beach sand in the filter

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

beach sand in the filter

Postby phil_ne_uk » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:06 pm

I asked a well know pool builder in Pattaya the cost for replacing the sand in the filter. I asked the price for silica sand but was told they don’t have it and the sand is from the beach!

Is beach sand really acceptable?
phil_ne_uk

Re: beach sand in the filter

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:26 pm

phil_ne_uk wrote:I asked a well know pool builder in Pattaya the cost for replacing the sand in the filter. I asked the price for silica sand but was told they don’t have it and the sand is from the beach!

Is beach sand really acceptable?

It would depend on if has been graded and washed, it might well be OK. There are several reasons for using silica sand including the fact that it is the most common sand that can be mined and that many countries forbid taking beach sand.

But TIT. :wink:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby phil_ne_uk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks for the information
phil_ne_uk

Postby Ians » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Beach sand is not the best filter media, it is normally too rounded. A good filter material should be sharp to create pores to capture the impurities you are trying to filter out. Attached is some data you might like to read.
http://www.clean-water-for-laymen.com/s ... media.html
Ians

Postby phil_ne_uk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Thank you for the link
phil_ne_uk

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 pm

My experience with sand filters:
I think the beach sand is the same as river sand which is generally used in Thailand (also elsewhere). In the small size the sand can hardly be crushed.
I do not how in Pattaya, but upcountry there are companies selling washed sand for filters selected by size, sometimes indicated by Nos. 1,2,3,4.
1 Bag ca. 60 -80 Baht.
I use for my pool filter bought in GH for 7,500 Baht (empty) 3 sizes of such sand, filled in from bottom No. 3, 2, 1, where the No. 1 is dia. ca 0.7 mm. On top to leave some 20 cm free space.
Similar filling for gravitation filters I am using for my raw water (strongly ironized) treatment, described in my older thread, section water.
Klondyke

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:52 am

Beach sand contains a lot of fragments of shells and coral which are calcium carbonate and can adversely affect the water chemistry and pH. What a lot of people forget, and indeed alot of pool 'professionals' don't know is that sand in sand filters should be changed every 3 or 4 years. Some other filter media such as crushed recycled glass (not much better than sand for filtration), or zeolites (Zelbrite) are better than sand, and last a lot longer. Glass fragments are more angular, whileZelbrite, if looked after, can last for 10 to 12 years and has 30 times better filtration properties than traditional sand. It's obviously more expensive than sand, but I've had it in my own pool now for 9 years without any problems.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to swimming pool