Building in Bang Khla

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Bang Khla

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:14 am

We normally grow fish in the biggest pond and shrimp in the other two.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:29 am

Preparing for site grading. We are soliciting bids for tree removal and site grading. There are five trees (including roots) that have to come out and the site has to be graded to +0.20 meters above the roadway. I am not sure how many hours of labor it will take but I’m hoping that the price per hour is around 900 THB.
Ordering of Piles. I’m sure the correct procedure is to pay to have a soil survey conducted which will determine the length of piles you need. A cheap alternative is to ask the land office what is the “normal” depth for your area which is a less than technical answer but possibly an acceptable risk.
The local pile manufacturer sent a representative out to look at the route and provide advice on size and length of piles to use. He indicated that 10, 12 or 14 meter lengths would work (“it’s really up to you”). The company representative said that if it is not enough, the installer would connect another pile to the existing one and pound it in until it reaches the correct load bearing depth. When asked if we can use the left over portion of the pile on the next hole he said no. If this is true, I could end up with several meters of unusable pile.

My question is, why can’t the left over pile be used? Does anyone have experience/knowledge of how this process?
Alan
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:40 am

Most likely because the insertion process will stress the piles so making the quality an unknown, also the piles are not expensive
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 am

Alan wrote:The local pile manufacturer sent a representative out to look at the route and provide advice on size and length of piles to use. He indicated that 10, 12 or 14 meter lengths would work (“it’s really up to you”). The company representative said that if it is not enough, the installer would connect another pile to the existing one and pound it in until it reaches the correct load bearing depth. When asked if we can use the left over portion of the pile on the next hole he said no. If this is true, I could end up with several meters of unusable pile.

Be careful, the Or Bor Tor engineer will show you a seismic map of the area, or should be able to. Strange as it may seem the Thai government actually spent millions of dollars having the whole of Thailand mapped at one stage. They can tell you the exact depth that piles should be driven in anyone area to the depth that will support your structure. The piles work on friction caused by the load (weight) of the house on top over any given area. It is not good form to drive one pile on top of another as the stresses will be different. The Or Bor Tor engineer should be able to calculate the size of the piles you need in a matter of minutes.
If the pile starts to splinter at the top then it means it has hit either rock or has reached solid ground.
I used bore piles and the depths varied considerably over 30 metres from 16 metres right out to over 30 metres in some parts. The bore pile company should have a small machine (like sonar) that they test each pile with. They sit the receiver on top and tap the pile, which sends back a positive or negative reading. In my case it was rather more sophisticated as they actually gave the load bearing capacity for each pile.
Do not be taken in by the "she'll be right mate" attitude of the pile company, check with the Or Bor Tor engineer.
Here's what they should have: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=300
Roger Ramjet

Postby claudio » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 am

HI GUYS does anyone know someone able to build a kitchen or suggest me the right forum please?
claudio

Postby pipoz » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:48 am

claudio wrote:HI GUYS does anyone know someone able to build a kitchen or suggest me the right forum please?

Suggest you go to BOONTHAVORN. http://www.boonthavorn.com

I actually posted under General, Kitchens back in November 2012, with some pictures (like the ones below) and cost. I know its a long time ago, but Boonthavorn have the best quality and displays that I have seen so far, when it comes to kicthens and they can arrange to have someone install them for you

PS Sorry Alan, I am not tryingto hijack your Build post

pipoz
Attachments
Boonthavorn Display Kitchens  (3).jpg
Boonthavorn Display Kitchens (3)
Boonthavorn Display Kitchens  (2).jpg
Boonthavorn Display Kitchens (2)
Boonthavorn Display Kitchens  (1).jpg
Boonthavorn Display Kitchens (1)
pipoz

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:05 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Most likely because the insertion process will stress the piles so making the quality an unknown, also the piles are not expensive

Square driven piles would normally have a pointed pyramid nose as the driving point downwards. Its the absolute strongest point of the pile but an Engineer should design for a pile to reach a reasonable bearing depth and add on a couple of metres to be sure, the extra is nibbled off and the exposed rebar tied into the pile cap.
If the pile is only a bit short from ground level; say 1m then the form would be to make a bigger pile cap to accommodate the lower pile head.

With the bored piles,its much easier to get it right as the concrete will go down the same as the drill and extending above ground simply means adding an extra rebar cage and shutters. Often combined with a steel casing bored piles are typically used for higher than average loads.....or if your plot was like a beach.

The cheapest charlie method, not sure they still use this, called the Frankie pile. its just an augered drill hole, a rebar cage dropped in and filled with concrete. The concrete at the bottom spreads out like an elephants foot working on both friction and load bearing.

my advice would be to double check on your bearing depth and order piles accordingly....I agree with Roger dont accept the "it'll be reet lad" (assuming he is from Yorkshire)
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:07 am

eyecatcher wrote:
The cheapest charlie method, not sure they still use this, called the Frankie pile. its just an augered drill hole, a rebar cage dropped in and filled with concrete. The concrete at the bottom spreads out like an elephants foot working on both friction and load bearing.

I doubt that it is the cheapest method, and it is certainly still in use in Japan and almost certainly for every big building that needs piles. One of the universities where I work put in a new 9 story earthquake resistant building using that system, no other one could have worked as each pile used in excess of 100m3 of concrete and was over 2 metres in diameter

image.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:19 am

10/19/2016 After meeting with the pile driving supervisor, we ordered 12m piles. The pile company said it would be at least 10 days before the piles would be cured so that puts our install schedule into the first week of November for a start time. This is fine because we still have to finish grading the site.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:36 am

10/27/2016 Small Update:
Our Son-in-law (who is the project manager) called to say that the pile company had produced about 30 piles but that they were cut horizontally at the bottom (no point at the end). The pile installer did not seem too be so I don’t know if he will cut a point on them at the site or use them the way they are. The pile company also said that we could install the piles after curing for 10 days or so but after asking around, everyone said that they need to cure for 20 some days. I know concrete normally takes 28 days to fully cure. That is the time used for strength testing according to several standards.

We are trying to pick out our kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures to make sure the builder has the product on hand to fit/size correctly. Having something in your hands helps to eliminate unwanted mistakes and misfitings with the contractors. Without being in Thailand internet searches are my only option and it is hard to find the exact manufacturer, size and color of appliance that we want. I have no personal experience with LG brand products but they are becoming very popular in the USA. After conducting several online searches, it seems that they only offer stainless steel finish which the wife does not like. So we continue to shop.
Alan
Alan

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:18 am

Alan wrote:10/27/2016 Small Update:
Our Son-in-law (who is the project manager) called to say that the pile company had produced about 30 piles but that they were cut horizontally at the bottom (no point at the end). The pile installer did not seem too be so I don’t know if he will cut a point on them at the site or use them the way they are. The pile company also said that we could install the piles after curing for 10 days or so but after asking around, everyone said that they need to cure for 20 some days. I know concrete normally takes 28 days to fully cure. That is the time used for strength testing according to several standards.

We are trying to pick out our kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures to make sure the builder has the product on hand to fit/size correctly. Having something in your hands helps to eliminate unwanted mistakes and misfitings with the contractors. Without being in Thailand internet searches are my only option and it is hard to find the exact manufacturer, size and color of appliance that we want. I have no personal experience with LG brand products but they are becoming very popular in the USA. After conducting several online searches, it seems that they only offer stainless steel finish which the wife does not like. So we continue to shop.

If you want to be safe it is not a bad idea to get the piles delivered early (as in now) then you can be sure that they are aged enough, you can also get points put on them now as it will be easier sooner than later.

And yes you will have to pay for them now as well.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:15 am

11/2/16. About two more weeks until piles are fully cured. Tree removal continues. Elevation and house footprint will be marked tomorrow. Grading the area will be done after that then all footer locations will be marked. Contractor has finished the touch up of the other house they were working on so he will probably start moving materials and equipment to the site.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:25 am

11/4/2016. Elevation and house footprint has been marked and Grading is started. Bull dozer work price is 800thb per hour. Came up short on elevation so we have to buy about 10 trucks of dirt. Unofficial quotes at 850 per truckload. Contractor wants to raise walls from 3.00m to 3.75m. This will add to the cost of the walls but we will be able to see more of the windows. We still need to get prices for windows and doors. We want windows with a half-moon or rounded top on them. I’m sure they will have to be custom made. We talked to the contractor about installing vaulted ceilings in kitchen and living room. Hopefully it will not cost much more than a standard ceiling. Contractor will be using CPAC for most everything up to the wall columns.
Attachments
West_Side.jpg
Left Side of Property - where the garage will be
Grading_East.jpg
Right side of Property
Small_Excavator.jpg
Very Small Excavator doing some light grading
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:09 am

Had to add another 10 truckloads of dirt to reach the elevation needed. Pile locations are marked. Piles are almost twenty days old. Expect delivery sometime this week. Also, the contractor is anxious to start. He wants to move framing material to the site to pre-fabricate some of the forms he will need.
Alan
Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:12 am

11/6/2016. 8 of the 44 piles are cured. The eight that are cured will be installed in the next couple of days. First footer blessing is set for Thursday. Piles and rebar will be delivered tomorrow. The rest of the piles will be installed when they are cured so we have to pay another 8,000thb for an additional return and setup.
Pictures of pile locations.
Attachments
16.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
2.jpg
Using a Plumb Bob to center pile location
Alan
Alan

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story