Chlorine vs Salt Pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Chlorine vs Salt Pool

Postby brianks » Fri May 13, 2016 12:05 pm

[/attachment]My 4 x 14m salt pool is now 2 1/2 years old now and I have gone through a big learning curve (hell) for 6 months but appear to have everything under control as far as maintaining it properly. The one thing I do not like about my salt pool is having to deal with the HCL to bring down the Ph periodically. Transferring the HCL to smaller containers and adding it to the pool is an extremely dangerous process which requires the use of a big fan to ventilate the area to make sure you don't get overwhelmed by the fumes. Other than that, my chlorinator works well and with the PoolRx have had no problems keeping the chlorine levels acceptable even in this now 34 degree water temperature environment.

My neighbor has a new pool and he switched over from a salt to a straight chlorine pool because he did not like the salt residue on the decking around the pool. Since he has switched to a Chlorine pool there is no need to worry about the Ph as I monitor the pool for him and check the chemicals weekly. His blue tiles make his water temperature 1-1.5 degrees warmer than my white Bottom Pebble Tec pool. Keeping chlorine levels right and high enough requires two chlorine floaters and constant monitoring of the tablets. Overall his pool is much easier to maintain than my Salt pool (cost of chemicals not considered).

Because of my severe dislike and dangerous HCL I have been considering switching to a chlorine pool when my 7 bags of salt are used up probably after the next rainy season.

Was curious if any of you had any constructive comments on my situation.
Attachments
Pool Path completed 001.jpg
brianks

Re: Chlorine vs Salt Pool

Postby pipoz » Fri May 13, 2016 12:33 pm

brianks wrote:[/attachment]My 4 x 14m salt pool is now 2 1/2 years old now and I have gone through a big learning curve (hell) for 6 months but appear to have everything under control as far as maintaining it properly. The one thing I do not like about my salt pool is having to deal with the HCL to bring down the Ph periodically. Transferring the HCL to smaller containers and adding it to the pool is an extremely dangerous process which requires the use of a big fan to ventilate the area to make sure you don't get overwhelmed by the fumes. Other than that, my chlorinator works well and with the PoolRx have had no problems keeping the chlorine levels acceptable even in this now 34 degree water temperature environment.

My neighbor has a new pool and he switched over from a salt to a straight chlorine pool because he did not like the salt residue on the decking around the pool. Since he has switched to a Chlorine pool there is no need to worry about the Ph as I monitor the pool for him and check the chemicals weekly. His blue tiles make his water temperature 1-1.5 degrees warmer than my white Bottom Pebble Tec pool. Keeping chlorine levels right and high enough requires two chlorine floaters and constant monitoring of the tablets. Overall his pool is much easier to maintain than my Salt pool (cost of chemicals not considered). Because of my severe dislike and dangerous HCL I have been considering switching to a chlorine pool when my 7 bags of salt are used up probably after the next rainy season.

Was curious if any of you had any constructive comments on my situation.

Thanks very useful for someone about to embark on a pool

Keep us posted if you make the switch

pipoz
pipoz

Postby oil » Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 am

i recommed Klondykes posts about water chemistry they havea lot of insight no pool shop will ever tell you.

Also bear in mind... that a Salt Pool is in fact a Salt Water Chlorinated Pool, so the Chlorine gets produced from Salt but in the end you have all the disadvantages or a Chlorine pool regarding health concerns.

I think its well worth to look into to other sanitazion options like Bionizer (Copper) and Ozone.. althoug those pricey machines are designed that you also need to spend lots on in replacement products to keep it running, therefore the Klondyke is actually better imho.
oil

Postby Klondyke » Thu May 25, 2017 10:45 am

oil wrote:i recommed Klondykes posts about water chemistry they havea lot of insight no pool shop will ever tell you.

Dear Oil, many thanks for your recommendation. Will give aside some commission for you. :D

As of the HCL handling, better than to pour it pure directly into the pool: prepare a larger bucket full of water and pour carefully the HCL in that - over a small 2L bowl with handle (as used here for Abnaahm) to see how much you are giving. And that should be made in an open air. I suppose you have got a 30l gallon of dark blue or black pastics, bought at a chemical shop. Then, this larger bucket (10 - 15 l) with solution some 1 : 10, can be distributed around the pool, more easily than the pure HCL.
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Thu May 25, 2017 11:44 am

My 2 cents of the recommended water chemistry experience:
After studying many sources in the Internet, where the pool forums are mostly owned by the pool shops, I have found that their advices of the strong chlorination are very useful - for the shop owners. And after their valuable advices the most word count in their forums is; Help, green water, desperation. Pity the people who invested big money for the few sunny days in Europe...

The biggest problem with the water (especially in the hot countries) is green water by algaes. To avoid their growth you need (as per shop owners' advice) very strong chlorination that has to be kept on its strong level almost daily as it evaporate very fast. And to make the chlorine good effective you have to maintain the pH - almost daily. Both chlorine and the pH (mostly PH Minus) are the best selling articles. And the big daily headache for the pool keeper and his money wallet.

Moreover, the strong chorinated water is not very healthy for the swimming population, especially small kids. That can be also found on Internet with many studies by medicine experts who - unlike the shop owners - do not sell anything. :?

So, for fighting the algaes are more suitable (and made for that purpose) other means of many fashie names - algicids - most of them based on copper sulphate. So, you can handle the water directly by the CS that has the disadvantage (for the pool shops) - is very cheap. :evil: I am buying a 1 kg sack at a local chemical shop for 150 Baht, distributing into the pool every week (sometimes forget) a plastic ladle of it (some 100 g) quickly dissolved.

The arguments of pool shops against CS are not true, even the drinking water allows 2 ppm (2 mg on 1 l) of Cu, whilst CS containts only 20 - 25 % of Cu. Strongly used in many food, fruit industries, mainly wineyards.

Then, to be sure about the bacteria - the pool shops make such a big scare of - I dissolve a spoon of chlorine directly in pool twice in week (sometimes forget). That's enough, much better protection against any germs than you get on your door knob and/or outside at the Big C, market, school, train, etc.

For this low chlorination level I do not need to worry about the pH. And the pH does not have any influence on the water clarity. Nor on your health, the drinking water standars allow from 6.5 - 9.5. Perhaps for swimming not so good? :lol: The sea water is some 8.3, SPAs (the ones for health) even more.

So, with this my minimum care (and a simple pump/filter equipment) I get clean and clear water for my daily 1 km swim throughout the year. Even when I am getting my water from a strongly ironized source (entry in the next issue of Guiness Book of records :roll: ).
Picture as of today after strong rains that bring daily a lot of green dust from the spring blooming vegetation around.

How to handle my troubled input water - something about it in viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4611
Klondyke

Re: Manual Chlorine vs Salt Chlorination

Postby jazzman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 am

Just a reminder for anyone who has been confused over the title of this thread:
A 'salt' pool generally uses a salt water chlorinator, a system that converts salt into chlorine by electrolysis.
Therefore the correct discussion would be:
Manual chlorination vs Salt water chlorination
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool