Concrete Countertops

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Concrete Countertops

Postby Saffles » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with using colored concrete for the countertops. I have a lot of counter area and cannot find granite at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Mark
Saffles

Re: Concrete Countertops

Postby pipoz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Saffles wrote:Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with using colored concrete for the countertops. I have a lot of counter area and cannot find granite at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Mark

You will need a lot of White Cement, ideally White Washed Sand and a Light Colored Quartz Aggregate, plus the Dry Pigment

What color are you trying to achieve.

Also try kiwimartin, he used a green colored render on his build (Ko Phangan Coconut Build) , so he may have some ideas

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Saffles » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Phil,

I will go for a grey color, almost concrete color. Will ask the local moulding shop... They make everything out of concrete; they will do my door/window arches.

Just wondering if anyone had long-term experience with it.

Mark
Saffles

Postby pedro12 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Saffles,

Yes, they'll surely cost you a lot less but you can face many issues regarding material durability and it does starts to have holes in them if excessive amount of water being used, But that isn't the whole story, I've heard and seen in many others forums that they can also be proved to be very durable and beautiful if done with some custom efforts and great coatings, also I think epoxy paint does a great job over them but getting that much durability and appearance can cost you a good amount.
pedro12

Return to cement, concrete and mortar