My infinity pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: My infinity pool

Postby Breizh29 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Rdteth,

No update.
I fired my builder after finding that he didn't know how to finish the spa, for filtration and pumps he was going to put me inadequate equipment. I have since learned that he lied to us on several points.

Since then, I have been looking for a new builder to finish the job. After selecting 2 others and received their quote, I will definitely choose an English builder who is located in Surin (Isan). He is a bit more expensive than the other (a Thai) but provided better material. And another important point in my eyes, I can discuss with him without going through my wife !!!
Problem: He is not available until mid-November. We will wait and let the rainy season pass!
Another swimming pool begun at the beginning of the year and which will be finished at the end of this one.

The 2 builders told me that the pool seemed well built, which is good news for me. The problems are well at the spa with points to take back regarding the piping for the jets.

Breizh29
Breizh29

Postby Klondyke » Mon May 15, 2017 11:59 am

Breizh29 wrote:Hi Rdteth,
Problem: He is not available until mid-November. We will wait and let the rainy season pass!
Breizh29

Why don't you finished the construction by any reliable (villlage builder)? The equipment (pipes, filter, pump) buying by yourself. And the installation to finish by a good (village) plumber, it is not a big deal. I can advise with some questions. Then you will save a lot of money and have it at as per your idea, not as per the builder's.
Klondyke

Postby Rdteth » Mon May 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi Breizh,
Sorry to hear about this delay.
Your build always looked ok, in a thai building way.
Please try to tell us (me in particular) what the exact nature of the errors in piping in your spa are. I followed your thread carefully and are about to make a very similar copy of the air pipes in your spa. So any comment can be very useful. The difference with your pipes is that I let the airpipe coming from the pumproom go above waterlevel first ( so that it won't fill up with water when I switch off the airpump) and then to the outlets in the wall and floor. I use 2 valves ( they are located in the above waterlevel top of the spa wall, so I can control them from inside the spa) to control where the air goes, so I can choose to have all air go to the wall or to the floor. Also both are connected with the outside air for the venturi's.

About filter and pump, I wouldn't worry a thing if I was you. The're just outside pool things and you can get what you want. When my time comes to think about pumps I will play around until I know what is good for my pool, because in my opinion there are no 2 pools alike and you can only find what you want by experimenting and above all measuring.

If you have made your mind up about your new poolbuilder, I can only wish you good luck. But believe me, the english guy won't get his hands dirty and in the end you ( and your wife) and the THAI workers define the quality you get.
I agree with Klondyke that local "changs" can finish your pool. The real "poolconstruction" in your pool is done.

Cheers
Rene
Rdteth

Postby Breizh29 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Klondyke wrote:
Breizh29 wrote:Hi Rdteth,
Breizh29

Why don't you finished the construction by any reliable (villlage builder)? The equipment (pipes, filter, pump) buying by yourself. And the installation to finish by a good (village) plumber, it is not a big deal. I can advise with some questions. Then you will save a lot of money and have it at as per your idea, not as per the builder's.

Hi Klondyke,

Thank you for offering me your help by answering some of the questions I can ask myself. I appreciate! :wink:
I am not able to find a reliable village team available. For example, a team capable of making me a coherent overflow and not like the one I can see here for some pools !!! :oops:

My brother-in-law and his team will already complete as soon as possible the technical room located above the buffer tank and the "shower-toilet" room above the holding tank.
Breizh29

Postby Breizh29 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Rene,

Inlet piping from the technical room to the spa for the massage jets will go from 1" to 2". This means that the pipe that goes through the spa wall needs to be removed and replaced with a larger one. I hope this will not lead to a spa leak later. :oops: The builder assured me that no ...
Add a specific water supply pipe to the inlet nozzle located in the spa floor. Possible without any special problem because the water inlet pipe comes out of the pool floor before entering the spa floor.
Change the airpipe between the pump house and the spa from 1 "to 2".
The first builder had the idea of ​​feeding only the air nozzles from the bottom of the spa by the blower. The new contractor tells me that you also have to feed the massage nozzles with the blower.
He didn't tell me about valves located above the water level in the spa wall to choose the destination of the air. (I'll talk to him about that.)

On the top of the wall of the spa it proposed to put a pneumatic switch for switching the massage functions on and off.

He also told me that he never saw a retention tank for the filter backwash water even with salt water. Everyone puts water directly in nature (in this case the rice fields! :( )
Breizh29

Postby rdteth666 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello Breizh,

It is not all clear to me.
You want to increase the pipediameter from 1 to 2". Ok makes sense. These spa jet nozzles have a capacity of about 20 liter/minute. Adds to 1.2m3 per hour per nozzle. If you have 6 (I have 6) you come to 7.2m3 hour.
Can do with 1" I guess but 2" better.
Add a specific water supply pipe to the inlet nozzle located in the spa floor.

I don't understand this one. You mean to get water in the spa? Because the spa is higher than the pool?

About air. A 2" pipe sounds a lot to me. I only use 3/4". Can I expect it won't work?

To use your airpump in the jetnozzles is not a must have, it is an option you can build in. These nozzles supposed to work fine with only outside air ( venturi effect).

What do you mean with " massage function"? Just the water and air coming out the jetnozzles? If so how you want switch them off? You have to switch off your spapump, right. If you close the waterflow like with a valve, wouldn't you pump keep building up pressure until.....?

The 2 valves I have planned for airflow direction is just some idea of me. If not implemented the possibility now, it can't (easily) be put in later. And if it doesn't turn out to do as planned, just don't use it, or fill it up with concrete.

And what do you do when your retentiontank is filled up? The chlorine only leaves the water when in contact with air above. Not in a closed tank. The amount of salt is so low it won't harm plants. Hydroponic farming waste water contains lotsvof salts too.

Last but not least.
I changed my email adress and then could not get my account reactivated. Send email to dozer, no response at all. Same like some 6 months ago. Don't know who behind this forum. Now made new account to be able to sent this reply, though i will not continue my own thread if i cannot get my old account reactivated.

Cheers
Rene
rdteth666

Postby Breizh29 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:17 pm

rdteth666 wrote:Add a specific water supply pipe to the inlet nozzle located in the spa floor.
I don't understand this one. You mean to get water in the spa? Because the spa is higher than the pool?
Yes. the spa is higher than the spool and we think it is better to bring the water from the pump house into the spa through a specific pipe.
rdteth666 wrote:About air. A 2" pipe sounds a lot to me. I only use 3/4". Can I expect it won't work?
I think the new manufacturer told me this because it will be necessary to feed the 16 air nozzles located at the bottom of the spa and the 6 massage jets in the wall.
rdteth666 wrote:To use your airpump in the jetnozzles is not a must have, it is an option you can build in. These nozzles supposed to work fine with only outside air ( venturi effect).

What do you mean with " massage function"? Just the water and air coming out the jetnozzles? If so how you want switch them off? You have to switch off your spapump, right. If you close the waterflow like with a valve, wouldn't you pump keep building up pressure until.....?
I think that the switch located at the top of the wall will serve to turn on or off the blower without having to move in the technical room.
But I will review the manufacturer by the end of the month and I will be re-explained in detail the operation.
rdteth666 wrote:And what do you do when your retentiontank is filled up? The chlorine only leaves the water when in contact with air above. Not in a closed tank. The amount of salt is so low it won't harm plants. Hydroponic farming waste water contains lotsvof salts too.
I was going to empty it with a truck. But the builder told me like you. I will see...

Regards
Breizh29
Breizh29

Postby Breizh29 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Breizh29 wrote:
rdteth666 wrote:Add a specific water supply pipe to the inlet nozzle located in the spa floor.
Yes. the spa is higher than the spool and we think it is better to bring the water from the pump house into the spa through a specific pipe.
rdteth666 wrote:About air. A 2" pipe sounds a lot to me. I only use 3/4". Can I expect it won't work?
I think the new builder told me this because it will be necessary to feed the 16 air nozzles located at the bottom of the spa and the 6 massage jets in the wall.
rdteth666 wrote:To use your airpump in the jetnozzles is not a must have, it is an option you can build in. These nozzles supposed to work fine with only outside air ( venturi effect).

I think that the switch located at the top of the wall will serve to turn on or off the blower without having to move in the technical room.
But I will review the builder by the end of the month and I will be re-explained in detail the operation.
rdteth666 wrote:And what do you do when your retentiontank is filled up? The chlorine only leaves the water when in contact with air above. Not in a closed tank. The amount of salt is so low it won't harm plants. Hydroponic farming waste water contains lotsvof salts too.
I was going to empty it with a truck. But the builder told me like you. I will see...

Regards
Breizh29
Breizh29

Postby oil » Tue May 23, 2017 2:03 pm

@Breizh29
i am curious about the piping... can you explain why there are so many bottom inlets...
for me it looks like that every meter or even less there is a bottom sucker... but the last sucktion pipe is seperate from the others...
So ... i kinda looks like only the last one is the suction and the others are additonal inlets...
but its your pool i would be happy to understand the piping there a bit better.

also the Pilar Placement into the Ground seems rocksolid... can you share some pricing what such doing might cost per pillar?
I am also wondering... if you do this Pilar... thingie... i guess the Pool should be pretty far aways from the House, i could imagine if i would penetrate the soil like that we might get cracks in the house?

I also couldnt find any measurements in the whole threads, like Length, widths, deep in swallow area, deep in deep area?
you didnt post or i havent found after going 2 times over the whole thread?
oil

Postby Breizh29 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:41 pm

oil wrote:@Breizh29
i am curious about the piping... can you explain why there are so many bottom inlets...
for me it looks like that every meter or even less there is a bottom sucker... but the last sucktion pipe is seperate from the others...
So ... i kinda looks like only the last one is the suction and the others are additonal inlets...
but its your pool i would be happy to understand the piping there a bit better.

also the Pilar Placement into the Ground seems rocksolid... can you share some pricing what such doing might cost per pillar?
I am also wondering... if you do this Pilar... thingie... i guess the Pool should be pretty far aways from the House, i could imagine if i would penetrate the soil like that we might get cracks in the house?

I also couldnt find any measurements in the whole threads, like Length, widths, deep in swallow area, deep in deep area?
you didnt post or i havent found after going 2 times over the whole thread?

Hi oil,

Some answers to your questions:
16 air nozzles in the spa floor are powered by a blower located in the technical room and air is supplied by a pipe that branches off to the spa floor.
A filtered water outlet nozzle in the spa floor will be fed by a specific pipe. The spa is higher than the pool and the water overflows into the pool.
The 6 water jets with venturi effect will be powered by a dedicated pump and a specific pipe.

16 pillars 8 meters long, 2000 baht for a pillar. And 25,000 baht to push the pillars. I only paid 50% of this price, the builder took half of it.

I build the pool on an embanked rice field and the water table is quite high. The 3 builders I contacted had told me about this solution. Given the nature of the ground, the vibrations were limited and I have noticed no cracks for now. The pool is about 8 meters from the house.

The pool is 9m long, 5m wide in its widest width and 4,5m in the middle.
The depth is 1.20m in the shallowest part, 1.60m in the deepest and a sloping central part. The spa is 3m in outside diameter.
The total water volume is about 60m³.
Breizh29

Postby Rdteth » Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello Breizh,

A few posts ago you mentioned the gutter as an item of concern in how to make and how precise it must be.
Once I had that issue too.
Not anymore. The gutter is of no real importance. It is just something you want to keep your water in the pool and therefore it must be seized so that it can always do that. ( liters per time). A halfway in length cut pvc pipe wil do great and so easy to build up. OK you want to have it look nicely. But tecnically it is a very easy part.
I already wished ( and will advice anyone) to not do it like me. Remember all the effort I put into having the gutter with the walls in one concrete pour. DON'T, do it easy like you Breizh, do it after the walls.
I hammer on this one because I have one corner not exactly 90°. And that still gives me headaches because it is very visible and I fear I have to cut slices out the gutterwalls and add concrete on the opposite sites to keep the gutter straight( looking). In that respect I looked at olavhome' s thread. He has very little about his pool but one picture says more than a 1000 words. The pic with the pool and gutter finished. An exellent example KISS. Keep it simple. I very well might go for such a gutter. The opening is rather small. His idea about no overflowtank probably won' t work. Olavhome pls share how your gutter is working?

The only real issue about overflow is the hight. If your wall is sloped the highest side determines where water will start overflowing. I think you can determine the level with the thaiway waterhose, but you have to work carefully and put the jab siam wires very solid. :)

Back to where I started.
Breizh, don' t worry to much about the gutter. Your brother in law is most likely (I have to be somewhat carefull cause I don't know the guy. But I do know I would never ever let my brother in law build anything for me again) more than capable to do that part.
And keep an eye on ( all) the jab siams.

Last need to say my account functions again. Apologies if anybody got seriously hurt with my previous remark. It was all my fault this time. Check your spamfolder. sorry.

I ' m off for 6 weeks now, but I guess even in europe they are connected to the internet by now.

Cheers
Rene.
Rdteth

Postby Klondyke » Thu May 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Rdteth wrote:Hello Breizh,
The gutter is of no real importance. It is just something you want to keep your water in the pool and therefore it must be seized so that it can always do that. ( liters per

What do you mean "to keep your water in pool"? The gutter - OverFlow channel? - is to lead the water that flow over the edge away to the OF tank. I did it (after the walls were finished) by bricks/blocks and good concrete, some 15 cm wide, with rounded bottom, with a good slope. It is an open channel that serves me also to keep there the flexible sucking hose for vacuuming, so easy for the next fast use - as always filled with water - no problem with the air bubbles that the sucking pump does not like.

The only real issue about overflow is the hight. If your wall is sloped the highest side determines where water will start overflowing.

The walls (the ones with OF) are on the same height, they should not be sloped, they all should be on the same water level. And if the OF is not just an edge but a wider surface (I have 40 cm tile) over which the water flow out into the gutter (and is good for walking and sitting there), that OF surface (tile) should be in a small slope outwards. It will smooth the coming waves, partly returns the water back to pool, partly the water goes over into the gutter. So, no waves into the nose when swimming, unlike the pools without OF.

That how it works in my pool, keeping the water surface clean - even if I have just one OF wall. And keeping the gutter clean since well sloped and overlooked.
Klondyke

Postby Rdteth » Thu May 25, 2017 1:12 pm

If the water is going into the overflowtank then it is still in your pool since the tank is part of the pool, compared to water being wasted.
We both talk about the same slope. Not in the length of the wall ofcourse. Then it would be a skimmer I guess.
Rdteth

Postby Klondyke » Thu May 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Rdteth wrote:If the water is going into the overflowtank then it is still in your pool since the tank is part of the pool, compared to water being wasted.
We both talk about the same slope. Not in the length of the wall ofcourse. Then it would be a skimmer I guess.

Perhaps, I do not quite understand. Surely not thinking about any skimmer.
As of a wasted water, perhaps you think what would flow over the gutter (or its cover) away when a larger wave occurs. Yes, that's can be an issue. Not in my case where I have the channel (gutter) with sufficient walls on both sides. And risen above the walkway in order to avoid an inlet of rain water and access of insects from the walkway.

And the sloped OF surface will dump (defuse) the wave, it never goes over to the walkway (unless my elephant goes for Abnaahm :D )

Of course, my OF channel solution is not very suitable for fashionable pool pictures. It does not bother me, I rather look for the correct function (with small investment) and my convenience at maintenance.

Klondyke

Postby Breizh29 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Rdteth wrote:Hello Breizh,

Not anymore. The gutter is of no real importance. It is just something you want to keep your water in the pool and therefore it must be seized so that it can always do that. ( liters per time). A halfway in length cut pvc pipe wil do great and so easy to build up. OK you want to have it look nicely. But tecnically it is a very easy part.
I already wished ( and will advice anyone) to not do it like me. Remember all the effort I put into having the gutter with the walls in one concrete pour. DON'T, do it easy like you Breizh, do it after the walls.

Hi Rdteth,

I have no choice and the gutter will be made after the walls. But on a freeform pool it's a bit more delicate. And as the gutter is a place suitable for leaks ...

But I agree that the flatness of the top of the wall between the basin and the gutter is the most important, that is what conditions the overflow. How many times do we see swimming pools that do not overflow the entire wall?

And of course have a good trip :wink:

Breizh29
Breizh29

PreviousNext

Return to swimming pool