Building costs, materials and tools in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building costs, materials and tools in Chiang Mai

Postby bjm1950 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi All
I am an old, ('crusty old man', according to guess who!),builder and Quantity Surveyor from Perth, Western Australia, with many years experience with my own building company and also in the mining industry.
I am thinking of building a container here in CM, but struggle to find a place where you can get a good idea of prices for quality materials and power tools to cover all that you require for a good build.
I propose setting up a database in a spreadsheet that will be freely available to anybody interested, of good suppliers of materials and tools here.
There is a lot for me to learn here about methods and materials, but time is on my side.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers. :D
bjm1950

Re: Building costs, materials and tools in Chiang Mai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:39 pm

bjm1950 wrote:Hi All
I am an old, ('crusty old man', according to guess who!),builder and Quantity Surveyor from Perth, Western Australia, with many years experience with my own building company and also in the mining industry.
I am thinking of building a container here in CM, but struggle to find a place where you can get a good idea of prices for quality materials and power tools to cover all that you require for a good build.
I propose setting up a database in a spreadsheet that will be freely available to anybody interested, of good suppliers of materials and tools here.
There is a lot for me to learn here about methods and materials, but time is on my side.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers. :D

Welcome.
That sounds like an interesting idea and a lot of work.

I'll be interested to see how things go.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 am

Once in Chiang Mai you are in the best place for a construction and furnishing material. Just drive around and you will see plenty of sources, beside Global House, Thai Watsadu, HomePro, Boonthaworn and many others. Why a container? For your dwelling? A second hand container you can get offered at shipping companies, there are plenty in Chiang Mai as well.
And by driving around, you will see many beautiful ideas about a dwelling (other than a container) ...
Klondyke

Postby Saffles » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Saw 40' containers for sale for a little less than 60,000. That was advertised price...I am sure can negotiate... This is Asia!!

Mark
Saffles

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:40 pm

count me in for any help also; I have a very good grasp on how to find most things in Chiang Mai.

Containers for example are being sold next door to the Ratilanna
eyecatcher

Return to Your Building Story