Seeking Builder recommendations

Chachoengsao, Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Prachin, Pattaya, Rayong, Sa Kaeo, Trat

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Seeking Builder recommendations

Postby Thai Dhupp » Mon May 08, 2017 8:10 pm

Klondyke wrote:
kmanonmaui wrote:
My best recommendation, if it is possible for you, is:
1) Figure out what is possible and not possible as far as materials and local worker's skill set (I've had to adjust mine a lot along my journey, which is only about 1/4 done so far);
2) Get some solid recommendations from others as far as "builders", pick one and discuss time-frames, etc. with them.
3) Bring someone from your own country on holiday for 3-6 months that has building experience and have them oversee ALL day to day operations.

So far, I have not been able to achieve #3, and my building experience is on the border of helping and hurting, mainly because I have had the same expectations of a build in Thailand as I have had in the US. Had I read more threads and not been so sure of myself I would have been more of a help than a burden on my building so far. Hoping I can do a turn-about going forward.

Ad 1) there is a great choice nowadays here.
Ad 2) sure some recommendations and references are always OK. Time frame? We are in LOS.
Ad 3) I do not think it is workable. Somebody who does not have an experience with people of LOS and all the circumstances around can hardly achieve that.

Hi Klondyke... yep... i have no illusions about timescales!! having been in BKK for 4 years between the work, i know how deadlines slip 'with a smile' and i am prepared for it. the main thing is not to pressure too much and end up with a even worse job that expected. we have the same problem here on my job in UAE. a multi national work force that sometimes rush under pressure and we end up re doing it.

I would like some / any/'one, even' recommendation!! Let's see if anyone can report on a good job well done for me to check into. I would like to bring some one from UAE to oversee the work but it's simply not practical -they are getting paid 2-3 times here what they could make in LOS, plus free food and accommodation. Definitely do not want to upset the day rate apple cart in Chonburi!
Thai Dhupp

Postby Thai Dhupp » Thu May 11, 2017 2:11 pm

So... to update... I am off to UK tonight, followed by a flight to Thailand to start the land raising, before the rains come.

The plot itself is already on higher ground and has never flooded before but let's not take any chances!

At the same time we will be pursuing a couple of local leads for those elusive builders! Hopefully we will have a productive time.

I think, once I have the pix of the land raising, I better start a building thread properly, right ?(can anyone confirm?) I can't do an entire build under the heading 'seeking builder recommendations'!

If so, where am I putting such a thread? Under the Eastern region OR under construction?
Thai Dhupp

Postby Thai Dhupp » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Well... no answers since 11-05-17 to my RFI. lol... I suppose I will just have to guess where to start that thread!?

so...forgive me if I put it in the wrong place

(Im new here, BTW)
Thai Dhupp

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Thai Dhupp wrote:
If so, where am I putting such a thread? Under the Eastern region OR under construction?

The usual place is

Board index ‹ Construction ‹ Your Building Story
Sometimewoodworker

Postby rchapstick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:25 am

Thai Dhupp wrote:Well... my build is still some way off but... never too early to seek out someone to do it!!

I am pursuing some other leads in the area already but...can any of you recommend a good builder for a house build project in the Bo Thong area (actually it's about 25km from Bo Thong but that's the nearest recognisable settlement!)

Especially interested if you had a positive experience with your suggestion.

Looking forward to 100's of replies! :lol: (well I can hope...)

Thanks in advance.

I just finished a build in Bang Saray. i just started a build story thread, and will upload the whole tale in the next week or two.
Had a great experience with my builder. PM me if you are still looking.
rchapstick

Postby Thai Dhupp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Thai Dhupp wrote:

The usual place is

Board index ‹ Construction ‹ Your Building Story

Sorry for the massively late reply STWW and thanks for the info... We have indeed finished the land raising so , with the piling to come, I will check into starting the thread itself. Thanks again...
Thai Dhupp

Postby Thai Dhupp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:45 pm

rchapstick wrote:
Thai Dhupp wrote:Well... my build is still some way off but... never too early to seek out someone to do it!!

I am pursuing some other leads in the area already but...can any of you recommend a good builder for a house build project in the Bo Thong area (actually it's about 25km from Bo Thong but that's the nearest recognisable settlement!)

Especially interested if you had a positive experience with your suggestion.

Looking forward to 100's of replies! :lol: (well I can hope...)

Thanks in advance.

I just finished a build in Bang Saray. i just started a build story thread, and will upload the whole tale in the next week or two.
Had a great experience with my builder. PM me if you are still looking.

PM is sent rchapstick, and thanks for the input and info. Here's hoping....!
Thai Dhupp

Postby Thai Dhupp » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:02 am

Wow! doesn't time fly...!?

Just to close this thread, we have narrowed down our initial choice of 7 builders to a final 2 and we are now 95% sure of who will be doing it.

Thanks to all of you who stopped by and special thanks to all who contributed to the thread.

OK.. I have one other question before we start on the building adventure at the end of the year, so look out for me.. Thai Dhupp, and the one 'n' only... Princess Joy.
Thai Dhupp

Previous

Return to Eastern Region (including Pattaya)