acoustic ventilation

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

acoustic ventilation

Postby spg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:47 am

Anyone used acoustic vents?

http://www.titon.co.uk/pages/ventilatio ... rliner.php

http://www.greenwood.co.uk/range/15/acoustic-vents.html?

I have AAC cavity walls with a 10cm cavity, and I'm wondering about these if they are useful for keeping the cavity 'fresh' or if it's not important. Also whether they aid in cooling a building that is otherwise has no AC and is designed for low noise penetration from outside.
spg

Re: acoustic ventilation

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:56 pm

I too have cavity AAC walls. The noise comes from the windows and doors (glass) and nowhere else.
Roger Ramjet

Postby spg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:43 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I too have cavity AAC walls. The noise comes from the windows and doors (glass) and nowhere else.

right, my point was whether these particular vent bricks are useful for ventilation/passive cooling, in the tropics.
spg

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Ventilated cavity? 10cm ? Acoustic vent having thermal properties?
I think you have a confused goal. For a start, a 10cm open cavity means you are only using one skin as a thermal and acoustic barrier. The outside skin is just acting as shade. The vent assumes a sealed cavity. It has no thermal properties per say.
An open cavity with aac blocks is so totally wrong application and missunderstanding of their properties. They are not cement or red bricks. They have different properties that we need to embrace. rather than as substitutes for normal bricks.
Sure they work ok as substitutes, but that is under utilising their unique properties.
Andyfteeze

Return to cooling systems