Room size planning

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Room size planning

Postby Paulie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Now i know this will mainly depend on the total size of the house but what is a minumin size for a bed room which will fit a double bed.

Im trying to come up with a plan for a 3 bed house but only have 12m x 8m to play with
Paulie

Re: Room size planning

Postby pipoz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Paulie wrote:Now i know this will mainly depend on the total size of the house but what is a minumin size for a bed room which will fit a double bed.

Im trying to come up with a plan for a 3 bed house but only have 12m x 8m to play with

Hi Paulie

One way to look at sizing for smaller layout areas, is to look on the internet at "One or Two Bedroom Apartment Layouts" (Images and Diagrams). They give you some idea of master bedroom sizes, which can vary and can depend on where your door entrance is and or what your proposed closet arrangement is (freestanding or built in).

Attached is a two bedroom apartment layout plan, as fitted out with furniture (although the second bedroom is rather small, its a kids bedroom or study room).

The main bedroom in this layout is only 2.62m x 3.50m and its rather small/confined and I would not suggest you go this small for a master bedroom in a house. If you can, go for a minimum or 3.7 m x 4.2m (for just bed and walking around area), plus then what extra you want for the closest & en-suite.

The Double Bed size (7) in this layout is 1.91m Wide x 2.10m Long and Bed Side Tables (8) are 0.50m x 0.50m square

pipoz
Attachments
00 Apartment 65m2-R2- Option - 4A2.jpg
00 Apartment 65m2-R2- Option - 4A2
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Paulie wrote:Now i know this will mainly depend on the total size of the house but what is a minumin size for a bed room which will fit a double bed.

Hi Paulie,

This is a book I bought in Thailand, 2 years back, for only TB 300. Its has a number of House Designs in it, some of which may be suitable for your plot. Its produced by the Home Collection Group and their are other similar Thai House Design Books.

Attached is an example of what the two pages on each design looks like, but its in Thai.

The book is worth a look. Hope it helps

pipoz
Attachments
Thai House Designs 120 No - Pink book.jpg
Thai House Designs 120 No - Pink book
Thai Design No 21.jpg
Thai Design No 21
pipoz

Postby Paulie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks
Ive pretty much decided to go with house no 8 off the crossy site the bedrooms are all 3.6 x 4m which is fine but i also need to squeeze a bathroom in that 8m as well.
Also do thai builders have problems with anything that not a 4x4 grid? A lot of the designs ive seen have the coloums at all different spaces
Paulie

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:29 am

Paulie wrote:Thanks
Ive pretty much decided to go with house no 8 off the crossy site the bedrooms are all 3.6 x 4m which is fine but i also need to squeeze a bathroom in that 8m as well.
Also do thai builders have problems with anything that not a 4x4 grid? A lot of the designs ive seen have the coloums at all different spaces

Smaller is no problem, bigger can be a little more challenging.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 am

The builders would have a big problem in case you decided to build the house without columns (sau), just with self-standing walls, like everywhere else in the world, but not in Thailand...
Klondyke

Postby pipoz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 am

Hi Paulie

I have spans of 5 and 6 meters and it wasn't any issue with who I used.

Just make sure your roof support beam is adequate for that span between your columns. From what you have said in your posts, you will be using a metal roof decking system, which by most standards is relatively light, That being the case, you shouldn't have any issues if you go to 5 or even 6 meters grid. There are a number of roof build examples on this Forum using grids greater than 4m x 4 m

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Paulie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks

Was only asking because from the plans of the design i was looking it it had posts spaced 3.6m one way and 4m the other way
Paulie

Postby pipoz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Was only asking because from the plans of the design i was looking it it had posts spaced 3.6m one way and 4m the other way

No problem Paulie

Many Thai homes are built on 4m x 4m standard grids

pipoz
pipoz

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management