PVC Windows and Doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: PVC Windows and Doors

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Klondyke wrote:In the season when the a/c is needed most the whole house construction is warmed up to ca. 35 deg., even with a proper insulation of the outer walls. So, all the walls (and other objects as furniture) are giving off their accumulated heat to the inside space till late night. Unlike the windows that do not have the absorbing capacity. And their area is just a few procents to the area of the heat transmitting walls (and ceiling).

Hence the savings at the windows installation may better serve for the more comfortable a/c over few years long.

Humm. If that were happening in my construction I would have been doing quite a few things wrong.

In full sun I've had unpainted render get up to about 39 degrees C, the interior of that wall after 4 or 5 hours was about 25 degrees C, the white painted section beside it was 34 degrees C outside and 24 degrees C inside. No insulation just 7.5 cm AAC block.

My main construction which has full sun on the walls only early morning and afternoon has double walls and the inside walls temperature varies not at all. So internally the temperatures are much lower than you projected temperature.

I've been told that the area above my ceilings does get quite warm,but with insulation on the ceilings that doesn't get into the living spaces.

Now if you have walls of Thai concrete blocks painted a nice dark colour, a beautiful blue concrete tile roof no insulation or guttering so you have to have a nice wide concrete platform around your house that style great for absorbing heat then I can believe your 35 or maybe higher.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:40 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:
Klondyke wrote:A good help when running a/c at night is a heavy curtain, improving the insulation of the single glass window.

Maybe I cut a deal with SomeTimesWoodWorker to come make me some custom inside shutters !!! Now that would be sweet!

The shutters would be much more effective on the outside. And I maybe able to fit in your project in about 4 or 5 years time after every thing is done in our house.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:In full sun I've had unpainted render get up to about 39 degrees C, the interior of that wall after 4 or 5 hours was about 25 degrees C, the white painted section beside it was 34 degrees C outside and 24 degrees C inside. No insulation just 7.5 cm AAC block.

It depends in what season and in what time of the day do you make your measurements. The morning radiation of the wall that has been quite cool from the previous night will get different figures than the wall on the afternoon sunshine. Last years in this season (the entire April up to end of May) was in the North daily 40 - 42 deg. (air temp. in the shadow), nearly throughout the whole day, quite exceptional, no rain like this year, so the temperature of the wall on the full sun cannot be under 40, likely 50. So, the whole house (the walls) had kept quite high temperatures even at night.

If you have the wall on the full sun in the south/west direction (as I am having), at the evening (some 8 - 10 hours later) the single wall inside temperature is well above 37, quite warm by touching. Unlike the adjacent section of the double wall (a later extension of the existing room), hence I could easily compare the 2 construction styles. I wrote here once how I additionally insulated the single wall outside, thus getting the both wall sections inside on the same heat level. (White polystyrene foam board with cladding by Shera planks)

Klondyke

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:The shutters would be much more effective on the outside. And I maybe able to fit in your project in about 4 or 5 years time after every thing is done in our house.

Well, of course sir. But if I get my screens in that won't work and when I grew up in the Midwest of the US we had these and loved them. 3-4 years might just work :-)
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:59 am

Klondyke wrote:(White polystyrene foam board with cladding by Shera planks)

Just curious why your planks are not overlapping like normal (US) siding? Seems water seepage would be an issue, no? Or, not finished yet.
LapSiding.png
Standard Lap Siding in USA

Also, if you don't mind, which of the 16 distributors of Shera in the Udon area did you and/or Jerome use?

I was planning on using the Shera boards on the exterior just for sheathing. Perhaps a bit overboard as the main water-proofing goes over it, but makes sense with the other options readily available there. Planning on using their floor boards for my sub-floor over metal joists and their ceiling boards as well.

TIA!
-k-
kmanonmaui

Postby Klondyke » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:35 am

kmanonmaui wrote:
Klondyke wrote:(White polystyrene foam board with cladding by Shera planks)

Just curious why your planks are not overlapping like normal (US) siding? Seems water seepage would be an issue, no? Or, not finished yet.
Also, if you don't mind, which of the 16 distributors of Shera in the Udon area did you and/or Jerome use?
I was planning on using the Shera boards on the exterior just for sheathing. Perhaps a bit overboard as the main water-proofing goes over it, but makes sense with the other options readily available there. Planning on using their floor boards for my sub-floor over metal joists and their ceiling boards as well.
TIA!
-k-

No, we did not do the overlapping. The planks are fixed quite tightly together. In case sometimes some water (negligible amount) get through, it will drip down behind the planks (the cladding is not sealed at the bottom) and any moisture will get evaporated immediately by the next heat after the rain stops. And it could not make any harm to the polystyrene boards, nor to the original wall underneath that had been water proof enough.

I am not in the Isaan area. However, nowadays, theer are many big and smaller shops dealing with different brands, kinds and shapes of the WPC (Wood Plastic Composite).

Although there is also an outdoor furniture made by this material here in Thailand, not all matgerials are rigid enough. I saw few swimming pools with such floor around and it had showed many breakages. However, a wall cladding is not under a stress, mostly it helds properly.
Klondyke

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:16 pm

oil wrote:keep us updated about the quotation for the windows,

Just got my first one in (most other have either not responded or are still trying to figure out what double pane and screening mean :cry:

Quote is attached. Pricy, but if good, works for me. Got an English Chap there, Nathan, that seems to really know his stuff.

kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:53 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:

Just got my first one in (most other have either not responded or are still trying to figure out what double pane and screening mean :cry:

Quote is attached. Pricy, but if good, works for me. Got an English Chap there, Nathan, that seems to really know his stuff.

Quotation Kumar Udon Thani_ProjectSuppliesDirectCoLTD.pdf

That's not pricey. Just wait for PrimeAsia

You should ask for IGU's not double pane, and mosquito screens. Neither of your terms are usual.

Double pane could easily mean two independent opening windows.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Anyone have experience in dealing with Project Supplies Direct?

Sometimewoodworker - Prime Asia has responded...since some sample pictures, but no price yet. They are one of the companies trying to understand double pane/glazing and insect screens.

Here are the ones I have reached out to for windows, fyi:
- Project Supplies Direct
- ARC Component Manufacturing Rayong Co.,Ltd.
- Deku
- Hevta
- Toni In Thailand
- Trade Up VC Windows

Sometimewoodworker / Anyone - I found several dealers of Shera in the Udon area. Anyone that you have dealt with that you liked? Also, I am planning the following and any advice would be greatly appreciated:
For External Sheathing (before waterproofing and stucco layers): http://www.sherasolution.com/en/residen ... 3/info/67/
For Internal Walls: Same as above but will finish with drywall patches for seams and then paint
For Sub-Floor: http://www.sherasolution.com/en/residen ... /info/228/
For Ceiling: http://www.sherasolution.com/en/residen ... /info/257/
And under eaves: http://www.sherasolution.com/en/residen ... 4/info/51/

Wanted thoughts on using this product for a whole lot of my building.
kmanonmaui

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:That's not pricey. Just wait for PrimeAsia

You should ask for IGU's not double pane, and mosquito screens. Neither of your terms are usual.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not so worried about the price as long as the quality is there. And, I'll try and use terms the will understand :-)

IGU = Insulated glass units, right?

Thanks again.
kmanonmaui

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Got attached just now for ARC - don't follow the BIG difference in the quote so have asked them for more details...maybe one is IGUs and the other not...

kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:37 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:That's not pricey. Just wait for PrimeAsia

Thanks for the feedback. I am not so worried about the price as long as the quality is there. And, I'll try and use terms the will understand :-)

IGU = Insulated glass units, right?

Thanks again.

Insulating Glass Units
Or insulated glazing units

If you mention Jerome and Nui Meekings house near udon to PrimeAsia you may have a little more success.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:If you mention Jerome and Nui Meekings house near udon to PrimeAsia you may have a little more success.

Ahhh, going to send to them now. Thanks!
kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:39 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:

Got attached just now for ARC - don't follow the BIG difference in the quote so have asked them for more details...maybe one is IGUs and the other not...

070-17 Mr.Kumar Manuel Option 1-VEKA Premium (002).pdf

070-17 Mr.Kumar Manuel Option 1-VEKA Premium (002).pdf

Those are the same quote :roll:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
kmanonmaui wrote:

Those are the same quote :roll:

Duh, must be getting punchy here, almost 11pm. Attached.
070-17 Mr.Kumar Manuel. Opt.2 VEKA-HALO (002).pdf
(78.3 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
kmanonmaui

PreviousNext

Return to windows and doors