Finishing an unfinished pool

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Finishing an unfinished pool

Postby AJBangkok » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:47 am

Hi All,

I have just bought a house which is 70% complete ( construction was halted a few years ago) and would like to find out what I need to arrange to get the pool finished. Basically it's just a concrete structure . There is no plumbing, no anything except concrete. Unfortunately there are no plans,and and the company who built it went out of business. I know on one side there was supposed to be a spa and on the opposite side there are supposed to be steps. I'm not sure how much it would cost to complete but I figure the standard pool equipment ( pumps, filter, clorinator etc) would be around 200k + and I would like to put in Beadcrete instead of tiles so that will be another 250k + but that's all I know. I have no idea about costs for labor, plumbing rendering or anything else I would need to get done. I'm based in Hua Hin and a bit wary of going direct to a local pool builder without some understanding of what needs to be done as I've not heard too many complimentary remarks about local vendors
image.jpeg
Pool

image.jpeg
Overflow
AJBangkok

Re: Finishing an unfinished pool

Postby schuimpge » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:29 am

Since you don't have plans and it was left as is a couple of years as you mentioned, I would be worried about using anything on the filters that was already done.
Instead, my first thought is to close all openings/outlets, then finish the pool as you said with beadcrete and then use a 'hang-in' filter-unit (or 2) like Kiwi-Martin has done: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4683

Looks like it was supposed to have an overflow at the far end. To still use that part, either make it a planter or maybe use it as a fish-pond..
Not a pool expert, but don't think many pool builders would be happy finishing a project like that as it's far too high a risk of things going wrong and they'd be having lots of problems with repairs/warranty, etc.

Good luck
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:49 am

Check page 22 on KiwiMartin's build for all details and pictures of his pool-filter.
Pretty sure it would save you a lot of headaches.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby AJBangkok » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks Guys. It looks cool but I will need spa pumps and blowers and whatever so I'd prefer to go the traditional way with all the equipment. Even though it would probably do the job I'm not sure it would look good and I'd also be afraid of the kids playing with it.
AJBangkok

Postby brianks » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:51 pm

I lived in Hua Hin for several years and found that Chris Green of Platnum Pools to be an honest individual. Can see that you sure have an interesting situation. If you do get a conventional pool pump look at the Pentair Intelliflow varriable speed pump. Expensive but pays for its self in two years with very low power usage. I have one and it is quiet and very low power usage. About 1/3 - 1/2 of conventional pump.

If you don't want tiles the look at Pebble Tec which I have because it is not slippery and looks great with colored stones mixed in the plaster. Mine is white with colored stones mixed in. Also white keeps the pool temperature down. Mine is 1.5 degrees (C) less that a neighbors blue tile pool. When the sun is blasting all day that can mean the difference between a warm pool and a hot tub.

Looks like you is going to have a lot of fun sorting it all out.
brianks

Postby AJBangkok » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Thx Brianks

I will ask him to quote. I have read good things about variable speed pumps and one is definitely on my shopping list. Is pebble tec the same company as Beadcrete? My neighbour in Phuket has Beadcrete in his pool and it really looks amazing when the sun hits it. I think instead of 100% pebbles they mix in glass beads of various colors which has a very nice bling effect when the light catches it.

I'm sure that I'm not reinventing the wheel by trying to get a pool contractor to finish this thing but I think the problem I might have is that a lot of the pool build profit may have been taken already so they will either rip my eyes out on what's left to be done or try to charge an arm or a leg for the equipment and installation. The other issue is that the people that supply Beadcrete don't subcontract out so anyone I hire to finish the pool wouldn't get the normal profit on the tile cost and installation.

There seems to be a plethora of swimming pool companies in Hua Hin but I'm not sure that in this economy there is the business to support them. I'm sure that any vendor will be looking to maximize the profit from any one who walks in the door. I have to finish the pool and i'm not going to nickel and dime a vendor, so I'm not reall concerned about paying a bit Over the odds if I have to, but I have absolutely no clue on the scope of work required so I need to arm myself with a little knowledge to ensure I'm not well and truly hosed in the process.
AJBangkok

Postby brianks » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:09 am

Pebble Tec is NOT the same company as Beadcrete. From what I can see online on Beadcrete it does appear to be quite similar. Pebble Tec used colored stones and not glass stones that Beadcrete says they use. Go to the website for PebbleTec Thailand and they have a good video of the process and finished results. My pool is the exact same white color with blue/green stones as on Pebble Tec site. Lots of other colors available too BUT just keep in mind that the darker the color the warmer you water will be when the hot season comes. I wanted the PebbleTec surface because I hated the slipping and sliding on my previous two tiled pools. No problem walking around my pool now.

Yes there are a lot of pool companies in Hua Hin but there are also a lot of pools there too with every new development having a pool with every "villa". At least you have choices unlike where I live where there are only a hand full of houses with pools and all resources are well out of town from here.

Personally after what I went through with my building contractor building my pool (had never built one before) I wouldn't worry about being ripped off. What I would concentrate on is one who I think can do the job properly and give me a good result. Don't try to cheap it out as you have a real mess there that will require some blasting out of previous concrete to bring back the structural integrity of the pool you want. 1-17-14 011.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
1-18-14-B 005.jpg
This is what my Pebble Tec looks like
Pool Path 002.jpg
Completed pool
brianks

Postby AJBangkok » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:48 am

Here are a couple of updates

The pool was rendered with a concrete mix based on TPI 400 cement as the beadcrete people recommended this.

The overflow tank has been tiled with 10x10 glass tiles

The beadcrete was applied over the past 2 weeks which consisted of a grey base mixture first then the product rendered over it. It then cleaned with some chemical and the pool filled to protect the beadcrete.

The pumps, filter and clorinator have been installed and are working but the water is filthy but will clean up over the next week so the color in pics is not the final color. The beadcreate needs to be cleaned again and hopefully the end result will be a deep dark blue. The only major issue I had was with one of the spa jets. When the pool was built they must have run out of pool pipe so the last jet was just some plastic pipe that just broke apart when they tested the jets. Unfortunately the pool deck had been built after the pool and the pipe could not be accessed. Without cutting through a support beam so I had to cap the jet.
IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG
AJBangkok

Return to swimming pool