Sakon Nakhon Container Get Away

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Sakon Nakhon Container Get Away

Postby Klondyke » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Just take a look at Lymphocytic choriomeningiti, Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, Leptospirosis, Rat-bite Fever, Cutaneous Leishmaniasis, and bubonic plague then decide that you have no problems with them as your neighbours

Wondering that I have survived my long years in Thailand. And with me the 69,999 people who are exposed to the peril mostly much more than me... :D
Klondyke

Postby Rudeboy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Hey again folks, sorry for lack of updates last few weeks but it has just been head down and get on with it and I reckon for the 3 weeks I was home i had about a total of 3 hours on the internet,

So I got home on the 30th just in time for new year festivities, so with them out of the way I got started back into the containers,

First on the list was to get a concrete base for the toilet and thai style septic tank installed, 4 concrete rings, I got my local guy to help with this,

20180108_164352.jpg
Septic tank

20180108_164349.jpg
Concrete base for toilet

With that out of the way I went shopping for decking, with a plan to use dura /shera / conwood or the likes I checked out Thai Watsadu and Global,

I found some wood Plastic Composite decking in Global on sale, its made by a Thai company called thai wood group or wood company, cant exactly remember now, came in lengths of 2.8 metres at 25mm thick and 120mm wide, is fixed using a T Clamp system, I also bought some of the composite joists and fixed these to the sides of the steel joist to make fixing the clamps easier than having to drill into the steel so much,

Total cost for decking was 23'000b and all work was done by myself,

20180104_144647.jpg
Decking 1

20180104_144631.jpg
Decking 2

20180108_164413.jpg
Decking Complete

With decking completed it was time to turn my attention back to the rustic outside toilet, but before this I wanted to seal the container floor ready for flooring,

for this I couldn't find any suitable wood / PU sealer but got some stuff thats meant for sealing concrete and roof tiles etc, not its intended use but I poured this down thick and rolled it smooth, then left it for about 4 days whilst I concentrated on the toilet.

20180108_164430.jpg
Floor Sealed

Picture is after the sealer had dried and I started framing round the main doors for the bug netting.

So back to the toilet, a basic frame was built, all wood used was completely free and milled from fallen tree's on our land, it cost 4000b to get one of the local village wood workers to come and mill it for us on site, all rough cut but perfect for my needs.

20180108_164356.jpg
Toilet Frame

More to follow...
Rudeboy

Postby Rudeboy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 pm

To continue,

Carried on with the toilet, got it in place and fixed to the concrete base using L brackets and long screws fixed into the concrete, corrugated tin was used for the walls and all water piping installed complete with cold shower and bum gun,

20180118_173540.jpg
Toilet

20180118_173554.jpg
Toilet Inside

Still have the roof to finish but since its dry season its not a big deal, I'll do this next time home plus I can sit and poop at night whilst gazing at the stars :lol: :shock: , I also maybe left the bottom of the walls a little to high from the ground so plan to put some plants around the toilet to close this gap a little and will just extend the door if needed.

Time to run some water pipes and get the tanks in, I bought 3 concrete jars (ongs) for a total of 1000b each including lids, 2 were placed behind the yellow containers and 1 at the side of the gray containers for rain water capture, trenchs were dug and water pipes run,

20180118_173615.jpg
Water Pipe for toilet and electrical conduit.

20180118_173633.jpg
From water well

For now I'm just using my small Honda pump to fill the tanks but this will eventually be changed to an electric pump, still undecided on exactly which kind.

Filter and 24vdc on demand pump house built using leftover WPC joists and conwood planks.

20180118_173650.jpg
Pump and Filter House

So it was time to get some water in the ong's, although one of them didn't like water and decided to collapse when a little over half full,

20180114_083151.jpg
Broken Ong

Couldn't be bothered with messing around with another Ong so purchased a 2000 litre plastic tank and got it plumbed in.

20180118_173704.jpg
Plastic Tank

Next up is flooring and electric / solar hook up.
Rudeboy

Postby Klondyke » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:56 pm

No exploitation of rainwater? If yes, then not directly into the main storage but in a separate tank. Then after sedimenting (the dust/dirt from the roof), later to add into the main tank - by a small pump or if possible by gravitation .
Klondyke

Postby Rudeboy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Time to carry on with the Inside of the container,

Flooring down, used laminate flooring with a foam underlay, hopefully it won't be too attractive to the bugs,

20180109_145553.jpg
Flooring

The facings are just held in place by a few blobs of no more nails type adhesive so should i decide to insulate and line these walls later then they should just pop off quite easily,

With the framing already done and suitably drenched in chaindrite, getting the netting done was next up, quick and simple job and was just stapled to the framing then a trim put around to hide the staples, I originally intended to make doors here so they could be easily opened for getting stuff in and out but after talking with my wife we decided it wasn't really required, if we decide to make these doors in the future then its no big deal to remove the netting.

Also got some bunk beds for the kids and a simple air mattress for the wife and myself and we spent the night there that night.

20180118_173518.jpg
Netting and Inside

Temps were fine as its cold season so was really cool inside so much so that my wife felt cold, might be a different story in the upcoming hot / dry season so will have to see.

Time for the electric / Solar install, I've been looking forward to getting this hooked up as its something I'm very interested in, first up was fitting the charge controller, DC breakers and getting batteries etc all wired in.

Wiring Diagram I drew up on Visio, this will eventually be expanded but it is how the system is for now

Wiring Diagram Reduced.pdf
Wiring Diagram
(180.6 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

20180118_173746.jpg
Charge controller and DC breaker box

20180118_173803.jpg
2 x 320w panels ready for fitting

Getting the panels onto the roof proved to be a bit of a challenge since I was on my own at this point but with HSE out the window I went Thai Style

20180119_132037.jpg
Nothing to see here ;-)

20180119_131616.jpg
Panels fitted and wired

I had power!!!!! I have a short video of powering up the controller that I will upload to youtube and post a link for anyone that's interested.

I got this done basically on the day before I had to leave for work, also got the water pump hooked up and some LED lights fitted and working inside the container and above the decking, unfortunately no photos of these working though but will get the wife to get some and will upload,

Have to admit to not getting as much done as I'd hoped, in all I spent about 2 weeks working there but I think I underestimated how much time things would take when doing all the work myself, however I'm pleased with the progress,

Whilst I'm away at work my wife is making a start on planting fruit tree's and other green type things that grow so will add any photos she sends,

On my return in approx 1 month I plan to start on gray container number 2 which houses the solar stuff, 1 third of this will be solar room and other will be a bedroom so I need to cut a door and window in this container, I think i put off buying a welder this trip home but no more excuses next trip as it has to be done, wish me luck.

Comments and criticisms welcome and will post a link to the solar power up video once done and any photos I get from my wife whilst at work on the greenery progress

thanks

Rudi
Rudeboy

Postby Rudeboy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:18 pm

Klondyke wrote:No exploitation of rainwater? If yes, then not directly into the main storage but in a separate tank. Then after sedimenting (the dust/dirt from the roof), later to add into the main tank - by a small pump or if possible by gravitation .

Hi Klondyke, yes that was the reason for the 3 ong's, 2 for rain water and 1 as a main tank, the plastic tank will now be the main tank and gets water pumped from the well via the filter and the ong next to this will be for rainwater collection, they are plumbed at the outlets so I can just open / close a few valves and they feed directly to the water pump, still need to do the guttering for rainwater to the ongs, one from yellow containers and another from gray containers, will be looking to get this done before next rainy season.
Rudeboy

Postby Klondyke » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:58 am

Pumping out a ground water thru a filter, remarks:

In case your ground water contains iron/metal substances - and discolorises after some time on the air - as it is the case in most Thai areas - a forcing it immediately thru a filter will help just for 1 - 2 weeks. Afterwards, the water flows just around the filter, happy not to get hindered. Why? The sand will get clogged by a fine iron rust, unbelievably impenetrable.

I have wrote about my struggling with my very ironized water in viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4611

After many "good" advices and different filtering systems I have got it managed, no deficiency of clean water for water spending house and garden and 60,000 l swimming pool (not speaking about the fish pond).

The main trick is not to force the water directly and immediately thru the sand (or any other kind) filter, but let the iron first get settled within couple of days, then later on to have it flow slowly thru a sand filter cascade.
Klondyke

Postby Rudeboy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks Klondyke,

The filter was more to filter out sand before reaching the tanks and is just a cartridge type filter, hadn't considered Iron content, Having a read though your thread I will give your method of doing a bucket test a go once back home although have to say we were pumping water with a hand pump from the well into large storage containers (bins) for a while and some of this water stood for well over a week with no noticeable discolouration but will check again with a lesser amount when I return home beginning of March.
Rudeboy

Postby Klondyke » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm

When you look into the jar after one week - and no new water has been added - the rusty water will get already cleared. As I showed the pictures of the bucket the discoloration by oxidation occurs within few hours, Later, once the iron has been oxidated enough, the rusty residues will sink to the bottom.

After 4 hours:

After 5 days:
Klondyke

Postby Rudeboy » Sat May 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Hey folks, thought I'd pop in just to say that this project hasn't been forgotten about, just been busy with work and other stuff so not had time to get much done on the project since my last update,

Have fitted the roof to the rustic outside toilet and also got a light fitted into it and that's about it really, wife has been planting lots of fruit tree's and stuff which are doing well,

we have stayed there a number of times over the last few months and the basic solar set up is working well with no issue's so far,

not got any photos to share just now but plan to get back to work on the project very soon so will update with more photos and info when that time comes.

thanks

Rudi
Rudeboy

Previous

Return to Your Building Story