Natural Swimming Pools

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Natural Swimming Pools

Postby rubik101 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Mossies eggs are eaten by the pond life that inhabits the regeneration area around the pool.
In Corfu I have less problems with mossies than some of my neighbours. My problem there is wasps! I'm still looking for the nest.
Small invertabrates and frogs etc, are quite acceptable in the regeneration area. Insect life will flourish but no more than in any other stretch of still water.
Just make sure you never introduce any fish!
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Postby Nawty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:11 am

Exactly, was going to state those comments me self for the mossi tormented and mossiphobed ones, but glad someone else did.

Why no fish, this is second time I have read this, apart from the varieties such as Koi and other carp and bottom dwellers that dig up the bottom, why not normal surface type feeding fish ?? apart from swimming in fish poo, but any good aussie lad that has not swum with fish pooh just has not lived yet.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby thaifly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Nawty wrote:'taken apart on last pool escapade'.....'until someone pulled you outa the s**t'.....

Care to explain these 2 statements with some clarity ?

Or you just believed anything you read or told ?

As for the natural type pool, if you do not like it and you prefer chlorine, fine. I like the natural idea, no need for you to come around for a swim and risk your white backside to get mossi bit......its a mossi bit white now red arse gidday from me.

gidday to you nawty its the thai fly from maerim... heres the clarity...at least 12 months ago you posted a pic of your pool in the s**t....and a couple months ago you posted your pool out of the s**t..in between you had a blue with the builder that resulted in a court case which you duly lost ....so i am assuming that some one had to take over your mess and get it right for you.. and very nicely too i might add... thats the way i see your posts... if you put up all your pics on the photo gallery instead of a mere few so far in posts ...may be we would get a better picture of your house that u have built or have you?????...as for a swim in your new natural pool no thanks... with you and your family pissing in your house pool.. thats enough for any one to be turned off..... but it might get rid of the mossies.???..its a SOMETHING IN THE AIR GIDDAY TO ALL ..ITS THUNDER CLAP NEWMAN..OH I MEAN its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 pm

Lol, talk about jump to conclusions.

Anyway, if we piss in our natural eco pool, it will be no more than what the fish and birds and frogs are doing...less in fact as I will not be fornicating in it.....my spell check does not have fornicating in it..is that how it is spelt, thought it was something different...
Nawty

Postby dozer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:55 pm

This thread seems to be going down hill. Everyone: watch language, I don't want to have to start editing every post. Also lets not get another flame war going.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby rubik101 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:26 am

If you read the links to the published article on these pools, you will see that fish are not advised simply because of the waste they produce.
One of the largest natural pools, manufactured in Germany in the late 1990s, covers over 3000sq/m and has up to 1000 visitors per day in the summer. Every morning the water quality is tested and is found to be well within the drinking water limits acceptable to the EU.
There are no fish in it!
rubik101

Postby Nawty » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:11 am

Understood...but as fish are part of any thriving eco system and the idea of this type of pool is to create a natural eco type system where the plants and ground filter and treat the water to clean it as in nature, why then is fish pooh such a no no.

I would think it would be a matter of not no fish at all, but ratio correct for the size of the pond and probably not large species of fish, but smaller ones.

Anyway, I would be giving them a go and see how it works, after all, every natural pond I have ever swam in back home had fish in it.....oh and no mossi problem either.
Nawty

Postby rubik101 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Nawty, you may be right. All I have read though, in the past, indicates that sediment will be more of a problem with fish in the pool. Also the ph balance will be more difficult to control. CO2 levels are important too and I believe that will increase with fish present.
If your water flow rate is high enough and the filtration is adequate then it may well be fine to include them.
They certainly will help with the mossie eggs.
All I need now is a piece of land oop north and I will have a go next year.
rubik101

Postby Samuinick » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Best natural pools in Thailand <edit for self advertising ban 19-Apr-09, Dozer>
Samuinick

Postby rubik101 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks for that but these pools are not quite the real thing.
I have a chlorine free swimming pool at my home now.
The pool I want to build up North is a completely natural water pool, without any chemical or synthetic control at all.
It relies solely on the filtration and cleaning properties of the plant life surrounding the pool to keep the water up to 'drinking quality'.
As soon as it's finished, I'll let you all know!
rubik101

Postby Nawty » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:30 pm

view my freshly constructed 'natural' swimming pool... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1352&p=8191#p8191
Nawty

Postby thomas.fontaine » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:32 am

I am quite interested in this natural pool thing. I would love to have a small one next to my house for the summer time, when it is so hot that you don't care about going for a swim in a slightly dirty water. What you need is just to jump in the natural pool and go out immediately. On top of that, having a real swimming pool where we are building our house, Khon Kaen, does not look right. It wouldn't fit with the neighborood and natural environement.

Nawty, since you seem to have done it recently, could you share your experience here and tell us the few basic things we need to know for planning a natural swimming pool (filtering system, specific vegetation...)?
thomas.fontaine

Postby Nawty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Thomas....mine was not the type of natural pool being talked about here as such.

The systems discussed here replicate a natural pond system, whereas you have the plants in and around the pond and a kind of 'fenced' off section within the pond where you swim and there are no plants etc and in theory this should keep this area clean and clear for swimming.

The filtration is done via natural means, although it is man made natural means as the water is filtered through various layers of natural material and plants before reaching back into the pond.

The 'natural' pool I just did was in a river bed and is therefore fed by the river, it flows through my pool and out over the boulders put in place to dam it up. We also dug the river bed out somewhat so it had a dual effect and is now around 8 or 9 feet deep. So we do not need any filtration here as it is a flowing river.

The filtration for the natural pool described here I would think could be lifted via solar or wind pumps and that would nice if no electrical mechanical device was required to pump the water from the pond to above the filtration area.

I want to build one these one day, but you need the right location for it. Both blocks we currently have do not suit for it, one is a sandy gravely soil, the other is rice paddy.

Good luck with yours and please document it if you do it. It seems simple enough, it should work and I think a critical point with one of these pools is keeping it shaded in as many areas as possible, reduces the algae build up and keeps the water clear and temperature down.

But I am no expert.

Speaking of Pools....who stole my pool photo to use on their website ?????
Nawty

Postby Smithson » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:04 pm

grant wrote:There is a commercial lotus pond operation near my house. The three ponds which are side by side measure about 10m x 50m x 1.8m deep. There is no shade and the ponds are crystal clear.

I'm guessing this is because the lotus are using the nitrogen, so there is nothing left for the algae to grow. The trick is to create a balance between all the organisms, whether they be human, plant or bacteria. I'm sure it's possible to do here, although it may be harder than cooler climates.

Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture and hydroponics, which results in clean water that doesn't need to be changed. Bacteria convert the fish poo into nitrogen which is then taken up by the plants. The trick seems to be plenty of moving water. If a solar pump was used, it would have to be pretty powerful.
Smithson

Previous

Return to swimming pool