Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:52 am

Alan wrote:They are working on installing the metal plates at the top of the wall columns.

I assume they are going to fill the voids with concrete.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Alan

Looks good, got a similar detail for my Garage Roof. If you are interested you can see mine on Page 53-54-55 of my Build

For your information, my steel prices of the Steel Box sections, were
6 inch x 2 inch (150m x 50mm x 2.3mm) TB 900 per 6 meter length
4 inch x 2 inch (100m x 50mm x 2.3mm) TB 620 per 6 meter length
1 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch (38m x 38mm x 1.8mm) TB 245 per 6 meter length

Gusset Plates (Made to any size), were
150mm x 190mm x 6mm TB 45 each
150mm x 200mm x 6mm TB 50 each
250mm x 300mm x 6mm TB 105 each

250mm x 250mm x 6mm with diagonal cuts and notching TB 125 each

pipoz
Attachments
West Garage Roof Steel - Main Hip Steel to Base Plate Connection  %282A%29.jpg
West Garage Roof Steel - Main Hip Steel to Base Plate Connection
pipoz

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:56 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi Alan

Looks good, got a similar detail for my Garage Roof. If you are interested you can see mine on Page 53-54-55 of my Build

pipoz

Pip, I looked at "Happy House" build but couldn't find the same detail. you used a truss system and it's early in the posts.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:04 pm

pipoz wrote:Hi Alan Looks good, got a similar detail for my Garage Roof. If you are interested you can see mine on Page 53-54-55 of my Build pipoz

Pip, did the use a birdsmouth seat cut into the Hip?
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:I assume they are going to fill the voids with concrete.

STW, yes they will top off all of the columns when finished.
Alan
Alan

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Alan wrote:
pipoz wrote:Hi Alan

pipoz

Pip, I looked at "Happy House" build but couldn't find the same detail. you used a truss system and it's early in the posts.

Hi Alan,

I was actually just referring to the base plate to top of column connection, although I welded the base plate to the Colum Reo.

Used a back to back 150mm x 50mm steel box section sitting on top of my stub columns as in Pages 53 & 54, as a steel ring beam.

I give the guy a Truss drawing, but he actually built the steel roof frame different, as any Thai would do. Instead of a truss he doubled up the 100mm x 50mm Rafters back to back. I end up with that shown on Page 55-56.

Re "Did I use birdsmouth seat cut". NO, just sat the rafters on the top of the steel ring beam, then used 8mm thick steel plates as cleat (welded) to connect the Rafter to the steel Ring Beam. A lot of welding but she seems pretty solid. I doubt she will come down :roll:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:55 am

pipoz wrote:I give the guy a Truss drawing, but he actually built the steel roof frame different, as any Thai would do. Instead of a truss he doubled up the 100mm x 50mm Rafters back to back. I end up with that shown on Page 55-56.

Re "Did I use birdsmouth seat cut". NO, just sat the rafters on the top of the steel ring beam, then used 8mm thick steel plates as cleat (welded) to connect the Rafter to the steel Ring Beam. A lot of welding but she seems pretty solid. I doubt she will come down :roll:

pipoz

Alen

Both the doubled rafters and not cutting birdsmouth are standard here.

Using a cut like that will significantly reducing the strength of the rafter while providing no extra structural integrity at that point.

Birdsmouth cuts are needed in timber structures to permit the rafter and wall plate to have a strong connection. With a steel structure welding with additional plates provides an equivalent or stronger join

You are probably familiar with timber framing practices and carrying that familiarity across to a steel frame. The last time this was done was in 1781 with the construction of a bridge, using joints designed for wood will increase the weight of steel needed by a significant amount
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:59 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
pipoz wrote:I give the guy a Truss drawing, but he actually built the steel roof frame different, as any Thai would do. Instead of a truss he doubled up the 100mm x 50mm Rafters back to back. I end up with that shown on Page 55-56.

pipoz

Alen

Both the doubled rafters and not cutting birdsmouth are standard here.

Using a cut like that will significantly reducing the strength of the rafter while providing no extra structural integrity at that point.

Birdsmouth cuts are needed in timber structures to permit the rafter and wall plate to have a strong connection. With a steel structure welding with additional plates provides an equivalent or stronger join

You are probably familiar with timber framing practices and carrying that familiarity across to a steel frame. The last time this was done was in 1781 with the construction of a bridge, using joints designed for wood will increase the weight of steel needed by a significant amount

STW
Actually, I was only wondering about the Hip rafters. I'm good with the common rafter. I believe, if not used it would raise the corners a bit. Gussets on the corners should relieve any structural compromise. What's your take on this?
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 am

Alan wrote:
STW
Actually, I was only wondering about the Hip rafters. I'm good with the common rafter. I believe, if not used it would raise the corners a bit. Gussets on the corners should relieve any structural compromise. What's your take on this?

It will rather depend on your roof structure.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4890&start=165 shows my roof which has a 2.5 meter overhang something I would not want to try with a compromised strength rafter.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Steel for the ring beams and Q-CON Block were delivered the other day. The block arrived in good condition. Only 2 blocks had any damage. I was told that they threw in 8 additional blocks per truckload to compensate for any damaged block. 16 block free.....I'll take that.

Time for a lot of welding.
Attachments
14.jpg
5.jpg
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 am

Not much to look at but ring beam is going up. 150x50x3.2 double C-Channel. Cheapest price we could find 930thb per 6m.
Attachments
3.jpg
10.jpg
Alan
Alan

Postby pipoz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Alan,

Too late for your use, but I found this when looking at SCG Solutions in Udon Thani last week

Pic 1a & 1c: Refer to Hollow Core Slab 120 c x 8 cm, 350 Baht/m2 (Note: installation and delivery are not included in this price)

Pic 2b & 2a: Refer to Hollow Core Slab 120 c x 10 cm, 374 Baht/m2. (Note: installation and delivery are not included in this price)

Pipoz
Attachments
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 1a).JPG
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 1a)
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 1c).JPG
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 1c)
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 2a).JPG
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 2a)
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 2b).JPG
SCG Solutions on Friday 08 September 2017 (Pic 2b)
pipoz

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Spent a month in Thailand. We needed to do some shopping and make some decisions on roof tile, floor tile, paint colors and bathroom/kitchen appliances. We also processed the documents to get our house papers/book. Roof steel is coming along nicely. Steel prices continue to rise; it went up while we were there. Our steel purchasing is almost finished so I think we are past any further increases. The exterior walls are almost finished and they are starting on the interior walls.
Attachments
26.jpg
Block for interior walls
24.jpg
23.jpg
22.jpg
21.jpg
1.jpg
Lots of steel
Alan
Alan

Postby pipoz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:53 pm

That's a sizable footprint.

Looks like a football field :D

Good progress for a month. Wish I could find the time to spend a whole month in Thailand :roll:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:09 am

More progress on the roof. Shingle purlins going up. Walls almost complete except for a couple of small closets. Hired my electric contractor the other day.
Attachments
2.jpg
5.jpg
Alan
Alan

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story