New member intro

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

New member intro

Postby MikeB » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Hello,
My name is Mike and I sometimes live in the Pacific NW in the U.S.A. My Thai partner and I will be building a small house on her family land near Nonsuwan, Buriram Province. We are taking tiny steps for now, bringing myself up to speed by reading the wealth of knowledge in this forum, sharing with her my philosophy about insulation, ventilation, and the why's and wherefore's of building as well as increasing her technical terminology. She is sharing with me the importance af staying calm. Win win.
I have a fair amount of experience in the building trades, just enough to know when to ask for help I hope! I also have a fair amount of experience living and working in developing countries so know how valuable her advice is to stay calm. Some days are easier than others.
I intend to be on site for the entire build, thanks for that advice!
I will be mostly lurking for now as most of my questions have already been addressed in this forum but may reach out when I can't find the "answer".
Thank you for sharing your stories and expertise, I think they will help smooth a bit of an undoubtedly bumpy road ahead.
Mike
MikeB

Re: New member intro

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Mike,
Good luck and may all your problems be small ones.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:50 pm

welcome - at least you have a heads up which is more than many others have up their sleeve - it will go a long way and possibly reduce some of the "building" stresses.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 am

MikeB wrote:Hello,
My name is Mike.
I have a fair amount of experience in the building trades, just enough to know when to ask for help I hope! I also have a fair amount of experience living and working in developing countries so know how valuable her advice is to stay calm. Some days are easier than others.

Hi Mike.
Your "experience in the building trades" could be very useful but it could easily trip you up.

For example there are reasons why "house wrap" isn't easily available and virtually unknown here.

So your experience could help when things are going wrong (they always do :lol: ) but insisting on a US construction method will often not work.

Anyway good luck, there will often be people here who may be able to help.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MikeB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 am

Hello all,
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I am throwing out much of what I know and trying to replace it with tropical building techniques. I am finding this forum to be educational and also thanking my lucky stars that I have some time to try to bring myself up to speed. Unfortunately, I am often reminded of the cartoon of the gentleman trying to get his brain to start functioning. Finally he states, "It's no use. It'll turn over but it just won't start!" Cheers!
MikeB

Return to Introduce Yourself