Building in Phayao

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Phayao

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:09 am

Saffles wrote:A few hospital days...now back to fun stuff!!

I had asked a local window guy about double glazed windows and he sent request to his glass supplier and they sent him a sample. I got it from him today.

The glass for a normal 120 cm x 100 cm window is around 300 baht (give or take). The double was 1500. About 10 baht per cm difference. Seems like a very inexpensive way to keep cooler and quieter.

The glass is comprised of two Low E 6mm glass with a 9 mm airspace. Is this adequate?

Mark

It will get a modest to reasonable heat reduction however if you want better sound reduction then using different thickness panes will be much better. Different thicknesses of glass reduce different frequencies, so the inner and outer if different thicknesses will perform better than 2 the same thickness.

IGU makers have no difficulty using whatever you specify if it's available. Also lowE can be clear or tinted, an IGU with double tinted panes will be quite dark.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 am

I am not really worried about too much noise for now... I will have one house that will be about 100 meters away and it is surrounded by large and bushy trees. Only one guy in his fifties lives there. Another house on the other side is about 150 meters away and is habituated by a Japanese guy who is in his late sixties. No pets. I think the most noise would be from my water pumps.

But I think the reduction in whatever noise and some heat help is worth the price.

I will ask about glass thickness. The glass was clear.

I think r-value goes up quite a bit.

Mark
Saffles

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Saffles wrote:
But I think the reduction in whatever noise and some heat help is worth the price.

I will ask about glass thickness. The glass was clear.

I think r-value goes up quite a bit.

Mark

The noise reduction can be really impressive ours are C4+1.52+LowEC4+Ars8+C5 meaning double laminated 4mm outer and single 5mm inner.

With the stereo on ear bending volume inside it is virtually silent outside. Or with the temple sound system set for the next village to hear, almost silent inside.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Saffles wrote:PS. Is it flooding down there?

No fortunately we have missed most of the big storms, my wife said Bangkok is a bit of a mess and she sees people wading through the flooded areas getting to the BTS. Fortunately her minivan goes in another direction and out here they are putting in new drainage pipes on the opposite side of the road to their last effort, along with a footpath, besides that the klong that was a pigsty 2 months ago has been dredged, finally after 2 years, and the water is flowing thanks to the gates finally being opened and that appear to be under the control of the Or Bor Tor and not the Bangkok Governor. The rice growers are happy, but the cleared klong is filling with plastic bags quickly, so I won't hold my breath. At least all the weeds have been removed along with the mud.....I'm wondering where to though. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Saffles » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Waiting on the chosen builder to supply his BOQ, should have in a week...

Been out pricing a lot of items that I am sure we will want to upgrade to. Example: whirlpool bathtub, outdoor water features, stone fencing, and of course kitchen EVERYTHING. :lol:

Also trying to design the backyard with waterfalls and fountains that I would like to do.

But the rain has stopped some so the wife and I got out and drove around. They built a new road around the lake here so we took that. The views are wonderful.

In case people not know much about Phayao... There is a very large shallow lake right in town and goes to the north and west of town. The night market is near and the road there is lined with many restaurants and small hotels. I remember my first trip here 14 years ago the road had a few restaurants but not much else. I should have bought it all.

image.jpeg
Looking from west of town

image.jpeg
Back to city again

As you can see there are also mountains to the east of the city.

image.jpeg
Looking west

The mountains to the west are some of the highest in north Thailand, 1400 meters tall. The lake sits at about 350 meters. Phayao also has mountains to the south toward Lampang, so is surrounded by three sides... Makes for unique weather at times. There has been some flooding of the rice fields near the lake, but not too bad.

My first trip here i was just about the only western person around... Now I see everyday.

Mark
Saffles

Previous

Return to Your Building Story