"Baan Thai"- My battle against Time and Termites

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: "Baan Thai"- My battle against Time and Termites

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Chapter 14 day 94

A day of several jobs and already I am getting bored with it all. The urgency seems to have wained a little with my lad saying I have an extra month but then the small jobs that take all day look unproductive. :roll:

I finished off sticking the short pieces of teak cladding to the underside of the wider beam and then made an attempt to scribe the corner pieces around the trees.

DSC_0171.JPG

In fairness my finishing off pieces were quite good but until I get the car back which is now already 3 days overdue then I cannot collect 8 foot timber trims.

I shouldn’t have done all those short lengths. I regret it now, because I couldn’t get them all to match and the existing beam varied by 5mm along its length.
5mm doesn’t seem much but when you want the cladding to cover corner to corner and it doesn’t..then its more trims, more cover laths more filler.

Next job back in the bathroom.
Following Wasus suggestion to fit the tiles on the corner column I mixed some gobo together with the last handful of tile adhesive dust and banged them on together with a 40mm wide narrow reveal.

DSC_0173.JPG

Next job, and I am bored and pottering already wondering what to do.
With a small amount of the gobo still left over I didn’t want to sling it so I decided to re bed the two timber heads again after I re cut them and shortened them and straightened them out. I also attempted to run a coach bolt into them but it didn’t bite as it was all rotten inside.

DSC_0174.JPG

I did need to add a bit more to the mix but I got there in the end and succeeded in making another mess all over the floor.

I want to get rid of the original white quadrant bead from the top of the tiles and replace it with a timber trim.
The quadrant never looked good especially the mitres around the concrete column. Infact that first bathroom refurbishment was trying to make a silkpurse from a sows ear…….and I am doing the same again but with a little more thought this time.

Hammer, chisel, pliers and I knocked the trim out in about half an hour. I just filled the gaps and we are now ready for the trim bead….well, when I buy it that is.

DSC_0175.JPG

DSC_0176.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Chapter 14 day 94 contd

Final job for today I made a start on the step.

DSC_0178.JPG

I didn’t have a timber board 310mm wide but I had a few of the new bathroom floor tiles and they are 330x330.

I did go hunting for the same tile the other week as they were dark brown rather than dark grey but now obsolete.

Tiles would be quick and easy to fix but I don’t like to see two similar but obviously different tiles together. It just looks like a mistake or a bodge up :roll:

So after hunting high and low...Aha!.. for some boards to make the step I decided to use two boards. It was going to be difficult as they need to be scribed around the old doorframe which is on a ridiculous angle.

DSC_0180.JPG

To make life easier I cut the profile first of all in plasterboard. Making a plasterboard profile takes 10 minutes to get it right, but try the same with wood and you will be at it up to an hour shaving bits off here and there.

DSC_0182.JPG

Making a profile certainly helped. The first board needed only one slight adjustment. The second board needed about 4 return visits to get it right, shaving a tad off each time.

DSC_0183.JPG

So by close of play I have two cut boards that will need sanding. To fix them will be interesting as I have steel at the front, the original door frame threshold in the middle and the q con block at the back.

DSC_0184.JPG

Now is not the time to think about that because tomorrow Wasu has made a spontaneous booking for us to stay in a similar house out in the paddies and mountains again.

She only told me yesterday. She says if I am happy and chilled then she is and she can see I am carrying stress from this long drawn out job which rubs off on her.

It was 2 months ago when we last took a one night/two day break and it felt like a holiday which we promised to do every month.

So much looking forward to another getaway and also early new year which should mark the start of my diy slowdown….after that the drive and garden need to be sorted. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Chapter 14 day 95

Its supposed to be our getaway day but Wasu said I could have a few hours working and we will head of in the afternoon. :shock:

I decided to set the big bonfire burning. It was getting quite large and I thought it needed reducing for a start so off it went.

We made a lunchtime getaway just to find some chill out time and a chill out place to relax.

Our car isn’t ready which was disappointing. :( We took the car in on the Monday and they said collect Saturday. On Friday they said it will be Monday but would confirm. Then they said maybe Tuesday but it wasn’t ready. :evil:

Useless pieces of s**t they are, it’s a good job we hadn’t planned going a lot further so it was the good old days and two of us on my bike. :)

We only went to San Kamphaeng so half an hour or so but ended up at a restaurant; bakery, coffee shop place that was set in the middle of rice fields.

They also had a pair of bungalows for rent which were accessible by a timber raised decking walkway in the middle of the rice field.

We decided to stay over and just do nothing. :roll:

When I say do nothing, most people just think, well do nothing inparticular but play on the phone.

I was actually looking forward to playing on the phone as I don’t get to do it that often, but today this up and coming business, resort, mega potential place couldn’t even get the wifi working so it was quite challenging for me to relax. :(

I don’t do relaxing, I do doing, gotta be doing something

However I was happy they had some beers available.

1.jpg

1 (1).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (5).jpg

1 (15).jpg

1 (17).jpg

1 (22).jpg
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Chapter 14 day 95 contd

1 (42).JPG

1 (52).JPG

1 (58).JPG

There is a small lake with the bamboo/grass gazebos around it for dining and the owners father came by with a fishing rod. I stood with him two minutes obviously eminating bad vibes because as soon as I headed off back to the bungalow he pulled out a decent sized fish.

1 (49).JPG

All quite picturesque really, lovely colours and materials and then of course the sun sets over the fields.

1 (62).JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Chapter 14 day 96

1 (66).JPG

1 (69).JPG

1 (80).JPG

Last night we really went to town with the feed. Wasu is a fish lover, I am not, so it was a full fish for her, a rare but none too distinct steak for me plus my usual thai favourites of pad prik geng and panang and moo dad diao, and rice. Rice went well with my French fries, infact anything goes well with French fries. :)

Then a surprise came. We had finished eating when the owner came across the lawn with a birthday cake, candles lit and I said it looks like its someones birthday :o

1 (84).JPG

I was even more surprised when she put it down in front of me and I read the wording on it

“happy belat
Birthday
Hubby 8 oc”

Well yes It was my birthday but 4 weeks ago and Wasu had always said we could have a getaway at the end of the month.

That was lovely anyway despite the fact it looked like a car crash! :shock:

I managed to enjoy a couple of pieces before Wasu suggested the Thai way is now to go and give the rest of the cake away….urgh? I compromised!!! :(

We were up with the sun, and the rattling openbills and the gurgling drain system and after a breakfast of coffee and rice soup and honey laden bread we decided to head back home to continue of daily routine.

At home I just wanted to fix the step and call it a day.

So here again in the house I just set myself the task of trying to fix down the two boards for the step.

It wasn’t so easy to get them level with eachother as one of the boards was slightly thinner so it did involve some plywood packers.

The front step was easy to fix. Two screws into the steel and two into the wooden threshold. The back step was sitting on the qcons and not the best for holding rawlplugs but with three fixings and longer than average screws I was lucky. The screws bit into the small plugs and pulled it down well. :)

DSC_0244.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:27 pm

Chapter 14 day 97

After getting changed and making a start on todays task Wasu tells me she had a phone call to say the car is ready. :roll:
So finally we could go for it
The car is the catalyst for me completing more jobs in the house. I need the car to get the long trims and we need the car to collect the 140m of copper mains cable which is now sitting in the Nakornchai bus depot after its trip from Pattaya.

The electrician cannot progress the work in the bathroom until we have the cable and I cannot finish the bathroom until the electric main is removed.

Our glass man has put us off for about 3 weeks with excuses about staff leaving or he was busy but top and bottom of it is he doesn’t want the job because it’s a pain in the arse and probably regretted quoting us 2k because when I worked it out myself it was easily worth 2k. :roll:

Then there is the aircon. We ordered that and they said within 2 weeks. That was fine by me, there is no rush at all, it could wait another 3 months for the humid season but typical Thainess they want to please everyone then start making excuses.
The aircon has now been 3 weeks since I paid up front…in full.

Then there is the bed. We ordered that 3 weeks ago but did say we don’t want it for 4 weeks. We cant have a bed delivered until I have repainted all the walls and cleared out and stained up the floor so I have told Wasu this time to make the excuse that when they say its ready to tell them we are in Bangkok for a another week.

Just one task today, and that’s to fit the timber trims to tops of the wall tiles. I removed the old plastic quadrant the other day so I can use the trims I bought to make the window beads…that was a mistake.

It was 500bt wasted really but thankfully I have reused them all today fitting trims to close off all the tiles and even as an architrave to the glass blocks.

I was going to fit wood to the outside of the shower entrance but decided against it and instead run the dado theme along and I will clad up to the dado. My rough rendering from 4 years ago, I may try to tidy it up with the patching plaster.

DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0248.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0251.JPG

So just two small block windows to complete as I used up all the trims. Final job today I rubbed down the fillings to the screwheads on the door sill and gave them a chaindrite covering.

The rest of the trims also received the same treatment.

Good day.

Tomorrow I should go and get the trims for the downstand beams and get them fitted.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Chapter 14 day 98

Feeling pretty trim today; as usual though but more so as I went to Global just for a couple of timber trims and came back with 7 and spent 900bt. I wouldn’t mind but its difficult to find a straight piece of wood in Global.
The heat and humidity reduce every mega expensive piece of moulding to a banana. Global shouldn’t be allowed to sell timber because they have no idea how to look after it and I reckon most of it goes to waste.

I am looking for 8ft lengths though so a slight camber is of no consequence as it can be pulled back in line relatively easy but the really expensive thicker skirting and dado profiles at 500bt a time cannot be pulled back.

First job with the trims was to chaindrite them back and front. I should have chaindrited the bathroom trims before fixing really it would have saved some of the stain creeping down some of the white grout joints!! :(

I needed to finish of the small window first of all then in the room it was glue and pin the trims to the sides of the downstand beams.
DSC_0255.JPG

I have only done the face side on the two side beams, I don’t think the other side is necessary really, its only ever likely to be seen by whoever is on their back.

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0254.JPG

After deciding on a small dado on the shower wall I just needed to fix the dado paneling. It was fortunate I had a 2.6m length of teak cladding so I could just get 3 lengths from it, perfect.

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0257.JPG

Cut to length and rounded the edges so the plastic quadrant was still visible and had to fix with a few screws. A bit of a nuisance to drill and plug three small lengths of timber but my previous rendering was worse than a bumpy road and it wasn’t much better after I spent some time with the grinder all over it!

But finally job done, glued all the edges and now looking forward to chaindriting it and start the gap filling procedure.

DSC_0258.JPG

I think the main jobs are now done apart form the door lining which is awaiting the electrician to feed the electric mains through it. I could expedite things and fix a duct up at the door head I suppose.

Next job to re grout the white tiles and grout the last three grey tiles from last week; and then I can set up the basin.

I am now hoping that in 7 days time I will be ready to accept the bed. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Chapter 14 day 99

A steady day today. It was simply a chaindriting day. The dado panels fitted yesterday and the downstand beams had a coat of stain and then it was a full room sweep and clear out so I could do the same to the floor.

All those joints I filled two weeks ago appear to have shrunk, either that or the floor boards have started to shrink in the changing season. :roll:

1 (7).JPG

1 (8).JPG

I may have to accept the fact that I will have to strap the underside a lot more proficiently than before.

Maybe tomorrow I will get around to grouting the bathroom and then start setting up the basin.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Chapter 14 day 100

I did actually do the grouting today. I have tried to rake out the old grout with a chisel. It was fine but after an hour both corners of the chisel are so rounded off it looks more like a butter knife now. :roll:

DSC_0261.JPG

I mixed new white grout and re applied it. Same around the toilet area though it was still looking ok apart from where I have chaindrited it!

I mixed some graphite grout and finally completed the grey wall tiles and decided with what was left over to give the floor tiles another going over.

Quite surprised this re grouting job has taken me most of the day.

Finished off with a couple of quicky jobs. I swapped the lower tap and the incoming water supply tap for new ones and then a job for Wasu, to cut a pallet in half. She has this idea of planting long beans in pots and then looking after them on the back decking, tied to the balustrade apparently.

Stupid idea, that will last 2 days you see. :wink:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Chapter 14 day 101+102

I have spent two days it seems doing two simple tasks but the first day it seemed everything conspired against me to slow everything down but at least finally I do have something to see but not much. :(

Yesterday I decided to get the basin fitted so first job was to mark the positions of the steel holding brackets and then drill plug and screw.

DSC_0262.JPG

I have in the past bought dozens of cheap drills and why are they cheap…yes, because they are crap. 20bt for a Tuf masonry drill just like the ones you get for xmas in a multipack set or 80bt-300bt for one branded Bosch or Makita.

Yes I go for the cheapies thinking I can buy 4 or 5 for the price of a Bosch. :? (pro tip: this is the wrong tactic)

I now have a plastic tub full of drills for wood, for metal for masonry for concrete for “multipurpose” maybe 100 drills and 80 of them have burnt out or overheated and lost the head completely or worn away so much they look like an arrow head.

Trying to find a drill to march through the ceramic tile was difficult but then actually achieving 1 hole out of 4 I needed was impossible.
So it meant a halt to proceeding as I needed to head out to Global and spend some money on some drills that might last more than one drill hole.

From drills I went to the taps section and decided to buy a nice chromy new bum gun/wc stop valve and a nice chromy isolator for the basin. I also needed to get the basin waste trap and I really didn’t know what to get.

U bend or bottle trap?. I think I spent half an hour looking at every single different item they had for sale, I just couldn’t decide because whatever I bought, I would also need to buy a separate extension pipe drop and I wouldn’t know the length until it was set up.

Either way the trap set up was going to cost about 500bt.

In the end I went for the u bend, p trap actually but what is awkward about mine is that the outlet is about 600mm lower than the sink.
It was 600mm lower originally but I have built up the floor twice by about 60mm.

Back home armed with 4 new Bosch drills costing 80 odd baht apiece and a new p trap I drilled and fixed the basin hanging plates.

Those tiles are bloody hard, though, my last new drill a 3mm masonry I used earlier to start a hole but the head just burnt off inside its own hole.

But this time we got there, I did use 3 different sizes to make it easier on each drill! :roll:

DSC_0265.JPG

Next problem about to hit me. I bought the tap and the plug outlet last week together with some Jonsil silicone which I knew would be needed to seal the plug and tap and also the back of the basin to the wall.

Opened the sealant, connected the nozzle and squeezed…..solid…. :evil:

DSC_0263.JPG

Remember last year I had the same problem with silicone. It had gone hard in the tube and I took it back to show them the expiry date was 2 years ago.
It was exactly the same scenario but this time a global product. The expiry date on it was March 2015 so it s almost 3 years out of date…..ckuf!
I had just come back from Global and now I needed to go back again, but not today. I only need a small amount around the plug and its more in a paste state than solid so I can apply it with my finger.

I replaced the stop tap with a nice new shiny Hafele version just to lift my spirits a bit and then I set about trying to do the waste pipe.

DSC_0266.JPG

It seemed I had to take a risk and cut all my blue pipe off and push in the rubber grommet flange. The flange enable you to push it into a 40mm pipe and then to receive a 32mm pipe. If you get it wrong then you cannot add any other pipe to a hole in the wall..

DSC_0267.JPG

I think I gave up after that, my day wasn’t going well and I still needed to return to Global to change the silicone and get a 14 inch waste extension pipe.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Chapter 14 day 101+102 contd

That return visit to Global was my first task today. Returning the silicone wasn’t as painful as I anticipated but why is it they need 15 minutes to return something but 1 minute to sell something. :roll:

She wanted the receipt, my driving licence, my telephone number and didn’t really care what the prom prem was.

She called someone over from the sealant section I really don’t know why but she explained the problem and he just disappeared. :shock:
I thought he was going to return with a replacement for me but he didn’t. Instead she coppered up and returned my 119bt

I marched off back to the sealant racks obviously because I still needed some.

The girl; ladyboy; whatever was so keen to help…..but I just picked tube after tube looked at the expiry date and gave them to her…2015; 2016, pretty much all of them were out of date and I said they should not be selling these they will be hard!

The imported brands of Be bond were dated for 2019 and I did pick up a Sista general use silicone date for 2018 but the rest, well it just goes to show they have no interest in sell by dates and obviously think most people will not return a product worth 100bt.

Got the 14 inch extension tube and also a new tap flexihose but then couldn’t resist a bargain. You don’t see many bargains at Global but their Beger woodstain was always around 750bt, only Suksawad was cheaper at 715bt but they didn’t sell the walnut colour I used to get.

Today it was all 595bt so I dipped in for a tin of clear which should be enough to do the inside walls and floor certainly.

Now for some progress. I set up the waste pipes from the basin and then tried to assess the amount of mortar I needed under the pedestal. After fitting the brackets exactly to the dimensions on the instruction sheet it was still a tad higher than the pedestal…but I think thats because the house is leaning and so is my new tiled wall so yes I suppose the front of the basin is 10mm higher.

DSC_0268.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

DSC_0270.JPG

I made a mortar mix for the floor and siliconed the top of the pedestal and put it all together.

Marvelous! Finally something has gone right. Final waste and tap connections and I decided to test the water.

DSC_0271.JPG

Hmm…my problems continue. The water in the shower area was blasting out great but the water from the tap was trickling and the water filling the cistern was trickling.

At first you start to think the pipe is blocked with some debris until you test each component.

Disconnected the tap and it was flowing well from the Hafele valve. Likewise the cistern feed was fine. That meant the gubbins inside the wc was blocked up and also the nice new shiny tap on the basin.

I suppose in hindsight I should have allowed the dirty water to the basin flow out into a bowl first.I cant believe I didnt do that, impatience was the culprit. :oops: The filter on the tap end was indeed blocked with small bits of grit, probably as a result of me cutting the pipe off outside and slinging the hammer and bolster.

The cistern pipe I had to remove and give it a good clean with hot water and the calcium hydroxide. I seem to have to do it once a year as it gets clogged up with dirt and stops the water flowing through it. hopefully it should last a bit longer now we have the pipe filter system.

Sink now finished I thought I would fit the shower. There is a template on the back of the box so I lined it up to use the timber trims and an existing grout joint, then drilling will be easy! :lol:

Indeed it was 10 minutes and I had the shower back screwed to the wall. :)

Wiring it in however was a slower job. 4mm wires are pretty difficult to bend and manipulate so it was like surgery using pliers. The old cable needed shortening and getting it into the rubber inlet grommet was a major task.

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

But end of the day I have something to show for two days of fannying about a working basin and a shower unit. :)

DSC_0277.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Chapter 14 day 103

I have been putting the glass replacement off and off and when I decided to start the bathroom it was put back again.

However I am so conscious now of the phone call to say the bed is ready and I don’t want to be making a big mess when the bed is inside.

We never did find the glass man, a further visit around to his old house and we were told he had moved to San khampaeng and left a right mess of broken glass in his front garden. :roll:

So I already had the coloured glass and I have already set up the bottom bead as a stop because I suspect the glass will be a few mils short in the height. Well a fact; it is!

The glass in the windows is a different story. After trying to find the glazing bead to remove and couldn’t I was told at a salvage yard that old windows like these were built in-situ. In other words, when three of the frame stiles were set up, they slid the glass into the grooves and closed it up with the final stile and dowelling it together.

To replace the glass in these windows I have to do the same but in reverse, i.e knock out the dowel peg top and bottom and then remove the stile then pull out the glass.

But I wasn’t going to do that today…..because I had already roped our patio door man to do it for us. :) It didn’t make sense for me to remove 5 panes of glass and then take them to the glassyard to get 5 pieces cut identical. It was too risky to chance getting 5 pieces cut the same.

If the lad comes with 5 pre cut pieces he can trim each one as he goes.

DSC_0279.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

Most of it was as planned, but one of the sashes had been embroidered with 4 extra nails top and bottom to keep the frame square. Removing them was a major task. I had to try and punch them right through which did a small amount of damage but I can overcome that.

All told though, the glass was replaced without much drama, a few gaps here and there which will involve me planting on an extra bead at the front but when the coloured pieces were added then it gave the place a real kick. 5 coloured fanlights and one to the wardrobe and the house is smiling again.

DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0284.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

I finished my short day with a further corner grouting session followed by refixing the shower riser rails and heads

The old basin and pedestal I spent a good hour cleaning it up, removing the old gobo and silicone and old tap and waste. Its now in a good condition and I will get Wasu to sell it for a 1000bt.

She is also going to sell the 3 spare rolls of loft insulation as they are taking up a bit of space.

The tidy up is starting, Wasu is already starting to dump things that are of potential value. She wanted to move the big window frame but its too heavy for us to move. We don’t need it and we have asked 3 salvage yard people who have delivered for us if they want it. The concensus is that its difficult to sell one window on its own which I can understand.

I think the wood is more use to me; for example the handrail to the railings at the back which I have never completed. I will start to strip it down tomorrow me thinks :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Chapter 14 day 104

I am definitely on the home straight now. :) I have one sizeable task to complete inside and that’s the bathroom door linings and re hang the doors after trimming the bottoms.

1 (3).jpg

However I am awaiting the sparky to remove the mains cable, he is holding my job up now because it stops me doing something with the small window and also decorating.

But I have almost finished the bathroom. I connected up all the flexis for the shower and gave it a test run with the power on.
All was looking ok. It heats the water and I could see no leaks. :D

Wasu started the purge on cleaning and yesterday I promised I would dismantle the window frame.

“Shall we take the window downstairs :?:

“Its too heavy for us to carry, I need to dismantle it”

“What :?:

“Dismantle it”

:roll: What does that mean?”

“Well, take it apart bit by bit”

“Ok then why didn’t you say that?”

:shock: :shock:

“Because you want to learn new English words”

“I don’t need to learn new English words because when I divorce you I will not look for Englishman ever again”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(you guessed it, time of the month again…yesterday was a living hell for me, I even got the blame for it raining :wink: )

So after the shower checks were complete I stripped the window. I can reuse these long pieces of wood, two should be enough to do the handrails at the back after a bit of trimming and planning down.

DSC_0294.JPG

DSC_0295.JPG

DSC_0296.JPG

Following on from clearing the window away, the existing windows need some attention. The glass nicely fitted but the casements don’t close because the fanlight transom deflects under the weight and I don’t particularly want to scallop the top of the sashes to follow the curve.

What I want to do is to add a mullion or two mullions to jack up the deflection by 2-5mm. this will enable the sashes to fit in the casement without planning or sanding down the head.

The only way I can achieve this is to make two mullions from one of the old steps, and sit them directly under the fanlight mullions. It may look a complete pig; but so will trapezoidal window frames. :?

That’s the next job…..
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Chapter 14 day 105;106; 107

Three days has flown by which is worrying because that leaves me with only 3 days left before the bed arrives.

Wasu decided to call the people making the bed for us really just to check they hadn’t forgotten about us. I suggested to her that if its ready can you delay the delivery for a week.
It seemed they had forgotten about us! :lol: They hadn’t forgotten to make the bed but had forgotten to tell anyone it was already made????

How can you forget to tell someone its finished, its not difficult to see or just put on a shelf?

In the end we had agreed for a weeks hence.

I started this final weeks push by making two narrow mullions from one of the original outdoor bench back supports. I had been saving this particular piece of wood to make a handrail for the back but now the window frame can be used for that purpose.

DSC_0297.JPG

DSC_0298.JPG

I ripped down to strips about 32x32mm. My circular saw struggled really. The wood was so hard and I couldnt stop it drifting so in the end I had lets say two wavy edged mullions. :roll:

The make or break critical cut was the height. I needed to jack up the window transom by only 3mm to save me planing 3mm off the sashes.

DSC_0299.JPG

It took one cut and a final trim to get it. hammered them in, plumbed them up to the lean of the window! and then drilled and pinned top and bottom.

DSC_0300.JPG

With a tub of axle grease I lubricated the friction stays and a good result, window opens and closes and no planing required.

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0302.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Chapter 14 day 105;106;107 contd

I them made a start on what was to be three days of staining.
I decided to put a semi gloss clear stain on all the internal woodwork and it looked ok but there was also a lot of variation in the wood shades due to age, position on the tree, maybe even different species, well that’s a given.

DSC_0304.JPG

DSC_0305.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG

DSC_0311.JPG

The next day was going to be a busy day as we had booked the electrician to come for a two day job to set us up with a new incoming mains cable but conduited on the top of the boundary wall.

The existing aluminium core cable has been swinging like a washing line full of jeans and has taken two hits already from falling branches of our neighbours trees.

Despite my best efforts to ask Wasu to get him to cut them down she would not. :(

Having said that, yes the washing line is untidy and the three concrete stanchions carrying it are now at least 300mm inside the wall I built to the “proper conveyance”

Because the top of my wall was below 2.4m it meant for safety reasons the aluminium cable could not be re used and we needed copper.

A bit of a shock when I realised copper is 6x more expensive. A 100mroll is priced at 4200bt here. I needed 140m so it was buy two rolls and be wastefull or buy one rolls and then 40m off the roll, either way it was going to cost between 6-8.8k baht

The electrician was going to charge us 50-60bt/m he wasn’t sure so same price range.

Then Wasu stepped in and involved her sister…I have a feeling I have already bored you to death with this tale. :lol: :lol:

So, long story short her sister sent us 140m plus10m extra for 4200b plus 400bt to send it on the Nakornchai bus from Patts to Chiang mai. :)

The two sparks arrived and started by setting out for the conduit on top of the wall.

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0308.JPG

I was already at the back of the house staining the cladding because next to arrive today are the aircon guys.

DSC_0306.JPG
eyecatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand