzing

Re: ICF HOMES

Postby Attila » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:18 am

johnnybegood wrote:Hi guys!,

Question #1

Wondering if insulated construction forms building systems for houses are available here in thailand?

They seem to be hurricane, flood, fire, mold, tsunami proof / resistant.
There supposed be extremely strong.
From what I read and they are supposed to be economical to build.
They are using these to rebuild the destroyed homes in Indonesia and the houses are built in like a week with a crew.
Also it doesn't really require a highly specialized tradesman as in brick or block construction.
Any feedback on this one anybody?

Haven't seen it here yet.

Well, you fill them up with concrete and steel, of course they are strong!

Personally I do not like the idea of living in a plastic house. And that is what they are these "insulated construction forms", aren't they? They give you a concrete wall with a plastic shell inside and outside. Just the though of it make me loosing my breath.

johnnybegood wrote:Question #2

I guess it is mainly a money saving issue. And then the problem to keep it dry.
Attila

Next

Return to Your Building Story