Steel frame house

Specific to discussions about rebar and metal concerning strength, suitability or other considerations.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Steel frame house

Postby Danny the Dog » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:11 am

Hi, we bought a steel frame / prefab type house nearly a year ago. I'm wondering how we can get a survey done to find out if it is structurally sound? I know we should have done this before we bought (don't ask!).
Thank you for your help.
Danny the Dog

Re: Steel frame house

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Danny the Dog wrote:Hi, we bought a steel frame / prefab type house nearly a year ago. I'm wondering how we can get a survey done to find out if it is structurally sound? I know we should have done this before we bought (don't ask!).

Go to the Or Bor Tor and ask their engineer if he'll do it for you. Take a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label and say you'll pay for his time and you should be okay.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Danny the Dog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 am

Thank you for your reply. Who is the Or Bor Tor?
Danny the Dog

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:03 am

Danny the Dog wrote:Thank you for your reply. Who is the Or Bor Tor?

They are the department in your local Amper who oversee building approvals. All of them have trained staff who may work privately. For the above mentioned libation they may even do it as an optional part of their official duties.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Danny the Dog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:03 am

Thank you for your help. I wouldn't have the first idea where to start with that. I may have to rely on a builder to have a look for me.
Danny the Dog

Postby mikenot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Danny the Dog wrote:Thank you for your help. I wouldn't have the first idea where to start with that. I may have to rely on a builder to have a look for me.

Presumably “we” includes a Thai other half ? Get her to go to the local amphur office (town council/administration), the or bor tor (engineer/building inspector) will be there. Almost certainly there will be somebody there wanting to make a few baht on the side, just have to make sure they know what they have to look for, and are not just the office errand boy ! If you get a builder they may have a vested interest in finding work to do !
mikenot

Return to Rebar and Metal