House near Rattanaburi, surin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby tertim » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:28 am

Hi,

What spacing have you got your Rafters at

pipoz[/quote]

Hi pipoz

Most of the rafters are spaced at 2M and then a few at 1.5M, I could have gone for a more conventional 1M rafter spacing and used the smaller purpose built battens available in the stores, my roof design is more akin to an industrial roof than a house. One of the reasons I built the carport first was to test my roof design for the main house, particularly the rafter spacing and the batten size which I am pleased to report produced a light weight strong and stiff structure.

pop kan mai
tertim

Postby pipoz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:08 pm

tertim wrote:Hi,

What spacing have you got your Rafters at

pipoz

Hi pipoz

Most of the rafters are spaced at 2M and then a few at 1.5M, I could have gone for a more conventional 1M rafter spacing and used the smaller purpose built battens available in the stores, my roof design is more akin to an industrial roof than a house. One of the reasons I built the carport first was to test my roof design for the main house, particularly the rafter spacing and the batten size which I am pleased to report produced a light weight strong and stiff structure.

pop kan mai[/quote]

I did something similar and over designed my roof frame. Used some similar sized sections to you. A little extra material cost for peace of mind

Fixed my roof frame to a sturdy 2 Double) x(150 x 50 x 2.3 mm) rectangular frame, welded to the column base plates

Then used 2 (Double) 150 x 50 x 2.3 mm sections for my Hip Rafters and Ridge Beam Rafter.

Used 100 x 50 x 2.3 mm sections for my Rafters-Trusses in the main mid roof part, spaced them at 1150 mm apart

Used 38 x 38 x 1.8 mm sections for the roof battens
Attachments
West Garage Roof Steel - Main Hip Steel to Base Plate Connection  (2A).jpg
West Garage Roof Steel - Main Hip Steel to Base Plate Connection (2A)
pipoz

Postby tertim » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Just a quick update to our progress so far. I was up on the roof today helping samran fix the rafters in place yam(wife) would normally be helping but she absolutely refused to take more than one step up the ladder so I had to relinquish my supervisory role and get my hands dirty. I'm very pleased I did because I was able to inspect the steel joints at very close quarters instead of relying on Samran for information or long distant viewing.
Since I joined CTH like many others I have trawled through other members builds for information on the Thai way of building and quite frankly I was shocked by some of the pictures posted showing the complete lack of workmanship.
Some of the members who want to build a house but have limited or no knowledge of building will do well to read as many build stories as possible to get some idea of what goes on here.
I have posted this picture to show what a properly cut steel joint should look like prior to welding, under no circumstances allow the builders to burn steel with arc welding rods, insist on machine cut joints.

IMG_20161013_143458.jpg
Ridge rafter apex joint prior to welding
tertim

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:07 am

tertim wrote:Just a quick update to our progress so far. I was up on the roof today helping samran fix the rafters in place yam(wife) would normally be helping but she absolutely refused to take more than one step up the ladder so I had to relinquish my supervisory role and get my hands dirty. I'm very pleased I did because I was able to inspect the steel joints at very close quarters instead of relying on Samran for information or long distant viewing.
Since I joined CTH like many others I have trawled through other members builds for information on the Thai way of building and quite frankly I was shocked by some of the pictures posted showing the complete lack of workmanship.
Some of the members who want to build a house but have limited or no knowledge of building will do well to read as many build stories as possible to get some idea of what goes on here.
I have posted this picture to show what a properly cut steel joint should look like prior to welding, under no circumstances allow the builders to burn steel with arc welding rods, insist on machine cut joints.

There's a possible problem with that joint, unless the box section is very thin it should have been chamfered after cutting. A perfectly square cut like that is usually not good welding practice.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby tertim » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
tertim wrote:Just a quick update to our progress so far. I was up on the roof today helping samran fix the rafters in place yam(wife) would normally be helping but she absolutely refused to take more than one step up the ladder so I had to relinquish my supervisory role and get my hands dirty. I'm very pleased I did because I was able to inspect the steel joints at very close quarters instead of relying on Samran for information or long distant viewing.

There's a possible problem with that joint, unless the box section is very thin it should have been chamfered after cutting. A perfectly square cut like that is usually not good welding practice.

Hi SW
The box section rafters are 2mm thick so trying to bevel the edge would not be advisable, l fully agree that thicker plate would definitely need to be beveled prior to welding.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby paulthai » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:27 pm

hallo,
I am paul from belgium
I am looking also to build a house 2 bed 2 bathrooms in pakaat ,buengkan
my idea is like your house
could you give me some advice ,prices,etc... so I have an idea for the total cost.
<Personal contact details removed. Please post responses on this thread - mod>
thanks paul
paulthai

Postby tertim » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 am

paulthai wrote:hallo,
I am paul from belgium
I am looking also to build a house 2 bed 2 bathrooms in pakaat ,buengkan
my idea is like your house
could you give me some advice ,prices,etc... so I have an idea for the total cost.
<Personal contact details removed. Please post responses on this thread - mod>
thanks paul

Hi paulthai

The house is a basic thai style design which you will see throughout most of the villages of Isaan I set the columns on a 4M grid to give me the maximum amount of economical living area.
I wanted to build a house that was easy to construct to keep down costs, so my own brief was to keep it simple (KISS) and straightforward. My initial estimates for building where about B500,000 for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house (90M2) using precast columns to cut costs, I was never entirely happy using them as the column/ground beam juncture was always going to be problematic also the quality of the precast columns. I eventually ditched the precast columns and went with in situ poured 20cm columns, also the house was increased in size to 120M2+32M2 for thai kitchen and a carport 60M2. The thai kitchen has now been upgraded to the same spec as the house, before it was just a tin roof stuck on the end of the house.
My total spend to date is B650,000 which includes Gates,fences and B50,000 on tools etc my revised estimate is now B900,000

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby tertim » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 am

IMG_20161018_154914.jpg
Fixing SCG cladding.
tertim

Postby tertim » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:18 pm

May be of interest to those considering overhead power cable entry to the house, the shera will be drilled and rubber grommets fitted to prevent chaffing.
IMG_20161020_084120.jpg
Anchor point for incoming electric cable
tertim

Postby tertim » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Well I suppose it had to happen after after an almost faultless display of accurate good workmanship on the roof steel, shera and tiles we now come to the blockwork,door frames, windows etc what a difference!!! The first door frame the builders erected took them 2 hours of levelling, measurements etc and after inquiring if it was all 100% I concluded that it was not necessary for me to check myself as they had spent such a lot of time on it and i didn't want to diminish the builders status by intervening. However I kept on being drawn back to the door frame particularly the head so when the builders had departed for the day i took out a level and square and sure enough the door head was almost 10mm out of level!!!!!
So next next day down came the block work they had laid and the frame leveled correctly, now I check every frame and window before I allow them to lay blocks.

IMG_20161025_095541.jpg
Rebar to provide lateral stability
IMG_20161025_095654.jpg
Blockwork going up using small trowels and hands to assist.
IMG_20161025_095929.jpg
tertim

Postby tertim » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Made good progress this week blockwork completed, bit rough and ready but near enough, as paddy would say, keeping a careful eye on things and have now got the builder accustomed to consulting with me (via Yam) as to every new stage of construction and and giving me advanced warning for materials to be on hand.

[/attachment]
IMG_20161025_095541.jpg
Reinforcing for the walls
IMG_20161029_123026.jpg
Blockwork almost completed.
IMG_20161101_073508.jpg
Main Entrance
IMG_20161104_163809.jpg
Started electric wiring.
[/attachment]
IMG_20161104_163704.jpg
Thai kitchen no ceiling full height to roof
Attachments
IMG_20161101_093153.jpg
IMG_20161104_163633.jpg
Thai kitchen (farm house kitchen)
tertim

Postby tertim » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:49 pm

In just one week the kitchen is nearing closure (Roof on and blockwork up) next stop rendering. Frenetic pace for me but enjoying the build looks like we are on target to move in around 1st January or hopefully before the 10th to celebrate my birthday!!!

IMG_20161108_170726.jpg
Kitchen to rear of house
IMG_20161108_170134.jpg
View from other side.

View from other side
IMG_20161108_164150.jpg
Internal view of kitchen
IMG_20161108_164237.jpg
Opposing view
IMG_20161108_170311.jpg
IMG_20161108_170846.jpg
Ready for render in 2 days.
tertim

Postby tertim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:04 pm

All ready for builder to start rendering so now we can get on with some more interesting jobs solar water heating and wood burning stove.
IMG_20161109_133519.jpg
Solar water heater
tertim

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 am

tertim wrote:All ready for builder to start rendering so now we can get on with some more interesting jobs solar water heating and wood burning stove.
IMG_20161109_133519.jpg

I'd you get the idea from Debesh Directs YouTube channel?

I'm going to be putting one of those on the roof of my paint shop
Sometimewoodworker

Postby tertim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:29 am

I'd you get the idea from Debesh Directs YouTube channel?

I'm going to be putting one of those on the roof of my paint shop[/quote]

Hi SW thank you for your input I'd been looking at solar heating products but was put off by the cost until I saw the DIY solar collector on youtube some guys in Nepal had made. My first attempt was a little too large but I will try it out anyway and if all OK will make a more condensed version later.

Pop kan mai
tertim

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story