q-con english handbook available online

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

q-con english handbook available online

Postby canopy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 am

q-con has published english instructions for making q-con walls outlining the process from block to render. This is good news for those interested in assuring their job is being done to spec. And now english speakers can verify that in Thailand metal straps are used every other row to correct wrong information posted by others. Not only this, but they also outline how to shape the straps and define nail placement. Just lots of real good information here with ample pictures:

http://qcon.co.th/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/QCON-Handbook-English.pdf
canopy

Re: q-con english handbook available online

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:29 am

canopy wrote: This is good news for those interested in assuring their job is being done to spec. And now english speakers can verify that in Thailand metal straps are used every other row to correct wrong information posted by others

I believe it was you who said they have to be used every row, whereas others have said that was not necessary. Q-Con says 9. Every 2 rows of blocks, Q-CON blocks and column must be bound to structural column with a steel rod (Ø6 mm. x25 cm.) or a metal strap. The steel rod must be hammered into column at
least 5 cm. depth.
Note it says they only need to be nailed to the column, but what about the people who don't have columns?
But it's a handy reference anyway.
Roger Ramjet

Postby canopy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:00 pm

I believe it was you who said they have to be used every row

You "believe" do you? Thanks for the good laugh, I enjoyed it as certainly a lot of people here did as well. You wouldn't by chance have a link to back that false claim up would you? Well what a surprise. I've said this before but I think it is worth saying again: most of us come here to learn and share information, so posting false, baseless information or bickering is not helping an otherwise excellent forum and interesting topic. And many people here are already fully aware of your incorrect information and translations about q-con and other topics which is well documented and this latest gem just highlights you again in not such a good way. Let's try to get back on track shall we? I am glad you find the reference handy. I too think it can make a difference to a lot of people. It also covers wall fixings, counters, and more.

but what about the people who don't have columns?

I visited my amphur and asked the engineers there about building load bearing with q-con. They seemed unusually eager when I asked this question and told me to come back at a later date. When I did they had fully completed research on it and provided many notes and recommended following the Australian Hebel design specification that is available in English and asked to see it when it was done. The answer to your question is found in the Aussie spec. However, I would caution anyone building a load bearing structure to make such a visit to their amphur before embarking. There is one key Thailand specific item to consider which is to select the correct type of block, not just the correct thickness. q-con sells both a standard G2 block and a load bearing G4 block. There is a G2/G4 watermarked on some of the blocks in each pallet to identify the type of block like this:

g2.jpg
g2.jpg (15.71 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Happy building.
canopy

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:51 pm

canopy wrote:
but what about the people who don't have columns?

I visited my amphur and asked the engineers there about building load bearing with q-con. They seemed unusually eager when I asked this question and told me to come back at a later date. When I did they had fully completed research on it and provided many notes and recommended following the Australian Hebel design specification that is available in English and asked to see it when it was done. The answer to your question is found in the Aussie spec. However, I would caution anyone building a load bearing structure to make such a visit to their amphur before embarking. There is one key Thailand specific item to consider which is to select the correct type of block, not just the correct thickness. q-con sells both a standard G2 block and a load bearing G4 block.

When I approached my Tessaban, with a plan to build a house with load-bearing 20cm AAC walls, I expected that I would be in for a lengthy debate; that might not end with a favourable result.
Surprisingly they were keen to listen and understand my reasoning. There was a slight delay but then they gave me their approval.

In my personal experience ... work with them and you get the best chance of them working with you. Every 'shed' [and many 'mom & pop shops] have blocks [albeit only 7.5 CM] in stock these days, showing the general acceptance of the benefits of AAC blocks. Doubt that the load-bearing ability will gain favour anytime soon.

Chok dee

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby claynlr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:49 am

Does anyone have an AAC handbook in Thai? I had one on computer but can't find it and can't find a link with CTH search or Google...Maybe I am using the wrong search wording...
claynlr

Postby cooked » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:22 am

claynlr wrote:Does anyone have an AAC handbook in Thai? I had one on computer but can't find it and can't find a link with CTH search or Google...Maybe I am using the wrong search wording...

I found some stuff on Youtube, can't remember if I looked for Q blocks or AAC blocks. Maybe better for people that throw the instructions away...
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby canopy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:10 am

claynlr wrote:Does anyone have an AAC handbook in Thai?

Building stores usually hand these out for free to anyone who asks. It is also at the bottom of this page:

http://qcon.co.th/en/product/q-con-block/

Also a good idea to show the builder the q-con tips videos. Not all at once which would be boring and one would forget a lot, but just one at a time just before they start each phase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbHcfbG7FRk&list=PLhIPliEOTdj9eB6JZIiruWlhMzF1CGnFr
canopy

Return to cement, concrete and mortar