Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:00 am

This has been done since we've been back in Japan.

The balcony railings and seating is well underway.

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

Preparing for posting at (Japan ) 07:15 Tuesday, 26 September 2017
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Zoss » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi STWW,

I have been reading thru your thread - impressive attention to detail. I can see you would annoy the Thai ... "craftsmen". :)

I may have missed it, but what does your architect call the raised section of roof? I'd like something similar, or at least run the idea past the (future) architect to cost it. Smaller for a smaller house in my case.

What is it in English - clerestory? You don't see many here in Australia, other than in government "passive cooling" or "building for the tropics" type publications. Seen one first hand in Khon Kaen province in a Norwegian man's house - his was a square room at the top of a stairwell, effectively the third floor. Hot up there, cool at the bottom!
Zoss

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Zoss wrote:Hi STWW,

I have been reading thru your thread - impressive attention to detail. I can see you would annoy the Thai ... "craftsmen". :)

I may have missed it, but what does your architect call the raised section of roof? I'd like something similar, or at least run the idea past the (future) architect to cost it. Smaller for a smaller house in my case.

What is it in English - clerestory? You don't see many here in Australia, other than in government "passive cooling" or "building for the tropics" type publications. Seen one first hand in Khon Kaen province in a Norwegian man's house - his was a square room at the top of a stairwell, effectively the third floor. Hot up there, cool at the bottom!

Thanks

I have no idea what my architect called it, as I gave him my sketchup model and he drew up plans that were extremely faithful to that.

The design was mine and influenced by our Waterhouse build http://bit.ly/WaterhouseTimeLine or http://meekings.selfip.com/nui/Groups-of-photos/Water_house/Water_house.html

Having since read up on the design it would be called a raised roof or clerestory.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 am

More work since we've been back in Japan.

Seating area outside the kitchen together with the garden access stairs

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

The front balcony seating area

IMG_0193.JPG

And my breakfast seats with a small built in table.

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

Preparing for posting at 10:56 a.m. Sunday, 01 October 2017 (Japan )
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:01 pm

The breakfast seating area is coming along nicely

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

It includes a built in table for my morning coffee

IMG_0279.JPG

I wasn't sure if it would be big enough so we have a few things one a cardboard mockup

IMG_0253.JPG

Preparing for posting at 2:16 p.m. Sunday, 08 October 2017 (Japan )
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:20 am

The balcony railings and seating is now virtually finished. The blacks are painted white at the moment but they will be painted to match the colour of the walls of the house later.

This is the kitchen side.

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

The front of the house.

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

My breakfast area.

IMG_0317.JPG

Preparing for posting at 10:22 a.m. Monday, 09 October 2017 (Japan )
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 am

Prior to my visa run we went to wood street to look at chairs. We found some old growth teak armchairs that should do nicely.

IMG_1901-3.jpeg

IMG_1908-3.jpeg

We then needed 4 armless chairs to makeup our eating table set and found a pattern chair (an armchair) that would do OK for that once they are made without arms, we were persuaded to go for old growth teak for those as well.

IMG_1903-3.jpeg

Next it was on to doors, we started with 2 for the living room.

IMG_1913-3.jpeg

Then 2 custom sized custom thickness doors, one between the house and workshop, and one for the rear workshop door. These are all made with kiln dried wood so there should not be much movement.

IMG_1912-3.jpeg

To top this all of while we were competing the paperwork we noticed the comfortable little stools that we were sitting on and ordered a couple of those too.

IMG_1909-3.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 pm

Water again.

To recap our intention was to have low level water storage which we do at about 6,000 litres

IMG_2245-3.jpeg

The tanks fit nicely under my paint shop, this may keep the water a little cooler. The tanks are connected with a 2" pipe and can be isolated from each other.
IMG_1860.JPG

Our village has just upgraded the water supply system to provide a much better, higher pressure, supply. This has ment that for now we do not need the pump from the low level storage until we have a village water cut, all we need are a couple of non return valves at the low level so that when the pump is used it doesn't form a loop or pump back into the village supply.

IMG_3343-3.jpeg

All the pipe used is PP-R 32mm this has allowed some flexibility in the lengths.

IMG_1861-3.jpeg

Having connected the high level tank the day before yesterday we had running water in the sink, in the workshop shower/toilet/hand wash room, also in its toilet as well. This afternoon I connected two mixer taps in the shower rooms though there was a bit of a problem. We now have a cool water low-ish pressure shower available.

So the high level tank is performing as predicted, giving sufficient water flow and pressure for everything apart from hot water showers with no pump currently in circuit. The water system will be perfectly usable when we have power cuts (FWIW there was a 7 hour cut yesterday.)
Last edited by Sometimewoodworker on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Non related material removed
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 pm

I mentioned that there was a problem. The detail was that the people who installed the water outlets did not know what they were doing. The ideal would have been to use the purpose designed dual water outlet. However the put in 2 single outlets, this would not have been a problem if the had aligned them correctly, but that was a challenge they failed.
IMG_3397-2.jpeg
Correct fitting

The wrong way

IMG_2107-3.jpeg
Starting point, badly wonky

IMG_2106-3.jpeg
Halfway through, better but not good enough yet.

Lucky I have a heat gun and a ½ metal hose pipe fitting, so I very carefully heated the metal insert which allowed the PP-R surrounding it to soften so with judicious brute force I managed to straighten the thread in relation to the wall.

As I mentioned we have a high level tank.
IMG_2065-3.jpeg

Also at the moment we are just using gravity fed water as we haven't decided on the pump we will finally get. I am leaning toward a Mitsubishi IMCH-55VS in part because the pressure is adjustable in 5 steps up to 6 bar

IMG_2067-3.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Reminding me of my shower set up. Mine were not 90 to the wall and it cost me dear; retiling and looking for chrome trims.
but only myself to blame. Western fittings would come with a steel jig.

One thing is when you make mistakes yourself you never forget. :(
eyecatcher

Postby schuimpge » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Looks fantastic Jerome. Getting ever so close to a house-warming party...
schuimpge

Previous

Return to Your Building Story