Hi there !

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hi there !

Postby mikenot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm Mike, I signed up a few weeks ago, and have been busy reading just about every topic since then !
I'm an Aussie,62, retired, and currently living in Bangkok with my missus, but are planning to build on land she owns in her home town, about 30 kms north of Ubon Ratchathani. When we went there last Songkran she casually (and for the first time) mentioned her land just on the outskirts of town ( https://www.google.com/maps/@15.5179207 ... a=!3m1!1e3 ). Her original block is about 40m x 20m, but when we went out to have a look I saw the land behind was for sale too. After a bit of negotiating "we" bought that too so we now have a total of just under 1600 sq.m, approx. 40m x 40, minus a little bit at two corners where the dirt track goes around the block.
The original block was already filled when she bought it, after at least 2 wet seasons of settling it is around 70/80cms above road level. The new plot is only about 20cms above road level but already has a wall (blocks and 3 rows of wire) around it, columns for a gate, and a bore (although one of the neighbours says the water supply is slow thanks to somebody putting in an oversized well !) It is about 80m from the main road and town water supply, and there is electricity going to a nearby house past the front of our block (at a height of about 3m so we will have to see about that !)
The plan at the moment is to build the house on the higher block, looking out over the garden and to rice paddies behind. Most of my money is tied up until near the end of 2018 so we will not be building in a hurry, although I have toyed with the idea of building the columns and slab this year to allow for any settling, and perhaps a small concrete block storage shed/workshop/outside toilet ?
In the meantime I will continue playing with Sketchup, modifying lots of house plans, discarding them and starting again. The GF's only requirements are for 2 bedrooms and a Buddha room/area, everything else is up to me. I'm planning on using 15cm AAC blocks outside, with 7.5cm for most interior walls, and a colorbond roof .....subject to pricing and availability in Ubon. We will try and keep it fairly Thai style ....use the grid layout that builders know, no fancy Jacuzzis or swimming pools. But with lots of power points, upgraded lighting etc ...
We'll see how it goes !
Mike
mikenot

Re: Hi there !

Postby mikenot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 pm

let's see if this works :)
The sister has been busy slashing and burning :
1498124133228[1].jpg
After the SIL was busy with the slasher and lighter !

1498124148076.jpg

But before then :
IMG_4805-Pano.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg
The electricity supply might need a bit of looking at !

IMG_4822.jpg
looking from the bottom of the "new" land
mikenot

Postby GeneBy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Nice pics Mike, any updates?
GeneBy

Postby mikenot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:26 pm

GeneBy wrote:Nice pics Mike, any updates?

Nothing on (or in) the ground, still fine tuning ideas in Sketchup, as per my thread in the design and planning section.
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5469
Nothing much will be happening for another year or so, when we plan to move to Ubon. I'm not building anything unless I can be there everyday.
mikenot

Return to Introduce Yourself