Udon small build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Udon small build

Postby Paulie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi fellas.
Been looking for some land in udon Thani for a while but prices are crazy. Keep getting offers of 1million for plots 70-100 talang wah which I'm just not prepared to pay.

Another (dreaded) option has been offered from the mother in law and she's offered us the option of building something on her land.
I knew I was always going to end up building something for her anyway but was hoping to get my place done so they could move into our place while we bulldozed the old house and built a new one for her.
Anyway circumstances have changed due to the land issues so we are going ahead with the build on her land first.

Now this one is going to be tricky, the plot is 100 talang wah but we only have the rear part of the plot to build on until the old house comes down.

Here's the plot.
image.jpeg

That structure has been taken down and cleared.
image.jpeg

Now Mrs has got a little ahead of herself and gone and already had it filled. I personally would of preferred to build the retaining walls first but she's gone ahead and payed for the fill with her own cash. She didn't even give me chance to measure the plot first. Anyway what's don is done and I'm just going to have to work around it.

Here the trucks, 22 loads it took at 650b aload
image.jpeg

Fill
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg
Paulie

Re: Udon small build

Postby Paulie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Now here's the house problem

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The existing house is going to make this tricky. Plan is to build the new house, rip down the old, fill the 2nd half of the plot then extend the new house at a later date onto the the other half.

1st thing I'm planning on doing is getting a retaining wall built. Don't know have hard that's going to be now the fill has been put in first but it needs doing as you can see it raised well above the neighbours. Would like to get it done before it floods next door
Paulie

Postby Paulie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:24 pm

What's the experts option on the wall.
Do asap or wait until next year when the fill has settled?
Paulie

Postby Paulie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:16 pm

1st disaster today.
It's been raining heavily in udon all day. As a result of the rain and the fill getting put right up to the rear of the house, the house has started to flood :lol:

Exactly what I was expecting when I first saw the pictures of the fill. Was hoping there would be little rain over the next few months but no luck.
Told the Mrs she needs to get a couple of feet of that fill moved away from the house So the water has somwhere to run down the sides of the house where the drain is.
More worried about next door, hope it hasn't started to flood there too.

Plan now is to get the wall built asap and sort some kind of gully or drain between the back of the house and end of the fill.
Paulie

Postby Bangyai » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Good luck with it Paulie. It's going to be stressful but that's just the way it is with building houses. Be patient with all the dumb problems you run into and you will get there in the end hopefully with your sanity intact.

I sympathise with you on those land prices. Very expensive. Maybe something will come up if you are patient. Might be worth driving around with your lady looking for somewhere you like the look of then get her to go back on her own with a relative and see if the land owner wants to sell for a price nearer on what you are prepared to pay.

Even the plot next to ours which is 100 dtarangwa was priced at 400,000 baht in Wichien Buri Petchabun. Luckily we persuaded the wifes sister to do a land swop so we got it for the mother in law and built her a cheap cottage next door for 150,000.

Anyways .....good luck with it
Bangyai

Postby Paulie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Cheers for the repiles.

Ok been almost a year and a few things have changed.
House now is just going to be for the mrs and the family. I decided to wait until i found a nice piece of land as this plot is just too small. Theres some plots directly opposite that the bank apparently own so im trying to find out how to go about buying one.
For now the original build will be going ahead but it will been a simple thai build. The old house is falling to pieces and water has been running off the fill at the rear and flooding part of the house

Plan is to build at the rear of the house then knock the old one down and leval up the front of the plot.
At the moment i dont have eaxct measurements of the plot but its roughly 8m x 12m of usable land. Will have exact measurements in a few weeks
Right now im planning the layout. House has to be 3 beds so it will be tight but after looking at gov plan 8 i think with a little redesign this will be a good layout.
As i said its going to be built for thai standard of living but that means basic not cheaply and cutting corners. For example the roof will be probably colorbond, kitchen basic thai style concrete counters, bathroom simple wetroom shower toilet and sink.

Im looking (hoping) to get a shell with roof walls and floor done for about 400k all in (labor & materials.)
Paulie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Paulie wrote:Theres some plots directly opposite that the bank apparently own so im trying to find out how to go about buying one.

There are two ways to do this, if the bank has taken them back they should have a notice saying which bank has taken them back, the lot number and a contact phone number.
The other way is to go to any bank's head office and there they will have pages and pages of repossessed land and houses. You can make an offer at any time, or wait until the bank has an auction and gamble a bit. If you are going to wait for the auction, normally every 3 - 6 months then you must register, get a number and get your upper bid limit (which can be done on the day of the auction) and look at the bank's expected minimum they want for the land or house and hope you don't get outbid.
The bank will have a price up on repossessed houses but ignore it. You can put a bid in for whatever you think is a fair price. It may take a few months for the bank to come around to your way of thinking, but sometimes you can pick-up a real bargain and the banks might hate losing the interest money so much they come to an agreement with your offer, it depends on how much is owed on the house.
When we went to Siam Commercial Bank head office auctions they based everything on what my wife's salary was when they gave us the line of credit for bidding, all she had to do was supply her salary slip and a letter from her work.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Paulie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks
The land i was refering too is just empty plots. Aparently it is owned by the bank, not sure if it was owned by someone else previously as a road and poles for power have been put in down the centre of the plots.

Ill get the mrs to find out although im not expecting it to be cheap, everything in bann nong yai seems to start a 1 million. The ring road has done no favours for land prices neither has the fact that this area south of the airport is the last undeveloped area inside the ring road.
Prices are only going to go up
Paulie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Paulie wrote:The land i was refering too is just empty plots. Aparently it is owned by the bank, not sure if it was owned by someone else previously as a road and poles for power have been put in down the centre of the plots.

If you want to investigate further, talk to the local chief, he'll/she'll know which bank owns what, then when you get the lot numbers you can go to the land department and find out what they value that plot at. It's half a day of running around but you might find out the land will be cheaper than you thought.
The land here has gone to the ridiculous price of $2 million for 100 square wah (I think that's right), but the size of our plot was just over 100 sq wah and cost 1.1 million and is now worth 2 in just 5 years so it's worth doing your homework before you buy. And with all the flooding it's worth even more. Make sure the land hasn't been designated Monkey Cheek land, otherwise you could be in all sorts of trouble, but I think the WHO might have something to say soon about that idea as infections are spreading fast and furiously and the health department has been told to clean-up their act........but they won't and then they'll wonder why they get visited by the EU and US and put on lists. Sigh.
You would think they would learn, but the same disaster year after year does not deter them in the least.
Again, good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 am

It's not very likely to be "Monkey Cheek land" as being over 500km from Bangkok it can't be a part of that project.
AFIK that project is to reduce or prevent floods in Bangkok.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:It's not very likely to be "Monkey Cheek land" as being over 500km from Bangkok it can't be a part of that project.
AFIK that project is to reduce or prevent floods in Bangkok.

I could post a very factual account of what the junta is doing at the moment as far as the flawed Monkey Cheek programme is doing, which is as far away as Khon Khan, however as it is a restricted web site (by order of the junta) I'll refrain. The RID is under strict orders not to allow Bangkok to be flooded over the next 5 days, therefore they have opened up areas not designated previously as Monkey Cheek areas.
Both Pratchatai and other papers, including the BP have run articles about exactly that: <removed link as of 10/25/17 as it is against terms of use, Dozer> (second story down) with references to Pratchatai, BP and other sources listed at the side bar and the BP has all the provinces that will be affected, including Nontharburi. We even had a letter in our mailbox warning that flooding may occur and be prepared to evacuate to higher ground. As I've been through it before I know the signs and as the rice paddies are under about a foot of water already, things are not at all rosy. I shall check when I drive my wife to the bus at 0500 hrs in the morning.
I have no idea how they are going to divert the water coming down at an increased rate from the dams that are overflowing but a photo is worth a thousand words: https://www.bangkokpost.com/photo/photo ... of-bangkok
Roger Ramjet

Return to Your Building Story