Best AC for Dehumidifieng?

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Best AC for Dehumidifieng?

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 23, 2017 6:39 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:
kmanonmaui wrote:I couldn't find any study, data or fact sheet on with regards to their moisture resistance

Slight correction. I did just find this site (http://www.poratthima.com/sites/default ... lish_1.pdf) which states:
"Furthermore, it eliminates the mold problem occurring from humidity because it absorbs water more slowly than some other materials do."

And, if further states, as you correctly indicated, "Q-CON” is an excellent heat and acoustic insulator, not only reducing heat transfer from out site to inside building 4-8 times better than clay brick does but also not retaining heat inside itself. Thus you could save electric bills regarding air conditioning system up to 30% and the capacity of air conditioning systems could be reduced.

This YouTube video is very interesting on the water absorbing quality of AAC And brick
Sometimewoodworker

Postby oil » Tue May 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Humidity in Sleeping Room goes down really quick to 60% when it runs longer it goes down to 45%
however just by the feel of it 60% seems good for me, over the day when the AC is off and only the the door to the sleeping room is closed
i have 29 Degrees in the Living Room / Office with a 85% Humidy and when i go to the Sleeping room its the same Temperature just with 60% Humidity but its feels so great being being in the Sleeping Room,
i meant even thou the temperature is the same, its a real relief to be in a 60% humidity area.
oil

Postby oil » Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm

the video is realy intresting... it seems that the AAC blocks soak much less water then the other one...
which is the opposite of what i have been told, cause in our Bathrooms they put the Red Brick ... cause i was told the Q-Cons are not suitable for Wet rooms cause they would soak in water like crazy
oil

Postby Klondyke » Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi Oil,
what did you mean by "White Metalsheet with this funny Insulation layer below"?
Perhaps you did mean the foam layer, quite a thin one? Yes, it looks funny - in comparison with other available (rather thick) insulations. However, I have touched such roofing few times when exposed to the direct sunshine at midday and I was surprised that I did not feel any heat.

So, I have changed my initial "look down" on this tiny insulation, it works. However, it has to be noted that the metal sheets (I think you do not have it "white" but rather the usual silver color tone) do not absorb much heat even without any insulation, they reflect the sun radiation back to its origin, unlike all the ceramic roofings that are so kind :? to forward the heat downwards in form of infra-red radiation.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 pm

oil wrote:Humidity in Sleeping Room goes down really quick to 60% when it runs longer it goes down to 45%
however just by the feel of it 60% seems good for me, over the day when the AC is off and only the the door to the sleeping room is closed
i have 29 Degrees in the Living Room / Office with a 85% Humidy and when i go to the Sleeping room its the same Temperature just with 60% Humidity but its feels so great being being in the Sleeping Room,
i meant even thou the temperature is the same, its a real relief to be in a 60% humidity area.

Humm 40 to 70 % is the comfortable range here it gets down as low as 10% and that is nasty we have to have a humidifier running for most of the time.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Klondyke wrote:Hi Oil,
what did you mean by "White Metalsheet with this funny Insulation layer below"?
Perhaps you did mean the foam layer, quite a thin one? Yes, it looks funny - in comparison with other available (rather thick) insulations. However, I have touched such roofing few times when exposed to the direct sunshine at midday and I was surprised that I did not feel any heat.

So, I have changed my initial "look down" on this tiny insulation, it works. However, it has to be noted that the metal sheets (I think you do not have it "white" but rather the usual silver color tone) do not absorb much heat even without any insulation, they reflect the sun radiation back to its origin, unlike all the ceramic roofings that are so kind :? to forward the heat downwards in form of infra-red radiation.

White is a much better colour than silver for a roof as it's a better reflector of heat.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby oil » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 pm

i really have the white ones.... thought as well the silver things would like a mirror refect it back... but the white seems better :)
from expericments i did with some scrap metal i had lying around :D
oil

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 pm

You used red bricks in the bathroom cause some dick told you they soaked the water. Cause red bricks dont soak the water? Thats the problem when you listen to idiots who have no clue. As in all bathrooms, you need to water proof the walls and floor before tiling. How does that affect the blocks, a derrrr. :roll:

I made a lintel with Qcon blocks, very heavy but over engineered. My wife said she was worried the windows couldnt take the weight. That just about sums up my experience with thai experts.

I had the homepro guys out to rough in the aircom units. First day they come to see the house and try to up sell. "The unit is too small for the room. It will work hard and die early. No warranty." My response was " its not a thai pizza oven"

The elctrician tried to mount my double power points vertically because thats thai style. No one else in the friggin world does it that way, but what do i, a farang know. Seriously, you have to be on the ball for bullshit.

Those thin metal sheets with foam insulation underneath are crap. It looks like aluminium coated foam but is in actual fact just sprayed on aluminium look. My wife put it on her balcony 4 years ago and its just peeled off. So guys, you gets what yous pay. Anything with foam needs to be sealed from the elements if you want longevity.
Andyfteeze

Postby oil » Tue May 23, 2017 11:21 pm

ha ha, well i guess all of us had their fair share with funny recommendations for thai experts...
i am not a electrician... but we have 220V and we get 15Amps to our property... my builder wanted to put 9000 Watts Water Heater in the Bathroom and i told him we dont have the power to fire this one up...
but they didnt seem to understand what i was talking about :D
oil

Postby kmanonmaui » Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:This YouTube video is very interesting on the water absorbing quality of AAC And brick

Thanks for sharing. Yes, very interesting. Wish they would have used the same size of Q-Con sample as the other two to provide a clearer comparison, but I'm do see a marked difference. I would not go as far as to say "Qcon blocks do absorb some water. But its about 1/10th of normal bricks. You would need a week to fully saturate one where as a normal brick will spong within the hr", but their other properties make them worth the cost IMO.
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby oil » Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 am

Inspired by Sometimeswoodworker... i did a live test on our sleeping room which is 30 sqm including the attached dressing room
I started out with a 30.5 Degrees C and a Humidty of 80%
after 12 minutes our 12.000 BTU Mitsubishi AirCon decreased the temperature to
27.4 Degrees and a whopping 63% Humdity
your absolutly right with what you wrote it squeezes out the humidty first, and quite fast in my opinion
i did set temperature to 25 Degrees C for that experiment, even thou our everyday usage for it is 26 C.
after 20 minutes the temperature and humidty is
26.7 Degrees and Humidity 57%
after 28 minutes it switched to silent mode and the temperature and humidty is
25 Degrees C and Humidty 52 %

Love the results :)
oil

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed May 24, 2017 10:59 am

oil wrote:ha ha, well i guess all of us had their fair share with funny recommendations for thai experts...
i am not a electrician... but we have 220V and we get 15Amps to our property... my builder wanted to put 9000 Watts Water Heater in the Bathroom and i told him we dont have the power to fire this one up...
but they didnt seem to understand what i was talking about :D

Well in that case your builder was correct and you do have the power for the water heater. Assuming you do not have a 5/15A supply.

If you have a 15/45 then you can easily draw 60A from it all day without any problems, it may not be exactly accurate at anything over 45A but 50% over is no problem. The maximum your heater would draw would be 41A and usually quite a bit less.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby oil » Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 am

now i dont understand it anymore the max Amps we have is 15 the Electricity Company said, we got only 1 phase.
A friend told me 230 V x 15 A is 3450 Watts ... thats the overall power i can have in the house at the same time running.
i dont know about the 15/45 thingie,,, but i know for sure that we have only 2 Power Cables to our house,
oil

Postby Klondyke » Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 pm

oil wrote:now i dont understand it anymore the max Amps we have is 15 the Electricity Company said, we got only 1 phase.
A friend told me 230 V x 15 A is 3450 Watts ... thats the overall power i can have in the house at the same time running.
i dont know about the 15/45 thingie,,, but i know for sure that we have only 2 Power Cables to our house,

Oil, don't get much headache about that. The meter 15 A is a standard what the PEA provides for a simple house. And that is always possible (and considered by PEA) to get overload. You can buy a simple heater 4,000 - 5,000 W, I have 3 of such size (I remember of a brand Tuborg?) bought many years ago for a sale (action) price, and all they work OK. Of course, in December - January, in the morning it will not scald you, but with a reduced flow it still can be warm enough for your Abnaahm. For the remaining months it is hot enough.

Such 5,000 W takes some 5,000W/230V = 21 Amps, your 15A meter and the 2 wires (L,N) will withstand the short term overload, and few more consumers as well. My house is similarly connected to the PEA pole by 2 wires that withhold not only the 3 water heater but also 6 pumps (each between 0.3 - 1 kW) and 3 aircons. Of course not all the el. consumers run at the same time, however, sometime it comes a lot of them together, it is OK.
Klondyke

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed May 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Crikey, 9000w water heater is way over kill. You expecting to use a hell of a lot of water or you like the water at 40deg C. 3000w i would have thought heated the water to a nice 30deg C with a reasonable flow. Mind you, after ours died 12months ago i have been procrastinating about buying a new one. The water never seems to be cold enough to warrant one. If you position your water tank in a sunny spot, you may never need one.
Andyfteeze

PreviousNext

Return to cooling systems