Marriage Visa

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Marriage Visa

Postby Saffles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi All,

Received my one year marriage visa and was curious about other's experiences.

Talk to the Phayao Immigration Police back in May about the procedures... Ok the wife did the talking... got a list of things they needed: photos at the current house (sister's) of various types, map to the house, lots of paperwork, bank accounts statement, etc. all in triplicate. Thankfully the wife is a very detailed (ex school teacher). Completed all a month ago.

Later they came to the house for a visit, interviewed family, interviewed neighbors... Took photos of me cutting bushes (guess showing I cared for the property).

They then did all the paperwork, sent to Chiang Mai and today picked up.

The girl there said she would come to the house for the ninety day report papers... We do not need to go there.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Mark
Saffles

Re: Marriage Visa

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Saffles wrote:Hi All,

Received my one year marriage visa and was curious about other's experiences.

Talk to the Phayao Immigration Police back in May about the procedures... Ok the wife did the talking... got a list of things they needed: photos at the current house (sister's) of various types, map to the house, lots of paperwork, bank accounts statement, etc. all in triplicate. Thankfully the wife is a very detailed (ex school teacher). Completed all a month ago.

Later they came to the house for a visit, interviewed family, interviewed neighbors... Took photos of me cutting bushes (guess showing I cared for the property).

They then did all the paperwork, sent to Chiang Mai and today picked up.

The girl there said she would come to the house for the ninety day report papers... We do not need to go there.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Mark

Two points
1) it isn't a visa it is an extension of stay. This quite important as there are different rules applied to visas and extensions of stay.

Visas are always issued outside Thailand at embassy's and consulates(there is one special case but that is cancelled the day it is issued). Extensions of stay are only issued bi immigration offices in Thailand. Elite visas excluded
2) for the 90 day report, if she does come to your house, you are very very lucky and should supply "tea". If not do not report more than 7 days past the due date as that will cost you 2,000 Baht.

note the 90 day report date is independent of your extension of stay date.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Saffles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Yes, one year extension... But I think everyone calls it a visa.

She came by before to get paperwork... Maybe because my SIL is a Big-wig in the government? Or the envelope my wife always has in her hand?

Either way... *smiles*

In was just wondering if the house visit for interviews was SOP...

Mark
Saffles

Postby schuimpge » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Saffles wrote:

Mark

Nope.. Absolutely not!

Getting a number and stand in line at the (most times) crowded immigration office is SOP.
(even when holding a work permit like I do)

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Saffles wrote:Yes, one year extension... But I think everyone calls it a visa.

Well no they don't (not if they know better). Because, as I said, the rules for extensions of stay and for visas (you don't have a visa now) are different.

So if you need answers for an extension of stay but call it a visa you will not get the information you need.

Do make sure that you get a re-entry permit before leaving the country or your extension of stay will be cancelled.
If you had a one year marriage visa for the first year you would not need a re-entry permit
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Jerome,
Is that fact regarding the 1st year marriage visa (not extension) and not requiring a re-entry stamp.
It doesn't effect me, but raised it to check if it correct as wouldn't like anyone to screw up if it's not right.
To me it doesn't sound right, but that's just my thought without any clear knowledge of the rule.
Ians

Postby mikenot » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 pm

schuimpge wrote:
Saffles wrote:

Mark

Nope.. Absolutely not!

Getting a number and stand in line at the (most times) crowded immigration office is SOP.
(even when holding a work permit like I do)

Cheers,
Luc

Actually, it can be SOP in some places ! A friend of mine had a couple of immigration staff come out and talked to the neighbours, checked he had possessions in the house, all to make sure he was really living there full time I guess, and that it was not a sham marriage just for a visa/extension. And this was as well as the photos of them together outside and inside the house. BUT, as is normal in Thailand, not every office has the same rulebook ! Maybe Phayao Immigration have plenty of time on their hands ?

"Took photos of me cutting bushes (guess showing I cared for the property). ....or for evidence of you working illegally Saffles ! :D
mikenot

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Ians wrote:Jerome,
Is that fact regarding the 1st year marriage visa (not extension) and not requiring a re-entry stamp.
It doesn't effect me, but raised it to check if it correct as wouldn't like anyone to screw up if it's not right.
To me it doesn't sound right, but that's just my thought without any clear knowledge of the rule.

Yes it is. It is a Non-OA visa it is multi entry and give a 1 year permission to stay each time you enter until it expires. This means that if you get your timing right with leaving Thailand it will give you 2 years of stay without visiting immigration for an extension of stay. You still have to do a 90 day report of course.

You will still need a re-entry permit after the visa expires.

However the requirements are a little onerous including a police report and it is only ever issued in your home country or county of legal residents.

This is why most people get a single entry Non-O visa.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks..... cleared that up nicely.
Ians

Postby Saffles » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Phayao does have about 300 foreigners here...haha

Went to the office at 10:30 am Friday, no one there. Most ever seen there was maybe two or three couples.

I was thinking about the illegal working when they asked me to do...

Mark
Saffles

Postby kmanonmaui » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:54 pm

I am more than a bit confused myself now. When I applied for myself and our USA born children, I expected to get a 90 day "visa" and then have to apply in Thailand for a one-year visa/extension/whatever. This is what each one of us received back with our passport, and it does state "Visa":

NKM_TypeOVisa.png

But, it obviously does not have an "Expiration Date" either, beyond the "Enter Before" and they all are for "Multiple Entry". We did not have to provide much more than showing some minimal financial information, no police records, etc. in obtaining these from the Royal Thai Consulate, Los Angeles.

Is this what others received? Different? Can anyone confirm the requirements?
TIA,
-k-

p.s. be boots on ground in Udon on Sept. 10th...with the little ones doing stop overs wherever we can to get them rested before the next flight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby kmanonmaui » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:06 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:I am more than a bit confused myself now. When I applied for myself and our USA born children, I expected to get a 90 day "visa" and then have to apply in Thailand for a one-year visa/extension/whatever. This is what each one of us received back with our passport, and it does state "Visa":

NKM_TypeOVisa.png

But, it obviously does not have an "Expiration Date" either, beyond the "Enter Before" and they all are for "Multiple Entry". We did not have to provide much more than showing some minimal financial information, no police records, etc. in obtaining these from the Royal Thai Consulate, Los Angeles.

TIA,
-k-

p.s. be boots on ground in Udon on Sept. 10th...with the little ones doing stop overs wherever we can to get them rested before the next flight.

Hum, this link does seem to confirm what Jerome has already stated. Odd wording on the "stamp", but think I now understand...maybe :-)

http://pattaya-funtown.com/visa_marriage/
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:00 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:I am more than a bit confused myself now. When I applied for myself and our USA born children, I expected to get a 90 day "visa" and then have to apply in Thailand for a one-year visa/extension/whatever. This is what each one of us received back with our passport, and it does state "Visa":

NKM_TypeOVisa.png

TIA,
-k-

You do not have a Non-OA visa, that would get you a 1 year permission to stay stamp each time you enter.

The Enter before date is commonly called the "Expiration Date"

You will get a permission to stay stamp of 90 days when you enter. You will need to do a border run every 90 days. You need to do your last border run on or before the 18th July. This will get the maximum usage from your visa.

When there is (depending on the immigration office) 45 to 30 days left on any permission to stay you can then get a 1 year extension of stay, this will cancel your current visa. That is why most people will wait until September before going for the extension.

You could have saved money by asking for single entry visas.

You can take advantage of the visas you have and visit Laos a few times.

You can extend each entry by 30 (or 60 if married to a Thai) days for each entry 1,900 Baht

Depending on your age you can get an extension based on retirement (over 50) or marriage
The immigration office will try to get you to get the retirement extension if you have too much money in the bank and you are over 50, as it is easier for them.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:05 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:

NKM_TypeOVisa.png

TIA,
-k-

Hum, this link does seem to confirm what Jerome has already stated. Odd wording on the "stamp", but think I now understand...maybe :-)

http://pattaya-funtown.com/visa_marriage/

There is some incorrect information in that posting, too much fo me to bother correcting it here
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 pm

I have been on a retirement visa for the last 15 years. I report every 90 days and gave a new report day stamped on the old form which they tear off the bottom.
Today I reported to Nontharburi and submitted my passport and the 90 days extension of stay, Within 4-5 minutes I had a computer printout form that stays in the passport to report in 90 days. All of it is now done by swiping the passport through their machine and checking that the information supplied is correct. It is now simple, I was informed that when the Extension of Stay expires in December I will need the usual Stat Dec from the Embassy stating my finances, these will be compared by the computer to my previous applications.
I have a Type OA Retirement Visa that I have been informed can now be issued/extended for 10 years on application and payment of the fee. Which means that I no longer have to go to the Embassy and can just submit the residence form, my two government pension forms and they in turn will approve a ten year Retirement Visa based on the information in their computer system. I will still have to report every 90 days.
I have not done a border run for 15 years. I believe that this also covers marriage Visas.
This is the latest information as, as I said, this happened today.
Roger Ramjet

Next

Return to Life in Thailand