Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:41 am

thanks AJ. that's a beautiful house. must have cost bazillions of $. I saw the windows on their site.
my house is one story and sort of plain. the window spec I sent to many companies was for uPVC sliding windows, standard sizes except the bathrooms. I requested double glazing, (laminated), UV protection and fixed insect screens. the one feature that gives them a little spark is a fixed arched half-moon window on the top of the regular windows. they sent me a quote that ran about 16,740 per m2. without the arched windows the price could actually be in the 10-12,000 per m2. installation was around 6,410 per m2. seems a bit pricey at this point. I am still waiting on the many request for quotes, so I haven't made any decisions yet.

the issue so far is several companies do not offer all of the options I want, no arched windows, no UV protection, no installation, ect.

Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:09 am

Received some new pics today. All holes have been dug. The contractor is placing all of the foundation footing and column frames in the holes. He is verifying that they are level and plumb.
He told me he wanted to order 26m3 of CPAC. My calculations indicated that he needed 18m3 CPAC. After receiving the pics, I understand why. He is not using any forms for the footing pad. The holes were dug very close to the correct dimensions but I’m sure they are slightly larger which is where the extra cement is going. When he starts on the columns he will have to use forms so hopefully this will not continue to increase my budget.
Attachments
14.jpg
12.jpg
6.jpg
3.jpg
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Alan wrote:thanks AJ. that's a beautiful house. must have cost bazillions of $. I saw the windows on their site.
my house is one story and sort of plain. the window spec I sent to many companies was for uPVC sliding windows, standard sizes except the bathrooms. I requested double glazing, (laminated), UV protection and fixed insect screens. the one feature that gives them a little spark is a fixed arched half-moon window on the top of the regular windows. they sent me a quote that ran about 16,740 per m2. without the arched windows the price could actually be in the 10-12,000 per m2. installation was around 6,410 per m2. seems a bit pricey at this point. I am still waiting on the many request for quotes, so I haven't made any decisions yet.

the issue so far is several companies do not offer all of the options I want, no arched windows, no UV protection, no installation, ect.

Alan

Our installation was about 10% of the cost of the windows. The thing you have to factor in is the professionalism of the installation team. The install starts at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4890&start=225 We have virtually the same specifications on our windows except our insect screens are either concertina or roller.

A point to keep in mind is that if you vary the thickness of the glass (PrimeAsia has no problem with that) you will reduce the sound transmission as each thickness will reduce different frequencies.

Another point is that if you want laminated glass as a theft protection you need to go up to 1.52 mm PVB

An example was
Laminate Green Low E Glass 3mm+PVB1.52 + Clear Low E 4mm+Argon 8mm+Clear Float Glass 5mm)
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Alan

Can I ask what you grid - pile spacing is?

pipoz
Attachments
Slide2.JPG
Slide2.JPG (14.11 KiB) Viewed 507 times
pipoz

Postby Alan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:09 am

sometimewoodworker, yes the combination of glass-air gap-glass has a great influence on the final price. PA quoted an IGU24mm combo and others 6-9-6 combo.

pipoz, the footing grid is 4m x 4m.

alan
Alan
Alan

Postby AJBangkok » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:31 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Alan wrote:thanks AJ. that's a beautiful house. must have cost bazillions of $. I saw the windows on their site.

Alan

Our installation was about 10% of the cost of the windows. The thing you have to factor in is the professionalism of the installation team. The install starts at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4890&start=225 We have virtually the same specifications on our windows except our insect screens are either concertina or roller.

A point to keep in mind is that if you vary the thickness of the glass (PrimeAsia has no problem with that) you will reduce the sound transmission as each thickness will reduce different frequencies.

Another point is that if you want laminated glass as a theft protection you need to go up to 1.52 mm PVB

An example was
Laminate Green Low E Glass 3mm+PVB1.52 + Clear Low E 4mm+Argon 8mm+Clear Float Glass 5mm)

My installation was originally priced at 15% of the price of the windows and I negotiated it down to around 10%. Apparently there is a big difference if you are located in Bangkok as in its cheaper. As I was located in Hua Hin the cost was up there and I can understand it as they were onsite for 2 and a half weeks due to the huge amount of windows I had to install and it was the first time they had installed the slide and stack windows.

When I looked around at all the companies the prices, those that bothered to reply in the high quality range were around 10-12k average per meter for standard windows for UPVC. Speaking of the high quality range I am pretty sure that there are only 2 main international soppliers of upvc prime Asia uses one of them and I can't recall the other ones name but they are global mega suppliers. Pretty much everything else is cheap Chinese quality. A quality fabricator will always "advertise" there supplier of profiles whereas a lot of the cheaper fabricators who buy from china won't. I would steer clear of Chinese profiles.
AJBangkok

Postby Alan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:17 am

Pouring footer pads today. I think they poured about half of them. Still waiting on the tally of cement to see how much more my contractor used vs. using a frame to keep things within budget.
Attachments
3.jpg
The 4 meter spacing is great for driving a cement truck between the footers
2.jpg
The wire rod sticking out of the dirt is 40cm high
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:11 am

44 footing pads complete. I calculate the results of not using forms for the pads cost me ~15,000thb. Not extraordinary but in the end true. I estimate 17.60 + 10% equaling 19.36 rounded up to 20m3, so 6m3 over budget. the contractor has to use wooden forms for the rest of the project so I'm going to let this slide. Next is the formwork for the foundation columns.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:44 am

Some pics of the formwork to bring the foundation columns up to the floor beam connection.
Attachments
18.png
This is the view from my soon to be back porch
14.jpg
My builder and his small crew
12.jpg
First two rows ready for cement
10.jpg
Foundation Column Forms
Alan

Postby pipoz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Alan wrote:Some pics of the formwork to bring the foundation columns up to the floor beam connection.

Very nice view, you just need some Ducks

pipoz
pipoz

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 pm

pipoz wrote:
Alan wrote:Some pics of the formwork to bring the foundation columns up to the floor beam connection.

Very nice view, you just need some Ducks

pipoz

dont be quackers; Alan has enough bills to pay at the moment :roll:
eyecatcher

Postby Alan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:29 am

Actually we (brother-in-law) had about 50 ducks at one time. They slowly died off, not sure why. They are restricted to the very shallow mud puddle in the front yard which is fed by the ditch on the east side. The ditch has fish and eel in it so maybe the eel are biting them. Some walk around with a limp. Anyway there are only about 20 left which provide a few eggs for eating.

I received a few pictures today. I think they have poured cement in a few of the foundation columns that rise up to the floor beam. (next component)
only have one clean picture and it doesn't show much. Hope they get the height right.

Alan
Attachments
3.jpg
Foundation Columns
Alan

Postby Alan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:23 am

More foundation columns going up. Columns are supposed to be 40x40cm. A 20x40cm floor beam goes on top of the columns, then 5cm floor plank and 5cm of floor cement bringing the final floor height to +1.20m (above the roadway elevation). The garage final floor height is +30cm so the foundation columns will be much shorter. I think they have about 2/3rds of the footing columns done.
Attachments
3.jpg
View facing west.
2.jpg
East side of property
4.jpg
One of the shallow footings. Some areas of the house footprint hit suitable soil bearing early; like the roadways around the ponds.
1.jpg
View from the small house (other end of the property)
Alan

Postby pipoz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:48 am

Alan wrote:More foundation columns going up. Columns are supposed to be 40x40cm. A 20x40cm floor beam goes on top of the columns, then 5cm floor plank and 5cm of floor cement bringing the final floor height to +1.20m (above the roadway elevation). The garage final floor height is +30cm so the foundation columns will be much shorter. I think they have about 2/3rds of the footing columns done.

Progress looks good, you will be finished in no time :lol:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:39 am

Can someone translate this? I know it is Elephant brand but I am wondering what the rest says. Unfortunately I can't read much Thai
Attachments
13.jpg
Alan
Alan

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story