"Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

"Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby kmanonmaui » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Hello All,

While I have been on this forum for a while now, and already been the recipient of help from several members, especially Jerome, I have never properly taken the time to introduce myself. I am Kumar (Indian name, but I am all American...a story for another day), born in California, college in Maryland, background accounting and software programing. I have lived in Hawaii since 1985 and first travelled to Thailand at the age of ~ 25 in 1989. Actively started coming to Thailand at least a few times a year about 15 years ago.

Married a sweet woman from Kut Chap and she has lived with me in Hawaii since getting her visa almost 4 years. We have a 3-year-old daughter and a son due, well, actually any day now. We started building on property we purchased in the Kut Chap area (close enough to her family to easily visit, but no so close so they can walk over) last year. I have sold my business in Hawaii and we will be moving to Kut Chap this fall. My hope is that my newest two children (have four older daughters from earlier marriages) will be able to easily learn Thai as well English, so they may school college where they wish.

Aside from enjoying getting such solid (albeit sometimes hard to swallow) advice from those of you that have "been there, done that, and already figured out the right way", I also hope to befriend some of you. I enjoy golf, a bit, but not to the point that playing a bad round upsets me. Can drink with the best of them, but choose not to any more. Not a teetotaler either. Enjoy having a few, talking about ideas and such. But, do not care for people who become stupid when they drink. Used to bike (the kind without an engine) a lot and need to get back to doing that as I now look about as pregnant as my wife.

Our main house will be 10m x 21m, with a basement (again, another story), H beams, metal floor joists and metal walls between the posts and likely lap siding. Our property is on the “highway”, right side if coming from Udon, ~5.5 Rai. Here is a link to the property: https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4335148 ... a=!3m1!1e3. Property is about dead center, on a corner lot, a few lots before the highway bears left.
Anyway, again many thanks to all of those that have helped me so far, and a thank you in advance to those that will bear with me going forward. Hope to meet some of you in the near future.

Thanks,
-k-
User avatar
kmanonmaui
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby pipoz » Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 am

kmanonmaui wrote:Hello All,

While I have been on this forum for a while now, and already been the recipient of help from several members, especially Jerome, I have never properly taken the time to introduce myself. I am Kumar (Indian name, but I am all American...a story for another day), born in California, college in Maryland, background accounting and software programing. I have lived in Hawaii since 1985 and first travelled to Thailand at the age of ~ 25 in 1989. Actively started coming to Thailand at least a few times a year about 15 years ago.

Married a sweet woman from Kut Chap and she has lived with me in Hawaii since getting her visa almost 4 years. We have a 3-year-old daughter and a son due, well, actually any day now. We started building on property we purchased in the Kut Chap area (close enough to her family to easily visit, but no so close so they can walk over) last year. I have sold my business in Hawaii and we will be moving to Kut Chap this fall. My hope is that my newest two children (have four older daughters from earlier marriages) will be able to easily learn Thai as well English, so they may school college where they wish.

Aside from enjoying getting such solid (albeit sometimes hard to swallow) advice from those of you that have "been there, done that, and already figured out the right way", I also hope to befriend some of you. I enjoy golf, a bit, but not to the point that playing a bad round upsets me. Can drink with the best of them, but choose not to any more. Not a teetotaler either. Enjoy having a few, talking about ideas and such. But, do not care for people who become stupid when they drink. Used to bike (the kind without an engine) a lot and need to get back to doing that as I now look about as pregnant as my wife.

Our main house will be 10m x 21m, with a basement (again, another story), H beams, metal floor joists and metal walls between the posts and likely lap siding. Our property is on the “highway”, right side if coming from Udon, ~5.5 Rai. Here is a link to the property: https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4335148 ... a=!3m1!1e3. Property is about dead center, on a corner lot, a few lots before the highway bears left.
Anyway, again many thanks to all of those that have helped me so far, and a thank you in advance to those that will bear with me going forward. Hope to meet some of you in the near future.

Thanks,
-k-


Welcome, to use a phrase, I suggest that "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Try and build the structure part of your house, in a way familiar to how the Thai's know to build. That being, using a reinforced concrete structure method and not with structural steel, i.e "H beams, metal floor joists etc". You can easily enhance or even over design your RC structure without too much effort, at not too much extra cost and most Thai's builders will understand what to do (i.e larger footing, bigger columns, longer beam spans for more open space, deeper roof beams, etc.

Concrete is relatively cheap in Thailand and their metal form work systems (which most builders rent by the day for the build) can accommodate most structural shapes and sizes. In short you can build any size/shape RC structure you need, without too much trouble.

However going with H Beams and metal floor joists, will undoubtedly cost you more than a RC floor structure will and may I ask, for what purpose :?: Not to mention, finding you correct size H Beams may not be as easy as you think, if you are looking at a large open span area.

If your intention is to suspend your ground floor over the basement area (i.e, your ground floor slab becomes the basement roof), then their are plenty of other examples in the forum (other than using steel) on how best to do this. One is RC beams with a precast plank system for the floor, then topped with a lightly reinforced concrete slab (about 100 mm thick). The precast plank system (any length x 330mm Wide x 50-70mm Thick) is readily available throughout Thailand. The other is a Hollowcore Plank system which is also available

Metal Walls: Presumably you are referring to a metal stud wall system? If so, I am not to sure why you would want to go down this path in Thailand for a house

pipoz
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat May 13, 2017 3:53 pm

pipoz wrote:Welcome, to use a phrase, I suggest that "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"


First, thank you for your reply, information and thoughts.

As far as "Try and build the structure part of your house, in a way familiar to how the Thai's know to build", I most certainly agree in many regards and, to a larger extent, have learned that for many items I simply will not have any other choice but to do so, short of something drastic like shipping in a container, paying huge duties, and flying in a builder. So, no, I will not be shipping in those nice, double-pane slider windows that I want from the US or from any other place. But, I still certainly plan on figuring out a way of having MY insect screens on the outside :D

On another note, some of the ways things are done there I find much to my liking and prefer over the methods used in the US. Having few, if any, load-bearing interior walls is great. And, with the H beams, I do not have to even have those 4 in the middle of my home. Those damn posts, that I hated in the beginning, I now love.

That said, I will still attempt to do some things that are different than the "familiar way" if I have found that the materials are available, that I can manage the work done to my satisfaction and, if the cost is not so high that it more than negates any long-term savings or enjoyment I will get from "doing it the way I want". Yes, I am willing to pay a lot more than normal for getting what I can, "my way", but not so much that I am going to keep banging my head against one of my posts!

My primary "logical" reasons are around insulation and ease of running utilities initially and subsequent changes that may come up. My "not so logical" reason is probably just wanting to do as much as reasonably possible, my way.

So, I do have some reasons behind my desire to use both metal floor joists and wall studs. Some of these reasons which may not make fiscal sense, which so far has been fine. And, I understand that some my not realistically end up be an option based on materials available and/or worker skills. So, yes, I am resolved that I am unresolved in not being open and flexible to changes as I progress.

To be more specific:
- I would like to use the H Beans, spanning no more than 5 meters at the longest span and then metal floor joists, so that: a) my basement will as open as possible; b) I may insulate it much better than a poured R/C system will provide and; c) I will maintain reasonably easy access to make changes as far as pushing up electric, water, etc. at new locations in the future. I have not heard of, but will investigate after posting, the Hollowcore Plank system you mentioned.
- I would like to use the metal wall studs to also allow me to: a) make the walls as thick as I wish, for insulation, b) ease of running all utilities before closing them up; c) ease of adding/moving/changing utilities in the future and ; d) provide an easy system to attach my exterior wall boards, waterproofing and lap siding.
- I plan on also using smaller H Beans to span the posts at the top for the metal roofing to: a) provide a solid "attic floor" as I do have plans for having attic fans, including a whole home house fan; b) allow space for excellent attic insulation and; c) allow excessive roof span beyond normal by an extra 1.5m cantilever of the roof beams.

With the average R value of an 8" concrete wall being ~ 2 and both my wife and myself not caring if neighbors see our insect screens on the outside or not, as long as we can open a window when we want with ease, I will strive to do some things that are different than the standard. Heck, I already have a basement that almost everyone said would be a swimming pool come April, but it has been bone dry so far and I haven't even put in the pumps to extract any water around the foundation. Jerome did a bang up job on his walls to provide good insulation. But, if I can do it with metal wall joists, I prefer that method.

While I understand these items are neither "commonly done" and may easily "triple some prices", I have so far heard or found that these materials are reasonably available (some maybe involving orders from Bangkok) and I have decided I will likely bring in my own builder to oversee the completion of the structural shell.
User avatar
kmanonmaui
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat May 13, 2017 4:10 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:- I plan on also using smaller H Beans to span the posts at the top for the metal roofing to: a) provide a solid "attic floor" as I do have plans for having attic fans, including a whole home house fan; b) allow space for excellent attic insulation and; c) allow excessive roof span beyond normal by an extra 1.5m cantilever of the roof beams.


FWIW you don't need H beams for a bigger roof overhang. I have 2.5metres on three sides and no H beams. the only extra supports are at the front where i have 5.5 to 6.5 metres of roof outside the walls.
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat May 13, 2017 4:11 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:We have a 3-year-old daughter and a son due, well, actually any day now.-k-


btw, my son (Case Khamphi Manuel) was born Monday...00:26, so it was on the 8th in both Hawaii and Thailand! Here is a picture of him with my 3 bio daughters!
Case Khamphi Manuel.png
User avatar
kmanonmaui
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat May 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
kmanonmaui wrote:- I plan on also using smaller H Beans to span the posts at the top for the metal roofing to: a) provide a solid "attic floor" as I do have plans for having attic fans, including a whole home house fan; b) allow space for excellent attic insulation and; c) allow excessive roof span beyond normal by an extra 1.5m cantilever of the roof beams.


FWIW you don't need H beams for a bigger roof overhang. I have 2.5metres on three sides and no H beams. the only extra supports are at the front where i have 5.5 to 6.5 metres of roof outside the walls.


Ahhh, makes sense, not carrying a lot of weight. Thanks!
User avatar
kmanonmaui
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat May 20, 2017 4:01 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:Hello All,
Our main house will be 10m x 21m, with a basement (again, another story), H beams, metal floor joists and metal walls between the posts and likely lap siding. Our property is on the “highway”, right side if coming from Udon, ~5.5 Rai. Here is a link to the property: https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4335148 ... a=!3m1!1e3. Property is about dead center, on a corner lot, a few lots before the highway bears left.
Thanks,
-k-


I should have provided a link to pictures of the build to date (last there mid-December 2016). Here is a link: https://goo.gl/photos/YQ2GinsXm8byMwFi9
User avatar
kmanonmaui
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby pipoz » Sat May 20, 2017 10:02 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:
kmanonmaui wrote:Hello All,
Our main house will be 10m x 21m, with a basement (again, another story), H beams, metal floor joists and metal walls between the posts and likely lap siding. Our property is on the “highway”, right side if coming from Udon, ~5.5 Rai. Here is a link to the property: https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4335148 ... a=!3m1!1e3. Property is about dead center, on a corner lot, a few lots before the highway bears left.
Thanks,
-k-


I should have provided a link to pictures of the build to date (last there mid-December 2016). Here is a link: https://goo.gl/photos/YQ2GinsXm8byMwFi9


That's a nice big footprint

Your blocks look unusual, they appear to key or lock into each other. Can I ask where you found them

Regards

pipoz
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: "Kind of New", Kut Chap Area, Yankee

Postby kmanonmaui » Sun May 21, 2017 1:35 am

pipoz wrote:Your blocks look unusual, they appear to key or lock into each other. Can I ask where you found them
pipoz


Yes, they are "different". I cannot remember the name of the company, I was looking mostly for a slow dried quality block. The interlocking was not really needed for me as it is all solid grouted. The place is in Udon. My wife says she kept the receipts and has the name of the company, which I will post when we get back this fall.
User avatar
kmanonmaui
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 am
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand


Return to Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest