- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Galvalume vs Colorbond

Postby Sheryl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:24 pm

I am about to replace a 20 year old fibre cement roof with metal sheet and need help deciding between Bluscope Colorbond and a generic Galvalume from KSS Thailand (AKA SKC Thailand), which is manufactured in China. The printed specs seem identical: 55% Hot Dipped - G550 and there is a big cost difference. However Bluescope gives a 30 year warranty and KSS / SKC does nto give any. I suppose it boils down to, can one trust the specs on a Chinese made roofing product that claims to be Galvalume.

Has anyone had experience with Galvalume from KSS / SKC or other supplier (besides Bluescope)?
Sheryl

Re: Galvalume vs Colorbond

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 am

Sheryl wrote:Has anyone had experience with Galvalume from KSS / SKC or other supplier (besides Bluescope)?

I used Bluescope on my roof with factory supplied insulation. My window shades are, I believe Galvalume.
The difference in thickness is immense, as is the thickness of the paint. After cutting the Galvalume (after 1 year) you can see rust marks along the cut lines, even though they were painted and sealed with rustproof paint.
I can safely walk on my Bluescope roofing, but would not dare to even stand on my Galvalume even if flat on the concrete floor.
Galvalume can be bought from Thai Watsadu in sheets, but Bluescope must come from the registered supplier.
There is no insulation on the Galvalume and it was recommended to me to use spray on foam if I was going to insulate it and that paint could be applied to the surface of the material, which Bluescope do not recommend.
The answer to your question is no, do not trust the Chinese product if you are after a 30 year warranty.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Galvalume vs Colorbond

Postby Sheryl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks!
Sheryl

Return to roofing