Hello

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello

Postby Hankus » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Hello everyone, Hank from UK (until November) here to say Hello to all.

My Fiance Moon and I have bought 2 rai of Longan (lumniae) trees in a perfect oval shaped piece of land in Hang Dong, Chiang Mai. I say perfect, but perhaps I am being slightly disengenuous. The recent rains have flooded it into a queasy mulch of soggy old leaves, mud and the odd dead snake. Flip flop territory it certainly aint!

The plan is to build a house amongst the trees, preserving as many as possible (currently 65 on parade, 2 fallen due to the rain). The idea is that the house rises above the canopy and the leaves appear as an untended lawn below, while the numerous Doi (s) carve up the otherwise smooth horizon in the mid distance.

Plans are at a very early stage, nothing decided yet, but we lean towards a creative use of adobe mud bricks for the walls and bamboo for the roof.

Let the fun begin!
Hankus

Re: Hello

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:30 am

Hankus wrote:Hello everyone, Hank from UK (until November) here to say Hello to all.

My Fiance Moon and I have bought 2 rai of Longan (lumniae) trees in a perfect oval shaped piece of land in Hang Dong, Chiang Mai. I say perfect, but perhaps I am being slightly disengenuous. The recent rains have flooded it into a queasy mulch of soggy old leaves, mud and the odd dead snake. Flip flop territory it certainly aint!

The plan is to build a house amongst the trees, preserving as many as possible (currently 65 on parade, 2 fallen due to the rain). The idea is that the house rises above the canopy and the leaves appear as an untended lawn below, while the numerous Doi (s) carve up the otherwise smooth horizon in the mid distance.

Plans are at a very early stage, nothing decided yet, but we lean towards a creative use of adobe mud bricks for the walls and bamboo for the roof.

Let the fun begin!

Welcome.

Your idea of adobe mud bricks for walls, if local made will probably, next rainy season, become just mud :D and the termites just love most bamboo. So a pretty high maintenance building.

However if you mean the standard red brick there are extensive discussions on the effectiveness of these for keeping the house cool ( hint, not good ) however if you like them to be exposed that is certainly a design choice. You may also be able to find someone who is treating bamboo against insects and rot.

Good luck, you may need it. :shock:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 am

Why not mud bricks?

It's just to reconsider, is a single wall (whatever thickness) enough for thermal insulation - if exposed to south-west sunshine? Or does it need something more (e.g. an air gap between two cladding)?

There is a number of realized projects, even in Thailand, surely interesting readings:

https://usf-pcgs.com/2015/03/02/laying- ... -thailand/
https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/ear ... n-thailand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXDTLPGvlos

And why not a bamboo construction? Bamboo is a wonderful material when suitably treated:

https://www.designboom.com/architecture ... 8-09-2017/
Klondyke

Postby Hankus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Good morning and thank you for your warm words of encouragement :D

Klondyke you hit the bamboo on the head with your link to the CLC built sports hall at Panyaden International school. We visited that school with Dr Markus of CLC and were astounded not just with the bamboo architecture, but also with the rammed earth and adobe classrooms. Subject to costs, we think he's our man!
Hankus

Return to Introduce Yourself