Stone, Metal & Glass

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Stone, Metal & Glass

Postby andymac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Here's the latest updates, we're now current.
After lots of checking and double checking we finally get the gutter installation underway.
IMG_3099.jpg
Stainless steel profile 1mm thick two sections

IMG_0120.jpg
Two sections welded together raised in the middle

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg
Nice fit

DJI_0181.jpg
We have a stainless steel tube connected to the downpipe in the cavity

DJI_0184.jpg
Not sure about the chicken wire, that will need replacing

Roof on order from Steel and Solar Roof, scheduled delivery in about three weeks.
Just in time for the end of the wet season :)
A good milestone to look forward to.
Interior stone work will commence when roof is finished.
Then we can make a start on the electrics and plumbing.
andymac

Postby andymac » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi All!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year, if you can remember that far back.

Well that was a longer than expected gap in updates. As expected money making work took top priority for the end of 2017 and very little time to progress the build and post updates on here.
But here we are playing catch up.

Roof installed on time with only a few hiccups that were eventually resolved. The top of roof profile at the rear was higher than expected and required a last minute redesign and alternative flashing solution.
Lesson learnt, provide more tolerance for when things don't match exactly.

IMG_0297.jpg
Roof team making finishing touches to the steel supports

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg
The romantic soft focus look was I think condensation on the lens

IMG_0327.jpg
Roof panels being delivered. The large truck from Bangkok couldn't make it down the soi, so it was a mix of pickup truck and manual lifting to get them to site

IMG_0338.jpg
Just because it looks nice

IMG_0343.jpg
Plenty of RockWool insulation

IMG_0346.jpg
andymac

Postby andymac » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 pm

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg
Recess for refrigerator

IMG_0359.jpg
The mountain view is now nicely framed

IMG_0369.jpg
The underside of the concrete beam top left will be the finished ceiling height 2.75

IMG_0438.jpg
The top of the roof at the rear was supposed to be 10cm below the top of the wall. It wasn't so we needed a different flashing solution

IMG_0467.jpg
Roof finished, we now have a welcome shade from the sun.

Next job get the stonemasons back to finish the interior walls.
More updates tomorrow.
andymac

Postby andymac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Before we get to the interior stonework here's a few more photos of the roof

IMG_0587.jpg
Before the revised flashing is installed

DJI_0228.jpg

DJI_0229.jpg
Not 100% sure if this will work, soon find out in the next wet season
andymac

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Not sure Andy.
Problem area I can see is the backside/frontside of the flashing connecting the roof and the wall.
Also, how is the flashing tied to the wall? Can't see that properly from the pictures, but I assume that flashing is filled with Concrete or mounted over a concrete "lip"
If that's the case, and the concrete had lanko added to waterproof it, then from the side you should be fine, sure...
But front and back side might be points where heavy, driving rain might find a way in if it's not somehow closed off.

Overall, your work is simply stellar. Unbelievable work you're doing there. Good luck and can't wait to see the next update again.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Klondyke » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:34 am

schuimpge wrote:Problem area I can see is the backside/frontside of the flashing connecting the roof and the wall.

In fact, once you are under or near such large metal sheet roof, you can hear sounds of expansion/contraction with every markable sunshine changing in/out by strong clouds, especially when the air around is quite cool. Hence, that could cut the bond to other structure whatever bond is used.
Klondyke

Postby andymac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I had a hose pipe on the flashing most of the day and it held up fine, but yes the real test will be the next wet season. If it fails I'll resort to plan B or I think it's plan C, which is cap the whole stone wall with a Zincalume panel. Let's hope I don't have to go that far.

Yes the concrete at the top of the cavity has Lanko added and the Q con block walls were finished with Sika Topseal before we applied the stonework. All watertight so far.

The choice to adopt a metal roof in Thailand is always a hot topic with a variety of views being expressed - so here's my turn :)
A metal roof seemed to be a logical approach in this part of the world after reading all the specs, but as I hadn't built in Thailand before I decided to build the garage first and use it as a test bed for materials and details (see page 6).
The garage roof is the same spec as the Stone Pavilion and it's been up for almost two years and I'm very pleased with the performance. No leaks at all and the thermal performance is excellent. Acoustically, yes we do get a popping sound but only mornings and evenings when there's a shift in temperature and not really a bother. In fact the neighbours chickens drown out most noises anyway :roll:
I also have the same roof over the studio but with a suspended ceiling and and additional layer of insulation and you can't hear any popping sounds or rain hitting the roof. Of course your milage may differ.

I wouldn't consider using a tiled roof again.
andymac

Postby andymac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Let's move on to the interior stonework updates.
IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg
Slow patient work

IMG_0498.jpg
The holes will be illuminated glass recesses

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg
andymac

Postby andymac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:27 pm

IMG_6694.jpg
The window was originally going to be an open fireplace

IMG_6690.jpg
Recess for refrigerator, oven and kitchen units

IMG_0789.jpg
Still haven't decided on the final colour for the I beams. Any ideas?

IMG_0811.jpg
Beginning to fit into the landscape nicely
andymac

Postby schuimpge » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:14 am

For the I-Beams.... Pink of course..or you wouldn't know you're in Thailand... :lol:

But seriously...white is my first thought, but might be too popping..off-white or a very light shade of grey..
If the window frames will be white then I would go with a light brown wood color I think..

Cheers
Luc
schuimpge

Re: Stone, Metal & Glass.....dust and cobwebs too ?

Postby mikenot » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:02 am

A truly stunning and imaginative design, but I was not expecting you to continue the stonework into the interior. Looks great but I wonder about the practicality ? It seems to me that all those little crevices are going to be a magnet for dust and spiders.
Mike.
mikenot

Postby andymac » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Kung Hei Fat Choy - to one and all

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Luc - The window and door frames will be the same as the studio which is a very dark grey colour with a sand finish, so I will most likely go with something similar for the I beams. Either that or go for an industrial look and use a red primer colour :)

Mike - Yes the stone work was always planned to carry on to the interior side walls. I have to accept that I'm building a house in a field in the countryside of Thailand where flora and fauna will always have the advantage. Based on experience to date with the existing build it will all come down to daily maintenance and cleaning to keep nature in all her beauty at bay and I'm OK with that :)

All the best
andymac

Previous

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management