Building a Mushroom Farm in Sakon Nakhon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a Mushroom Farm in Sakon Nakhon

Postby Caine » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:52 pm

G'day mate. Thanks for sharing your story. I found it very interesting. My wife and I have started a small farm with 10,000 bags at the moment out in chumpae. I still live in WA because we will need the money to achieve what I want in the future. Anyway what I've set up so far is to help her family become self sufficient and it is working ok so far. I am struggling with trying to get them to understand some of the needs of growing mushrooms in relation to humidity, light and temperature. I will get them sorted soon I hope.
My dream is to be doing what u r doing now in a few years along with crocodile farming around the chumpae area. I would love to talk to u sometime and even come and see u and ur farm if that's ok. I spend any spare time when I'm not working trying to get my head around this mushroom farming idea. At present the farm they have is quite on and off in production and may produce 30-40kg one day and 10 kg A day for another week. I need ur advice and guidance on how I can assure they are producing optimally.
I have also looked into a bag producing machine and preparing my own if u think that is needed, or can u do it by hand??
Anyway I would love to have a chat.. My email is <Best not to put your email address in an open forum - mod> or on my Facebook page I also have pics of the mushroom farm, Caine Melbourne.. Cheers mate
Caine

Postby kknaj » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Caine,

Sorry for late reply. Better to message or e-mail me as I'm not on too often at the moment.

Mushroom farming is an interesting business. First you have to work out how much money you need to make to survive and expand. Only then can you figure out how big your farm needs to be to support your family and future. As a hobby or a side income then any size you feel comfortable with dealing with is ok.

For us however this is to be our main income for a while so we need an average of 60kgs a day and 20,000 mushroom bag sales a month.

if you want to know how many kgs a mushroom house will average over 4 months the answer is around 5-7kgs a day over that 4 months. Some days could be 20kg and some could be 0kg or 2kg. If you do the math then you will have an answer.

For any decent income I would recommend 6 mushrooms houses of 5000 bags each house to make 30-40,000B profit per month. About half your income would go to restocking the bags. So cash made would be 60-80,000 baht but profit would be the 30,000-40,000 as above. We need to make 4 times that thus we have more mushroom houses plus the sale of the mushroom bags.

When you manufacture the bags yourself with a mixing machine and packing machine then your restocking cost come down a bit.

Once you get into the manufacturing of bags it becomes a full time good managing the staff and keeping the quality high.

Our farm can be found on facebook (Phosi Mushroom Farm) and vistors are welcome in the afternoons. You can ring ahead on the number on the page to make sure Ae is there at the time.
kknaj

Postby kknaj » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:56 pm

tomyum wrote:How you going mate, i would like to see your set up if possible i live in Phangkhon which is not to far from you my wife and i are planning to set up a farm small at first and go from there
Thank you

Tom

Hi Tom,

You can visit the farm in the afternoons - go to the facebook page: www.facebook.com/Mushroomfarmsakonnakhon

I will not be there until February but Ae will be there. All future messages I advise a personal message.
kknaj

Postby kknaj » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:59 pm

kiwicvi wrote:Hi kknaj,

Congratulation in your mushroom farm. It look fantastic.

However, i am keen in learning to grow mushroom and be a cultivator as well, i do have a piece of land in Thailand which is empty.
Is it possible to share knowledge and i am willing to drop by your farm and be a trainee.
Will appreciate for a reply....thank you very much

Hi Kiwicvi,

We don't have a trainee program yet sorry but you are welcome to visit. There are trainee programs around. Ae went to an ifarm training which was ok. But as I mentioned to Caine you need to do the math on how much you want to make first. They don't teach you that on the training. We started with 4 houses and didn't make enough money.
kknaj

Postby kknaj » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:07 pm

Our farm has been growing. This year we should finally be making some decent money.

Photos attached. More on the building story soon.
Attachments
November 2016.jpg
November 2016_2.jpg
November 2016_3.jpg
November 2016_4.jpg
kknaj

Postby MGV12 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:05 pm

kknaj wrote:Our farm has been growing. This year we should finally be making some decent money.

Photos attached. More on the building story soon.

Good to see that all the hard work is finally paying out for you kknaj ... respect.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby kknaj » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:32 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Good to see that all the hard work is finally paying out for you kknaj ... respect.

Thanks MGV12. It has been a long hard road with me making money in Australia to keep the farm going and expand it to its current size. What should have cost 700,000 baht ended up costing over 2 mil baht. Thats what happens when doing it wrong from the start. Which is probably why 9 out of 10 city folk starting a mushroom farm give up within 2 years.

For me that wasn't an option. Once I had put 1 mil baht into the business I wasn't going to let it go to waste. Kudos to my Fiancee for rising to the challenge.
kknaj

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:46 am

kknaj wrote:Thats what happens when doing it wrong from the start. Which is probably why 9 out of 10 city folk starting a mushroom farm give up within 2 years.

Well done kknaj, good to see you stuck with it and making a go of things and keeping the blog up to date.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Bam and Spencer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi,

Your farm layout looks great, congratulations,

My GF and I have just started a mushroom farm in Kalasin.
We own 10 Rai of land so we also started a few veggies beside the mushrooms.
We have built 5 shelters 10m/5m.
Each one is to contains 4000 to 5000 bags.

We have built those out of a small village beside the Lam Pao water reserve.
Electricity is solar power.
Water comes from a well.
So far my GF's sister, grand-pa and aunt live on site in a small house we built.
We are planning to make home there as soon as it becomes financially manageable.
We are actually abroad making money for building the farms needs and our house among having a few savings for safety.

So far we have only filled 2 shelters in view to handle the first days when production is very high and prevent from wasting.
We have several retailers who are prepared to come and pic up our production directly at our farm for average 50 bht/kg

From your experience on several years, what can we expect as a yearly production per shelter ?
I heard all sorts of things and this varies a lot from one to other.

Did you try adiabatic cooling systems to increase production during hot season ?
Bam and Spencer

Postby kknaj » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Bam and Spencer wrote:Hi,

Your farm layout looks great, congratulations,

My GF and I have just started a mushroom farm in Kalasin.
We own 10 Rai of land so we also started a few veggies beside the mushrooms.
We have built 5 shelters 10m/5m.
Each one is to contains 4000 to 5000 bags.

We have built those out of a small village beside the Lam Pao water reserve.
Electricity is solar power.
Water comes from a well.
So far my GF's sister, grand-pa and aunt live on site in a small house we built.
We are planning to make home there as soon as it becomes financially manageable.
We are actually abroad making money for building the farms needs and our house among having a few savings for safety.

So far we have only filled 2 shelters in view to handle the first days when production is very high and prevent from wasting.
We have several retailers who are prepared to come and pic up our production directly at our farm for average 50 bht/kg

From your experience on several years, what can we expect as a yearly production per shelter ?
I heard all sorts of things and this varies a lot from one to other.

Did you try adiabatic cooling systems to increase production during hot season ?

Hi Bam and Spencer,

Sounds like you have a good start.

Thanks for your post and questions. I will answer each part:

Each mushroom house should produce 5-7kgs on average per day over 3-4 months. Bags don't produce too well after 4 months so a year actually has at least 2 crop opportunities (Hed Kon in summer and rain season and hed nung fa outside of april/ may. Some days you may get 0 kgs from a house, other days you could get 20 kgs from a house. We space out our mushroom bag production and opening per house every 2 weeks to keep it as consistent as possible.

Water: The water needs to be the right PH level. Rain water is best but when we don't have enough water we order a truck of 3000-4000 litres to fill up our tanks. We get this water from the large Sakon Nakhon Lake. Well water may be too acidic so I would get this checked. We don't use city water for the same reasons. Our sprinkler system wasn't working as well as hoped so we manually hose the houses ever 2-3 hours or so. Make sure you pick the mushrooms only 3-4 hours after watering otherwise the mushrooms will be too wet and the sellers don't like that. They also go off too quickly when wet. Yes they are heavier after watering but quality is more important for sellers and customers.

adiabatic cooling systems: I don't have any knowledge or experience with this but sounds expensive so most profit would be lost if thats the case. Best to grow mushrooms that are most suitable for that time of year as above. I will be experimenting on heating systems for the cooler times of the year using either solar hot water or pumping steam into the houses December, Jan and Feb next season if necessary. Grass roof houses and regular watering should be enough for Hed Nung Fa and Hed Kon houses should have small windows at the back and front door fully open for the hottest days to keep it under 40 C.

If you don't have a good manager on the ground to see the temperatures are right and the watering get done right then you can lose half your crop so make sure you have someone doing it right or be there yourselves to make sure.

I hope that helps. If you need good quality bags then we sell at around 7 baht per bag for orders above 3000 bags.

Cheers, KKnaj
Farm Hed Phosi Sakon Nakhon
kknaj

Postby Bam and Spencer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Kknaj,

Thanks for your kind and fast response and your good advises,
Luckily we have some well experienced and reliable support taking care of the farm,
I'll check out the PH of the water, if too acid I'll take it from the Lam Pao water reserve as we could actually pump directly out of it :wink:
We are expecting our first harvest next week.

Adiabatic cooling is simply using the evaporation of water to cool temperatures, example: putting a wet curtain in a stream of air. The air will come out cooler than at entrance. of course this is a very simple one but it can be made quite efficient at a low cost.

There are many simple low cost techniques that can also be used for heating as you mentioned you might heat the shelters in winter; double roofing with air stream, black pipe water circulating.
I definitely will be testing those, so I will not miss to keep you posted with results and impact on mushroom production. I you are looking for any advise on any of cooling and heating home made solutions, please feel free, it will be my pleasure to assist you too.

Can I ask how you manage your visa ?

We quite probably will be coming over to kalasin in Feb, might get a chance to visit you if you don't mind !?

Happy new year and all the best to you and your happy familly,
Bam and Spencer

Postby kknaj » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Bam and Spencer wrote:Hi Kknaj,

Thanks for your kind and fast response and your good advises,
Luckily we have some well experienced and reliable support taking care of the farm,
I'll check out the PH of the water, if too acid I'll take it from the Lam Pao water reserve as we could actually pump directly out of it :wink:
We are expecting our first harvest next week.

Adiabatic cooling is simply using the evaporation of water to cool temperatures, example: putting a wet curtain in a stream of air. The air will come out cooler than at entrance. of course this is a very simple one but it can be made quite efficient at a low cost.

There are many simple low cost techniques that can also be used for heating as you mentioned you might heat the shelters in winter; double roofing with air stream, black pipe water circulating.
I definitely will be testing those, so I will not miss to keep you posted with results and impact on mushroom production. I you are looking for any advise on any of cooling and heating home made solutions, please feel free, it will be my pleasure to assist you too.

Can I ask how you manage your visa ?

We quite probably will be coming over to kalasin in Feb, might get a chance to visit you if you don't mind !?

Happy new year and all the best to you and your happy familly,

Hi Bam and Spencer,

I just saw your post. I understand now what you mean about the cooling. Hosing down the houses and bags every few hours is part of the cooling process that is along the same lines as a water curtain for example. There may be a way to create an air stream passing through a water curtain.. the only question is how much would it cost to set up, then run versus how much extra mushrooms it would produce. I am interested to know your results as it is something to look at for the future in modernizing the process without raising the costs of the mushrooms.

This year our crop hasn't been affected too much by the cooler weather so far so I'll see by the end of February if it is worth investing in heating next year. So far Hed Nung Fa and Hed Hungery are still doing ok during this cooler period.

You are welcome anytime at the farm. Usually Ae is there in the afternoons and I'll be there after End Jan.

Happy New Year.
kknaj

Previous

Return to Your Building Story