New village build near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: New village build near Udon

Postby pipoz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 am

How is the garage going John

pipoz
pipoz

Postby ajarnudon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 am

Hi Pipoz. No work for quite a while. We are still getting heavy rain weekly and the site is still pretty boggy. Also, I am working back in BKK again - have two weeks off from 13/10, so am hopeful of getting some progress then.
I want to seal the inside of the block retaining wall before I backfill it, so that paint doesn't peel off the outside. Do I need a bitumen product like Flintcote (probably an expensive option, or is there a cheaper way?
What have others done, and did it work out OK?
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:45 pm

19Oct2017.jpg

Finally got some work done at our land today. Third and final coat of Flintcote bituminous emulsion going on to waterproof the inside of the retaining wall. At the bottom is the first section of drainage in place - to be covered in crushed aggregate.
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 pm

ajarnudon wrote:
19Oct2017.jpg

Finally got some work done at our land today. Third and final coat of Flintcote bituminous emulsion going on to waterproof the inside of the retaining wall. At the bottom is the first section of drainage in place - to be covered in crushed aggregate.

Is that you out there in the sun (overhead cloudy conditions) doing the hard work :D

pipoz
pipoz

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:25 pm

"Is that you out there in the sun (overhead cloudy conditions) doing the hard work :D"

Not likely - one of the village lads. :lol:
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Sorry I have been AWOL for a while. I am working back in BKK again and am busier than a one-armed paper hanger with the crabs. Work is 45+ hours/wk, and two months ago I started a Master's degree, which adds another 24 hrs/wk. Ah well, keeps me out of the pub till lunchtime, as they say. When I was last back in Udon, I had a meeting with a foreman and organised a crew to work from Xmas Eve to NY Eve - yes, I was working on the block when you were tucking into your Xmas turkey and Dom Perignon!
Drove back to the big smoke yesterday, and very happy with what we were able to achieve in such a short time. Here is a rundown with a few pics:
The first day was spent on the retaining wall drainage, installing slotted PVC pipe wrapped in four layers of 80% shadecloth at the base of the wall. Once in place, it was covered with 40 x 40 cm of crushed aggregate and two layers of shade cloth. Carrying the rock in buckets was very labour intensive, and we had 10 workers plus the foreman on site the first day. As the rock was placed between the wall and a couple of sheets of ply that I had fitted with rope handles, the macro followed and placed fill against the outside of the ply which was then lifted out, leaving the shade cloth separating the stone from the fill.
tn_20171224_150519.jpg

The first picture shows a section of the rear wall with drainage in place, and some aggregate on top of the shade cloth to hold it in place before the macro places the backfill. Altogether, there are six pipes coming out at a 45 degree angle which will allow me to put a hose down and flush the slotted pipe should it become silted up some time in the future. The next picture shows the macro spreading backfill inside the garage wall.
tn_20171224_153335.jpg

While he was doing that, we marked out the holes to be dug for the nine posts which I decided to erect at this time around the outside of the house . The macro then dug the 1m x 1m x 1m holes, which workers cleaned out and squared up by hand. At the same time another small team boxed up the reo at the top of the garage wall pillars which were about 15 cms shorter than the blockwork, ready to be concreted next day. Another two guys had started bending steel to make the 90 cm x 90 cm rebar cages for the posthole footings. Pictures here show cleaning out the holes, and luk buun that they made up (used to support the reo off the ground like the plastic saddles we use in Oz). The last pic shows luk buun wired to the under side of a cage and placed in one of the footing holes. There is a 5 to 7 cm concrete pad underneath the luk buun.
tn_20171225_112423.jpg

tn_luk buun.jpg

tn_20171228_113901.jpg

More coming ...
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:17 pm

We lost a day to wet weather, but the posts were delivered anyway. Five guys struggled to place them around the site.
tn_20171227_120118.jpg

Next morning the garage column tops (20 cm) were poured while my wife went in search of a fish trap, a young banana plant and some sugar cane to attach to the first post before it was raised. Also, a lotus leaf and 25 baht were put in the bottom of every hole. The latter 'evaporated' within an hour and a half. The prama did the ritual blessing, then lots of grunting as the posts were raised and braced in position with 3 metre eucalypt poles. A lot of time and effort was expended getting them positioned, which wasn't easy due to curvature in a couple of the posts. The end result will be OK, with thicker render providing the cosmetics.
tn_20171229_093911.jpg

Heave-ho and up she goes - the first of the house posts is raised.
In the afternoon the 240 steng concrete that we ordered for the footings arrived. But it wasn't all plain sailing - see pic attached.
tn_20171229_143243.jpg

Most of the concrete was barrowed around the site, after which the bogged truck was able to be extracted. Approx. 0.6 cubes went in each hole, making very solid footings.
Next day the 12 m top plate was welded to the exposed rebar on top of the outer garage wall columns. For this I used heavy guage 12.5 cm C-purlins. Next, the inside top plate (same spec steel) was welded to steel plates dynabolted into the posts. It was good to see both the inverter welder and the cut off saw that I bought a year earlier finally getting a serious workout.
tn_20171228_113822.jpg

The last day (New Years Eve) saw the 7.5 x 3.75 cm box rafters welded to the top plates, and finally longitudinal lightweight steel battens were welded to the rafters. Garage roof frame completed, and happy owners. Knocked off at 3 pm and we all sat down to a feast that my missus bought at the market, a few beers, handed out the pays and - happy workers!
tn_20171231_154920.jpg

That's all for about 6 weeks, when I have 3 days in town.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Apart from the construction work, I got some extra value out of my crew. One of them is very agile and (with the owner's permission) I got him to lop some large tree branches in the neighbour's property that were overhanging the garage. Apart from likely roof damage, that also gave a bit more light to come thru the glass blocks in the garage wall.
And while I had the welders onsite, I got them to weld up the steel that I had cut about eight months earlier to make a carry frame for the back of my pickup. Very happy with the result.
tn_20171228_162939.jpg
The new carry frame on her maiden voyage - being loaded with the steel rafters at Global House.
tn_20171230_153122.jpg
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Didn't expect to be back on the block so quick, but the pic below shows the garage roof sheeting going on last Saturday.
20180106_131811.jpg

At the same time we enclosed half of the 11 x 4 m garage with a reo cage to keep building materials and a few hand tools in. The same day we had 600 14 cm concrete blocks delivered (some in the foreground of the picture). These are known locally as Superblocks - they are very heavy and have two large cavities that can be reinfored and filled with concete - a great idea beside door frames and under lintels. In fact, cutting the webbing out of the top of the blocks by a few inches and laying reo laterally across them, then filling with concrete, you have superstrong lintels poured in situ. Pipoz and I both love these blocks - don't know that the blocklayers are so fussed with them though.
On a different note, spotted these 15 cm x 6 m heavy guage steel box sections at Thai Watsadu last weekend.
20180105_095446.jpg

The 15 cm x 5 m concrete posts that we used around the outside of the house had good heavy reinforcing, but two had serious bows in them. I am seriously considering using ten of these box sections for the two rows of posts in the centre of the house, either side of the 2.4 m wide hallway. I am envisaging them sitting on a 1 m x 1 m reo footing cage with two sets of transverse 16 mm bars welded at 15 and 30 cms, enclosed in 45 cms depth of concrete. They would be a breeze to erect and align, and three of the guys in the team I am using are great welders. And steelwork goes up so fast - the house literally grows before your eyes. Comments welcome.
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 pm

The place is even starting to look like a building site now.
20180113_111233-1.jpg

Another whirlwind trip to do some work on the house. On site at 8 am Saturday, back in BKK 2 pm Sunday. Really achieved a lot in that short space of time though.
First up we checked a couple of measurements and marked out a lot of levels - this was so that I could revise the plans (Sketchup) in the light of reality when I got back to BKK. We got a couple of things not quite right, but nothing too major. I had drawn the plans with a 12.5 deg roof pitch, but after roofing the garage, this has come down to 11.7 deg. And with single spans of roofing sheets, this won't be a problem. Just need to adjust the plan so that the the main house roof has the exact same pitch.
As my pickup is in BKK, we got the foreman to use his to pickup to get some stuff in Udon (25 kms) - hired a vibrating-plate compactor for the weekend, next call Global House : four HD 15 cm x 6 m C-purlins for some more top plates, primer to paint same, lightweight purlins to go under the garage rafters to support the rolls of foil-sheathed FG insulation we bought, a 2.1 m aluminium stepladder, and some lengths of 25 mm electrical conduit.
Back to the village, and painted the top plates.
After lunch (as pre-arranged) we took on 8 10-wheeler tippers of fill and the neighbour (who was severely hungover) came with his tractor to move it around the site. He did a very good job under the circumstances, manouvering his machine even within the confines of the garage frame.
20180113_143021.jpg

Meanwhile, the foreman had found a new toy - nobody else got a go on the whacker packer. We used this to compact the areas that would be slab-on-ground - the garage, kitchen and bathroom cum indoor garden. The rest of the house is elevated (five steps), and the outside area will be compacted by rain during the wet season.
Sunday the tractor man came back for a final trim, my three-man team finished the compacting and returned the compactor, picked up some more gear from GH, then back to the village. My missus sent me a photo and video of the aftenoon's work, and the under-rafter purlins had all been welded in place and the insulation installed. The rafters are three inch deep box sections 1.2 m apart, accommodating two parallel rolls of the two inch insulation perfectly, and allowing for a one inch air gap on top to obviate condensation and mould. I intend to use the same method in the house proper, with four inch rafters and 3 inch insulation.
LINE_P20180114_213840493.jpg

Cheers, John
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am

Re. Hi Pipoz
Just was reading an old topic which you started before you bought your land - a lot of discussion regarding the cost of fill. For information of others that might be embarking down the same road, the 8 x 10-wheeler tippers of fill I bought yesterday came at 550 B per truck. Very close - only a 1.2 km haul.
Cheers
John

So about how far out from Udon city center are you, as I need to find some fill for February. About 150m3

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:59 am

Except for inner-city areas, fill dirt usually comes from somewhere quite local. People are always having fish tanks or irrigation reservoirs dug on their farmland.
THB 500 seems reasonable to me for a 10-wheel truck, or 350 for a 6 wheeler, in the Udon area, but as these are always a 'one-man' operation, prices can differ significantly. So can the quality of what you get. I recently paid 350 for 6-wheel loads near Kud Chap.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi Pipoz
I am on the wrong side of town for you. NW of Udon, about 25 kms by road. I think that this excavation is a small scale project (as most are) and will probabbly be exhausted within a week. Please also have a look at the response I posted to Nigglyb's query - getting late, can't remember if that was here or on Udonmap. G'nite
ajarnudon

Postby ajarnudon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Quick update. I've been back the last two weekends. Have welded some small guage gal mesh to birdproof the top of the outer wall of the garage. Over the two weekends, we dug 40 x 40 trenches for the footings for the inside and back walls, poured a 5 cm concrete bed, laid 6 cm blocks x 2 high as (permanent) formwork, made luk buns, fabricated 15 metres of 30 x 30 reo with 6 x 12 mm deformed bars, and finally poured the footings along the back and inside walls of the garage. The inside footing will support a double skin wall, with 14 cm wide concrete blocks on the inside, a 7 cm air gap, and a 9 cm AAC wall on the outer side (being the internal wall of the house proper).
20180217_152953.jpg

20180217_171641.jpg
ajarnudon

Postby pipoz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 pm

ajarnudon wrote:Quick update. I've been back the last two weekends. Have welded some small guage gal mesh to birdproof the top of the outer wall of the garage. Over the two weekends, we dug 40 x 40 trenches for the footings for the inside and back walls, poured a 5 cm concrete bed, laid 6 cm blocks x 2 high as (permanent) formwork, made luk buns, fabricated 15 metres of 30 x 30 reo with 6 x 12 mm deformed bars, and finally poured the footings along the back and inside walls of the garage. The inside footing will support a double skin wall, with 14 cm wide concrete blocks on the inside, a 7 cm air gap, and a 9 cm AAC wall on the outer side (being the internal wall of the house proper).
20180217_152953.jpg

20180217_171641.jpg

Hi John

Good progress, you are out of the ground and going up

Regards

Pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story