House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Chapter 13 day 58

My concrete base has survived the downpours so this morning I am going to render the small brick upstand. Just a mortar render, not much of it will be seen which is a blessing as its not easy to render a flat wall let alone a curve. :roll:

DSC_0233.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

DSC_0236.JPG

With that job rattled off the afternoon was spent butchering the trees. After yesterdays tree collapse it spurred me on to doing some more tree lopping.

I started by chopping down two of our giant banana fan trees. Not sure what they are called but they are just a big mass of wet pulp.

DSC_0273.JPG

When we first moved here 4 years ago we had about 8 of them along the boundaries but they develop into giant fans with each leaf about 2.5m long and upto 1m wide.

Then they twist and start growing into the house, the weight and the wind has caused them to dislodge some roof tiles and the base of the well watered ones are now 18 inch diameter and pushing the fence line all over.

So I am chopping one down that is now hidden by our mango tree and also in the way of my proposed parking space/turning head.

DSC_0274.JPG

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

The other one is along the fence line I still have to build but this one is now hitting the roof and cutting leaves off every month needs to stop.

They are probably the easiest trees to cut down. Infact if they are part of the banana family they are classed as plants or grasses.

A few chops and you are through the exo skeleton bark, not much xylem in this one, its all phloem but the pulp looks like expanded polystyrene or even the mycelium of dry rot.

You can literally scoop out the insides with a spoon, hence the crater effect. I filled it with paraquat afterwards just to be sure. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Chapter 13 day 58 contd

The best news today was that I was going to remove the first heavy bunch of bananas.

1.jpg

It was Thong who brought me the young banana plant about a year ago and Wasu planted it. The bananas have been growing slowly for about 3 months since flowering and it was only yesterday I asked my roadside banana seller when I should be cutting them off.

That was a conversation and a half :lol:

Every time I started with “I have one banana tree” he followed up with “oh you want?”

“no, I have already”

“You want one”

“no”

Eventually I gleaned that when the 4 four corners of a young banana become almost rounded with a small ridge then that’s the time.

So today I cut the bunch off and then cut the tree in half to allow the young trees to take over for next time.

DSC_0238.JPG

DSC_0239.JPG

That bunch was quite heavy to lift at arms reach over the neighbours fence maybe 10kg I was surprised but when I counted there were about 90 bananas on there.

Wasu took charge of dissecting them and decided to give the neigbours two large hands of 14 bananas. That left us with 4 decent hands of which she claimed the biggest for Buddha at the weekend.

DSC_0241.JPG

The thing about picking green bananas is that you have to wait a week before they start to go yellow and ripen…but when they do you cannot eat them quick enough. I want and now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Chapter 13 day 59

This is going to be the final posting on this chapter as today I will finish the entrance quadrant. :)

With the first of two buckets of mortar mixed I had only 8 pavers to bed down. Then jointed them in and then found the paint tub.

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

Three coats of paint applied to the small walls both sides and then a quick trip to the builders yard to collect two bags of gravel to finish it off

DSC_0248.JPG

DSC_0249.JPG

Another timely chapter ending.

I say timely because today although my work schedule gives me a relaxing month in which to recoup my energy and some spending money, my son messaged me to say his year travelling and working in Australia is coming to an end in a month.

His plan is to head onto Bali and Indonesia then meet up with two mates in Phuket and they will spend a month travelling Vietnam before I can apparently expect him in Chiang Mai in November….and of course I said “you can stay with us until you find your feet” :wink:

So I need to get my finger now and start the refurbishment of the old house as he may very well be the first “guinea pig” guest at the House of Love (don’t ask me…..!)

“Live Update”

I am 70 days ahead of this post real time and things took a very unexpected turn with the old house. :(

Rather than continue this thread of “House Extension to Baan Thai” it makes sense to start a new independent one.

“Baan Thai- My battle against Time and Termites.”
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:53 am

eyecatcher wrote:Chapter 13 day 58

I started by chopping down two of our giant banana fan trees. Not sure what they are called but they are just a big mass of wet pulp.

Ravenala is a genus of flowering plants with a single species, Ravenala madagascariensis, commonly known as traveller's tree or traveller's palm, from Madagascar.

They used to be classed with bananas though as they can live for many years it is usually considered to be a single species.

And produces the only the only blue seeds found in nature.
IMG_1895.JPG
Sometimewoodworker

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand