Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby pipoz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Alan wrote:Can someone translate this? I know it is Elephant brand but I am wondering what the rest says. Unfortunately I can't read much Thai

I am told,

The Red says "For Structure"

The Green says " Hybrid formula for Environment", or something like that

pipoz
pipoz

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Think you got it right on Pipoz.

Siam Mortar
Description
Cement Structural Formula Hybrid is a cement type Hydraulics of general formula has been researched with material science. And technology to produce a new standard hybrid structure strength. And environmentally friendly And energy conservation

https://www.thaitrade.com/store/siam_mo ... g---243181
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

House Footings

Postby Alan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for the info Pipoz and the link Bkkbill. My interest is what ratio the contractor is using. I could be wrong but with the information I have on "billed products" indicate a mixing ratio much lower than what I expected (specifically Portland cement). I have to investigate further.

I am providing a few more photos that just show progress. The contractor wants to complete the garage portion first so floor beams and floor should be the next stage. he wants to fill in the footings to facilitate poring the skim coat of 50cm under the house. My concern is settling.
Attachments
1.jpg
Garage Should Be +30m above the roadway surface
2.jpg
House Footings
Alan
Alan

Re: House Footings

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Alan wrote:Thanks for the info Pipoz and the link Bkkbill. My interest is what ratio the contractor is using. I could be wrong but with the information I have on "billed products" indicate a mixing ratio much lower than what I expected (specifically Portland cement). I have to investigate further.

I am providing a few more photos that just show progress. The contractor wants to complete the garage portion first so floor beams and floor should be the next stage. he wants to fill in the footings to facilitate poring the skim coat of 50cm under the house. My concern is settling.

Getting ready mix is a good solution for that, only CPac for preference other companies will use excess water. That way your only concern is not having it too wet.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 am

STWW: my builder was only framing out about 8 columns at a time. less than what CPAC requires for a minimum order so he was hand mixing. we are preparing to pour the garage columns and beams so we will be using CPAC for this.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 am

Here are some pics of the garage foundation columns. Some digging required for the floor beams, form work starts tomorrow. Top of beams should come up to 15cm above roadway elevation. They will have to do some bending of the steel coming out of the foundation columns to match the size of the 20cm x 40cm floor beams. Probably need to talk to the builder to make sure he understands this.
Attachments
1.jpg
6.jpg
9.jpg
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:37 am

Garage Floor Beam must contain extended (vertical) stirrups that allow the garage floor rebar to be tied into them. Approximately every other stirrup should extend at least 30cm in order to tie the floor together with the floor beams. Once the beams are established, the area needs to be filled with compacted dirt to bring the elevation up to 15cm above the roadway height. Prior to pouring garage floor, plastic needs to be installed under the entire floor area. The garage floor will be 15cm thick @ 3500psi minimum.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 am

Working on garage floor beams. I have a question on placement of the extra beam which I suspect is for the stairs from garage to house. One pic show a little surface rust. This must be cleaned prior to pouring cement. I have to talk to the contractor because the garage floor beams do not contain the additional internal stirrups as discussed prior. It is acceptable for the garage floor beams not to have this extra support but I want to add this to the house floor beams. I thought it was under stood as this was change when they started.
Attachments
6.jpg
2.jpg
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 pm

As far as your surface rust is concerned you can buy a small black bottle labelled CV108 rust converter. It looks like a bottle of whiteout and you just shake well and pour it on, then use a small paint brush to spread it out over the area. Rust gone in about two hours. Be careful with it I think it could be poisonous, but my wife says all it says in Thai is rust remover.
I've never heard of beams without stirrups before. I'd be very careful and follow the plans to the letter.
As far as extending the stirrups up so you can attach rebar to it for stairs, don't do it, the rebar should be wired onto the horizontal rebar in at least three places.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:50 am

Hi RR. The beams do have stirrups @ 15cm spacing. I was talking about the additional internal stirrups that we discussed at the start of the project while constructing the column rebar frames. I'm ok with the beams on the ground not having the extra stirrups but for the house floor beams, I want them included. Thanks for the tip on the CV108 rust converter. I will pass this on to the contractor.

I had an issue with the location of the garage stairs to enter the house. The beam that would be supporting the stairs (see previous picture) was too far from the house foundation. Later I found out that my project manager told the contractor to make them a little longer and did not let me know. I had to have another one-on-one talk with my project manager.

Hope to pour the garage beams on Monday.

I lost the pricing information on the roofing tiles I had selected when I was there last year. Does anyone know what the price is of the Ha Huang Granada roofing tiles?

Thanks, Alan
Attachments
1.jpg
Extra Internal Stirrups in Floor Beams
Alan

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Alan
The detail for your stirrups...I call them links is wrong sorry.

The purpose of links in reinforcement are to increase the shear capacity of the beam. shear is at risk at the end bearing points, hence you often see an increase in the links over beams and at junctions.
unless your beam carrying the stairs is dangerousely thin, and I mean less than 150mm deep and spanning over 3m unsupported then by all means increase links within the first 600mm of the bearing ends.

With regard to your diamond link. its a no no. links are designed to slide/wrap around a composition of rebars. you will not find diamonds like that and I suspect you will end up seeing the big hammer come out to knucking facker them up.

if you are bent on including extra links then wrap them around the top 6 rebars only.

In addition, normal practice would also be to run stirrups (my terminology again) which are single pieces of rebar about 1500mm long. this bar would be bent at 45 degrees in the middle. say 500mm flat at the top, then 500mm at 45 degree then 500 flat on the bottom rebar. two or three each side.
the 45 degree slopes counteracts shear....no real need for your extra links at all.
eyecatcher

Postby Alan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:58 am

thanks eyecatcher, I was thinking of just leaving the diamond out of the beams. The beam I was pointing to in the picture is the same size as the rest. I believe what you are talking about at the end of you comment is called the "bent bar" technique.
Alan

Postby Alan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:17 am

some pics of CPAC pouring cement for the garage floor beams. Everything is based upon a four meter grid and the extra beams support garage and front porch stairs.
Attachments
28.jpg
This is the front porch area. Should be a one meter landing and stairs.
22.jpg
I'm hoping there is enough fill to pack down prior to installing the garage floor.
13.jpg
Here the contractor is not using a vibrator but uses a rake to massage the cement.
1.jpg
Using a trough to extend the reach of the CPAC truck
Alan

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Alan,
I can't see much from the photos, but if you are going to use the beams for the start of the stairs you should have rebar in an open box anchored to the beams in three places and at least 1 metre of rebar left sticking out so it can be shaped into the first two stairs rebar.
All Thai houses I've visited have the stairs broken away from the house because they fail to do this and don't link in the beam rebar with the stair rebar.
I really do hope you didn't pour cement onto the bare ground....all the water in the concrete would have seeped into the ground and the beams will have lost over 1/3 of their strength.
A roll of 100 metres by 2 metres of heavy duty black plastic is just 1,000 baht, but saves 50,000 baht of wasted concrete.
I know you are not there, but you are paying a project manager who should know all these things.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 am

RR. I agree with your reasoning. Personally, I would have extended some rebar out of the floor beam to attach to the stair frame. The garage floor is 15cm/6inches so I am wondering if this is sufficient for an anchoring point? The weight would still be transferred to the underlying beam, just not directly connected. The preparation of the underside of the garage floor will include compaction, plastic moisture barrier and rebar extending out of the floor to attach the stair rebar. Still more to explore.
Alan
Alan

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story