White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby tmx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:50 am

I haven't seen a lot of white roof in Thailand but I am going to try to find an off-white roof for the house that I am going to build.
tmx
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 am

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 pm

tmx wrote:I haven't seen a lot of white roof in Thailand but I am going to try to find an off-white roof for the house that I am going to build.


Like this?

IMG_7416.JPG


IMG_6259.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby tmx » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Not bad...is that your place? Does it feel a little cooler with the white-ish roof?

Light grey might work as well. I'll need to add enough gable vents as well to keep the whole roofing/attic cool.



Sometimewoodworker wrote:
tmx wrote:I haven't seen a lot of white roof in Thailand but I am going to try to find an off-white roof for the house that I am going to build.


Like this?

IMG_7416.JPG


IMG_6259.jpeg
tmx
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 am

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 pm

tmx wrote:Not bad...is that your place? Does it feel a little cooler with the white-ish roof?

Light grey might work as well. I'll need to add enough gable vents as well to keep the whole roofing/attic cool.

Yes, yes and about grey is significantly less good.

You can see the bold here, links in my signature
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:13 am

Simple white roof paint also helps extremely well. Had both my houses done and makes a huge difference.

Cheers
Luc
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby tmx » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:17 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
tmx wrote:Not bad...is that your place? Does it feel a little cooler with the white-ish roof?

Light grey might work as well. I'll need to add enough gable vents as well to keep the whole roofing/attic cool.

Yes, yes and about grey is significantly less good.

You can see the bold here, links in my signature


Thanks!

I will definitely pay alot of attentions to your design and build when it comes to time to do my own. It's still a few years away.
tmx
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 am

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby Fetchitnow » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm

So can I just use white or beige roof tiles OR do I use Colourbond like sheeting, to help keep the heat out? I will have an aircon in main bedroom and lounge. Maybe a Mr Slim Mitsubishi brand. Is solar power cheap and easy to install in Surin Thailand? Thx guys
Fetchitnow
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Fetchitnow wrote:So can I just use white or beige roof tiles OR do I use Colourbond like sheeting, to help keep the heat out? I will have an aircon in main bedroom and lounge. Maybe a Mr Slim Mitsubishi brand.

A white roof will be the coolest colour independent of the material used.

Is solar power cheap and easy to install in Surin Thailand? Thx guys
no it is generally difficult unless you are going to be off the grid or independently powered.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Fetchitnow wrote:So can I just use white or beige roof tiles OR do I use Colourbond like sheeting, to help keep the heat out? I will have an aircon in main bedroom and lounge. Maybe a Mr Slim Mitsubishi brand.

A white roof will be the coolest colour independent of the material used.

Is solar power cheap and easy to install in Surin Thailand? Thx guys
no it is generally difficult unless you are going to be off the grid or independently powered.


While STWW is right, might be good to add a little more detail for understanding.

Solar power by itself is cheap nowadays, is easy to install..

However:

It's notoriously difficult to get the licenses and permits to install a Grid-tied Solar system.
This is a system that has no batteries and delivers power to the grid.
In this setup (Thailand), you have two meters. 1 for electricity supply to the grid, where you get paid for the supply by your PEA.
1 meter is for incoming electricity where you pay for your electricity consumption as per normal.

There's lots of other options / setups possible, but each one of them (except going totally off the grid, has 'grey area's when it comes to legality, licenses and/or permits.

You could setup your own system like Sjeng has done, but the point that most people here make is: it's not 100% legal. By saying not 100%, I mean that the system works, could be totally safe (and is..in Sjeng's case) and good to use, but if someone from PEA checks and doesn't like it, you don't have any legal backing and you're on your own.

Alternatively, you could look into sub-systems powered by solar, for example:
Water Heater
Water Pump
Pool Filter / Pump installation
etc.

Cheers,
Luc
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:27 pm

On the white roof: I bought 2 shophouses and they are end of row units with a small open area between them.
Both roofs have PU-Backing and white paint on top. Temperature drop is about 2-4'C but this depends a lot on the ventilation of the roof as well.
There's other ways to further improve this (solar chimney in my case, the big ventilation 'stack' on STWW's house).

Along with the vented, white painted roof, you will sure need to isolate your ceilings or the cool air below will warm up very fast because the warm ceiling will become a 'heat-exchanger'.

Cheers,
Luc
User avatar
schuimpge
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Pathumthani, Thailand

Re: White Roof Tiles - Passive Solar Cooling

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 pm

schuimpge wrote:There's lots of other options / setups possible, but each one of them (except going totally off the grid, has 'grey area's when it comes to legality, licenses and/or permits.

Sorry, they are not grey areas. Without the permits and reams of paperwork (not easy for domestic installs) you are not legal.

However this being Thailand law enforcement is somewhat random. If you still consume power some PEA offices won't check, some may check and do nothing, others will change your meter so it can't run backwards, and still others will force you to completely disconnect your setup from the grid. Any office can change any time.

You should never have a negative reading as this will certainly get a PEA visit.
Alternatively, you could look into sub-systems powered by solar, for example:
Water Heater
Water Pump
Pool Filter / Pump installation
etc.

Cheers,
Luc


Those ideas are risk free.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Previous

Return to cooling systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron