Looking for genuine builder

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Looking for genuine builder

Postby Royster » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:04 am

Hello folks,

I am building my new house near Prakonchai, Buriram.
I was there overseeing it until work brought me back to the uk and it's been on hold now for a while.
I am now in a position to get the ball rolling again but every corner I turn the prices keep changing, matreriald this, other things that. My wife's family have done most of it so far with the help of the villagers who have been great when I was there.
I'm sick and tired. Ow of arguing over it so would rather get a trustworthy person in to finish it now.
It's up to roof level and the roof has doubled in price in the last two week.
Can anyone help please?
TIA
Royster

Re: Looking for genuine builder

Postby AJBangkok » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:41 am

Royster wrote:Hello folks,

I was there overseeing it until work brought me back to the uk and it's been on hold now for a while.
I am now in a position to get the ball rolling again but every corner I turn the prices keep changing, matreriald this, other things that. My wife's family have done most of it so far with the help of the villagers who have been great when I was there.
I'm sick and tired. Ow of arguing over it so would rather get a trustworthy person in to finish it now.
Can anyone help please?
TIA

I hate to say it but unless you or someone else is there overseeing then the prices will creep up and the closer to the end you get the quotes will be astronomically high ( if you are using the same people )

I''m finishing a house at the moment and last week the tiling guys tried to charge me 3000 baht to carry 4 bags of motar and around 30 bricks from outside to the 1st floor. This week they are asking for an additional 50 baht per m2 to carry the tiles from the ground floor to the 1st floor. I have a half bathroom where I am putting mosaic tiles the original tiler never came back from new year and the new guy is asking 15,000 to complete the remaining 6m2 - his rational is his crew doesn't like working in such a small room. I had a written quote for doing some cement work and when the bill was presented the cost per m2 was 20% higher, I could go on and off on with the attempts to squeeze more baht.

If you can get a foreign neighbour to manage the site while you are away that may help. I now have a foreign project manager and he provides a buffer so no one loses face. I still get the crazy requests and attempts to pad bills but he nips that in the bud pretty effectively.
AJBangkok

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:28 am

AJBangkok wrote:

Can anyone help please?
TIA

I hate to say it but unless you or someone else is there overseeing then the prices will creep up and the closer to the end you get the quotes will be astronomically high ( if you are using the same people )

I''m finishing a house at the moment and last week the tiling guys tried to charge me 3000 baht to carry 4 bags of motar and around 30 bricks from outside to the 1st floor. This week they are asking for an additional 50 baht per m2 to carry the tiles from the ground floor to the 1st floor. I have a half bathroom where I am putting mosaic tiles the original tiler never came back from new year and the new guy is asking 15,000 to complete the remaining 6m2 - his rational is his crew doesn't like working in such a small room. I had a written quote for doing some cement work and when the bill was presented the cost per m2 was 20% higher, I could go on and off on with the attempts to squeeze more baht.

From what you've said it's pretty clear that the tiling guys are trying to get fired and the new guy doesn't want the job as he is quoting 10X the correct price.

I've also had a slightly similar experience. The electrical quotation is for wiring to all the lighting points but not fitting (fitting tales under 5 minutes per light) the electrician is strongly suggesting that I let him fit the lights at 200 per light this would get him over 16,000 for half a days extra work.

However the building company we are using is much better and is staying with their quote, only asking a reasonable amount if we ask them to do extra work.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Can anyone help please?
TIA

Hi and if it is only the roof you want to do, at this time, I used a guy from Khon Kaen to do my whole roof package. He is straight as an arrow, and work quality is excellent. He does a lot of roof work for SCG Homemart.

KA even got me a cheaper price on buying my tiles from Homemart, than I could get when trying to buy them myself. He will give you a fixed price for the whole of the roof (framing, reflective foil, tiles & fascia board) , supply & fix or just labour.

You can see his work under my Build “Udon Thani Happy House" by pipoz on Pages 7 -9, plus he also did Jomoblues house refer "My Building Story" by Jomoblues

His name is Mr. Khun Agon (KA) and his phone number is 082 700 6221 and he comes from Khon Kaen and will travel

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Return to Introduce Yourself