a simple self build pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

a simple self build pool

Postby domino » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:25 pm

as we are building a new home , we also made a small swimming pool,skimmer system (6x4M, 1.20m-1.40m deep)with the good knowledge (i think) how to do
so , first the dig out with the machine
01 (Copy).jpg

and clearing by hand by the worker ( i only worked with 1 worker , but a good one , rare for los)
03 (Copy).jpg

now some people start to put some thin concrete base floor so in case of rain you are not in the mud , but we did skip this...
next was the outside wall in blocks ...simply based on the floor
04 (Copy).jpg

we did have to pour some thin concrete on the floor due to the start of the rain sometimes :(
next was the double layer of 12mm re-bar , maze 20cm ,
05 (Copy).jpg

07 (Copy).jpg

and the installment of the water stop to prevent leakage
08 (Copy).jpg

pouring the concrete floor with concrete 240 seteng , mixed with waterproofing
09 (Copy).jpg

to be continued in next post as i can only upload 7 attachments here... :wink:
domino

Re: a simple self build pool

Postby domino » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:07 pm

so the floor has been poured
10 (Copy).jpg

time to put the (rented) frame work and skimmer
12 (Copy).jpg

also mounted the 3 water outlets and the vacuum inlet with anti leakage pieces
26 (Copy).jpg

27 (Copy).jpg

next , pouring the walls and removing the framework after a few days, result
14 (Copy).jpg

so no main drain ( easy to put a drainage pump inside in case of emptying ) , also no lights/bugs in the pool , lights around on the wall if needed,
or any other useless connections
rendering of the wall is done with normal render mixture mixed with waterproofing , no special product needed
so at this stage you have a rough pool which has costed me 60.899 baht for the materials , and 25.000 baht work ..total 85.899 baht ...
from this moment on you can make it as expensive as you want , swimming pool tiles start at 300 baht a m2 ....? baht/m2
i do advice to use swimming pool designed tiles as they are more resistant against all chemicals and problems concerned with a pool ...
in our case we did have much choice as due to some personal circumstances we did start late with the pool and were in need of the tiles quickly so the job would be done before the rain season starts , what would be beginning june to my prognosis
very difficult to find a shop whom could deliver the tiles quickly . we did find a supplier for the tiles my wife wanted , normally i could buy them @ 720 baht/box , but this time it was 900 baht a box , beware the swim pool tiles from 10x10cm are not packed by 1 m2 , but only 90 pieces in a box...
delivery in 3 days so we could start tiling,
DSC00667 (Copy).jpg

to be continued again...
domino

Postby domino » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:42 pm

as you can see , we used red crocodile cement , 190 baht /bag , but you can also use as we did with our present swim davco from 118 baht ,
grouting of the pool with the special weber for swimming pools (not the epoxy) @ 200 baht/bag ..result
DSC00673 (Copy).jpg

DSC00674 (Copy).jpg

so after 4 day's fill up with city water (26.600L) what will be about 500 baht ...
threw in some 90% chlorine granulate , until the pump and filter are installed
using a chlorine based pool with floating chlorinator ( tablets 90%) , as i do not want to use the automated chlorinators whom are expensive and do not last long , also are very sensitive an blow out easy with electrical problems (over surge) , 1kg chlorine lasts about 6-8 weeks , 130 baht/kilo
we did some quick tiling in the part of the filter home so we could install pump and filter ...also simple installment , not making any thing more complicated as it should be ...haywarth super pump 1 hp , 19.000 baht , emaux v650 sandfilter , 12.000 baht , 8 bags of zelbrite filter media , 800 baht/bag20kg...to give some idea of the prices..bought all other needed things like vacuum pole/head/hose, skimmer net ,ph testing kit, 2 double union valves , floating chlorinator and that's it nothing else needed..
DSC00689 (Copy).jpg

DSC00690 (Copy).jpg

so complete costs including the 50cm foot pad and pump filter accessories
85.899 + 47.474 (pump+ filter + accessories)+ 71.655 (tiles, materials, foot pad , work) = 205.028 baht til now
the 50cm foot pad will be done in sandstone with epoxy finish and will not cost more than 10.000 baht ...
not bad for a decently build pool i think ... :wink:
domino

Postby Sunpax » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi ,

Yes really nice...one question ! you didn't test the leakage of concret before to put tiles on ?
Sunpax

Postby domino » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:35 pm

hi sunpax , if you pour 20cm of concrete walls the correct way with waterproofed concrete, and the water stop sealing , you do not need to test anything , this is a falang complicated way of thinking ,this is our 3th swim , our first one is now 14 years old and still ok ,but i am curious , how do you test this and how much does such a test cost ? , many things are simple to do , if you yourself can keep it simple and don't listen to all (commercial)rubbish sometimes told , many people over complicate and make everything unnecessary more expensive ...not only with a swim build but also fe with a home build , at least my view of things ,i am sure this swim will be ok too :wink:
domino

Postby Breizh29 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Domino,

Congratulations for the realization of your project.

I was a bit surprised when reading the prices indicated for your pool but thinking a little I think it is possible. :wink:
One small question: do you know the price of Weber grouting epoxy?
Breizh29

Postby domino » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:03 pm

hi breihz, i did not know the price of the epoxy grouting but looked it up , it would be around 2.500 baht /5kg which covers 8M2
http://www.majestic-home.com/All-Produc ... B8%99.html
so compared to the other weber i used https://www.weberthai.com/en/tile-grout ... or-hr.html the epoxy is a lot more expensive , i used 27 bags of the weber hr,5.400 baht and would need around 30kg of the epoxy grouting what would be 15.000.. hope this helps :wink:
btw I was a bit surprised when reading the prices indicated for your pool but thinking a little I think it is possible. , i can give detailed prices if needed...
domino

Postby Breizh29 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 pm

domino wrote: i can give detailed prices if needed...
Thank you very much, I want (by mp if you prefer).
I will be able to compare and eventually discuss for what I have to finish if I see a big difference in prices.
Breizh29

Postby domino » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:04 pm

any one need more info about my swim build prices , feel free to ask , does not have to be by pm , it is info to every one :wink:
domino

Postby Klondyke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Hallo Domino,
it is really simple, easy made and it looks good. And you have prepared a good account of the procedure.

For the ones who will be encouraged by your example, I would add that - from my experience - there are still few points where the cost can be reduced.
When you had made the walls already by blocks: if you doubled the blocks, with some 3 - 5 cm distance filled by concrete (a cheap one with addition of water proof solution), then you could omit all the frame work, the steel structure and the additional concrete pouring. I did it so for 12x3x1.4m pool with overflow, the cost do not go much over 150,000, described in viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4736

Some steel wires d. 3mm (1 hun) are embedded horizontally under the layers of the blocks, so it does not need any vertical (strong) bars. And it survived without any problem 2 earthquakes when the water run over the edge. I have few more tanks (for my troubled source water system) 1m high, made by single blocks or bricks reinforced by steel wire, all they last now over 12 years.

For another saving I would recommend just any quality of the ceramic tiles, they are available around 160 B/m2. Why to think about chemical resistance? If your body withstand the chemie, why not the ceramics?

BTW, why the chemie should be in the pool ? The chlorine is not very good for human body, it should be used just very sparsely - unless you do not invite the whole village with their dogs. And for the algae fighting is something else more effective (and cheaper), algycids, or just simple copper sulphate, this does not affect the materials.

However, if you will maintain the pH quite low - as the shops advise for the good chlorine function - and for their good business (for water clarity the pH value makes no difference) the pool water slightly acidic will affect the grouting of the tiles (not really the tiles). To reduce that grouting (where always the algae grow and all the dirt collects), I had used at my second pool large tiles 40x40cm instead of 20x20. And should I build one pool more I will use even larger tiles 60x60 or whatever is available. Then, no grouting, the large tiles are granite-like, neatly assembled tightly together, no visible gap. They surely are not cheap, however, saving the workmanship for the slow grouting, what is mostly the last job of the workers, they are expecting their money, so it is usually not very well made.
Klondyke

Return to swimming pool