Tiling cost

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Tiling cost

Postby AJBangkok » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:10 am

Hi All,

Could I ask for some feed back on tiling Costs I've been quoted.

Location is cha am and Total size is 600sqm and I am using 80x80 tiles

250 Per SQM for laying tiles + 150 per SQM materials ( sand and cement)
150 per SQM for removing old tiles

I was thinking that 300 per SQM total for laying + sand and cement should be a reasonable price. As for removing the tiles I would think 150 per SQM as its just labor and disposal may be a little steep

Thanks
AJBangkok

Re: Tiling cost

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm

AJBangkok wrote:Hi All,

Could I ask for some feed back on tiling Costs I've been quoted.

Location is cha am and Total size is 600sqm and I am using 80x80 tiles

250 Per SQM for laying tiles + 150 per SQM materials ( sand and cement)
150 per SQM for removing old tiles

I was thinking that 300 per SQM total for laying + sand and cement should be a reasonable price. As for removing the tiles I would think 150 per SQM as its just labor and disposal may be a little steep

Thanks

Are you talking about 80mm X 80mm or 800mm X 800mm?

If it's the smaller tile then 250 sqm could be a bit high but correct, but 150 sqm seem too high for sand and cement.

If it's the larger size get at least 1 more quote.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby AJBangkok » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Sorry yes my mistake it's 80cm X 80cm or 800mm by 800mm
AJBangkok

Postby canopy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:14 am

Short answer:

installation labor: overcharged 10:1. par value 25 baht/sqm.
materials labor: overcharged 15:1. par value 10 baht/sqm
removal labor: overcharged 30:1. par value 10 baht/sqm.

Long answer:

In Thailand anytime you are paying more than 300 baht a day per head for labor it needs justification. For install, you would be paying a team of 4 people 3000 baht each if they can do 50sqm in a day. That's 10x more than normal here. The tile removal price is robbery for a job that requires no skill and goes rapidly; so you are paying more like 10,000 a head for that. And if it's less than 4 people working it's going to make these numbers look a whole lot worse.

The materials cost is shameful. 1 square meter of cement and sand costs 10 baht and they are cheeky enough to charge 150 for this??? I would demand they use thinset, not sand and cement. And if it is outdoors I would assure it is outdoor rated thinset.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:44 am

canopy wrote:Short answer:

installation labor: overcharged 10:1. par value 25 baht/sqm.
materials labor: overcharged 15:1. par value 10 baht/sqm
removal labor: overcharged 30:1. par value 10 baht/sqm.

Long answer:

In Thailand anytime you are paying more than 300 baht a day per head for labor it needs justification. For install, you would be paying a team of 4 people 3000 baht each if they can do 50sqm in a day. That's 10x more than normal here. The tile removal price is robbery for a job that requires no skill and goes rapidly; so you are paying more like 10,000 a head for that. And if it's less than 4 people working it's going to make these numbers look a whole lot worse.

The materials cost is shameful. 1 square meter of cement and sand costs 10 baht and they are cheeky enough to charge 150 for this??? I would demand they use thinset, not sand and cement. And if it is outdoors I would assure it is outdoor rated thinset.

Over charge: yes. By the amounts you give: no
Your prices are out of date.
Outdoor Thinset is running at 60 baht sqm and up.

Even here in Issan 300 per day is average for good workers, the leader of the group will be getting a lot more 500 is not unusual.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:45 am

It's not like the prices are 5, 10 or 50% high. They are around 1000% above for both labor AND materials. Sure the lead guy could get more, but at the same time there might not be even 4 workers--2 grunts at 300 and 1 foreman at 600 comes out exactly the same as my numbers. Anyway you slice it, I don't see sound justification for the asking price of either labor or materials.
canopy

Postby canopy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 am

By the way sometimewoodworker, all the prices I listed are a bit conservative. For instance, they assume the job will take about 2 weeks of work when in fact I bet it'll go much quicker. You are welcome to study any of the prices I mention to verify what I am saying is 100% relevant and up to date. You seem a little confused as the OP said they are not using thinset--that was my recommendation.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:14 pm

canopy wrote:It's not like the prices are 5, 10 or 50% high. They are around 1000% above for both labor AND materials. Sure the lead guy could get more, but at the same time there might not be even 4 workers--2 grunts at 300 and 1 foreman at 600 comes out exactly the same as my numbers. Anyway you slice it, I don't see sound justification for the asking price of either labor or materials.

I'm not at all confused as I was addressing your suggestion.

I agree that the prices AJBangkock has been quoted are way too high. But yours are ridiculously low. If you have a Thai family that will do you favours, you might possibly get down to to them on the labour costs.

On sand and cement with the standard thicknesses used by Thai tillers probably the cement content alone is likely to be triple you estimated 10 ฿ Sqm.

To get down to 10 ฿ Sqm they would have to get more than 15 Sqm per bag of cement and you are more likely to find they get less than 5 Sqm per bag at the thickness that is common here.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 am

The poor guy is being asked to pay a third of a million baht to install his tiles--and it doesn't even include the cost of the new tiles. My prices are not necessarily low. Here is an idea for a demonstration. Tell the people in the village you will pay 90000 baht for anyone to come out and remove the old tiles--that's what they are charging for this. Then watch the stampede as the OP gets flattened as every man wom and and child races for his house. But seriously to the OP: if you do nothing else, at least get a couple reputable builders in your area to come out and give a quote on taking the old tiles out. They'd probably also like to talk to you about installing new ones too.
canopy

Postby AJBangkok » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:03 pm

I appreciate everyone's input, it is extremely helpful. I intend to get more quotes before proceeding as other people I have spoken to who have had work done are quoting prices all in between 250 and 350 per square meter which are for jobs a lot smaller than mine. ( approx 800 SQM )

Just out of interest I asked Cotto who are selling me the tiles how much installation would cost and they quoted 770 per SQM plus vat and not including the price of their gold adhesive which was also a crazy price.
AJBangkok

Return to material prices & building costs