House near Rattanaburi, surin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby tertim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:34 am

Our builder has told us that he's ready to start as soon as the columns are finished, we have five poured with another 10 to go so should be less than 2 weeks and he can start the roof steel.
The roof is designed as a series of half trusses with a ridge beam truss at the two 4M spans also there are 3 minor trusses with tie/strut beam. The maximum truss spacing is 2M with 50x50mm purlins/battens for fixing the composite sheets.
Roof steel detail 1.jpg
Roof detail
Roof steel detail 2.jpg
Detail 2
Roof steel detail.jpg
Purlins/battens omitted for clarity
tertim

Postby tertim » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:48 am

Yam Had a phone call from the surveyor who carried out the survey of our(yam's) land last month. We wanted to make sure the existing survey pins were in the correct place before we erected fencing to close it in. The MIL suspected that her brother who owns the plot next door had moved the survey posts 2M into our land hence my request to have the land surveyed.
On the day they arrived (15 June) they spent the whole day measuring, theodolite, trips back to their office to check their records, plans etc. They moved 2 posts and put in a new post as the original was missing or couldn't be found , after much consultations with colleagues told Yam they were finished and all the posts are now correct.

So now back to the phone call, the surveyor( I use that term loosely) informed Yam that the two corner posts adjoining her uncles land are indeed about 2M into our land as the records in his office show, so Yam quite reasonably said why didn't you put them in the correct place that's what you were paid to do. He replied with a load of waffle about you and your uncle must talk together and decide were the boundary is, he can help with the negotiations no need for a lawyer he will help us (money). The only way he can help is to do what he has been paid to do and put the posts in the correct place.

I advised Yam to go and see his boss and get them to do their job properly.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby pipoz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:12 pm

tertim wrote:Yam Had a phone call from the surveyor who carried out the survey of our(yam's) land last month. We wanted to make sure the existing survey pins were in the correct place before we erected fencing to close it in. The MIL suspected that her brother who owns the plot next door had moved the survey posts 2M into our land hence my request to have the land surveyed.
On the day they arrived (15 June) they spent the whole day measuring, theodolite, trips back to their office to check their records, plans etc. They moved 2 posts and put in a new post as the original was missing or couldn't be found , after much consultations with colleagues told Yam they were finished and all the posts are now correct.

So now back to the phone call, the surveyor( I use that term loosely) informed Yam that the two corner posts adjoining her uncles land are indeed about 2M into our land as the records in his office show, so Yam quite reasonably said why didn't you put them in the correct place that's what you were paid to do. He replied with a load of waffle about you and your uncle must talk together and decide were the boundary is, he can help with the negotiations no need for a lawyer he will help us (money). The only way he can help is to do what he has been paid to do and put the posts in the correct place.

I advised Yam to go and see his boss and get them to do their job properly.

Pop kan mai

So the Brother is trying to screw (out of land) the MIL

Who is correct the MIL or the Brother???

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Postby tertim » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:42 pm

The brother has a history of cheating his siblings it's he who is stealing the land.

Pop kan Mai
tertim

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:53 pm

SWMBO has told me that they did do their job. That is to tell you where the boundary is.

It is not their job to move the posts. Thier job is information not enforcement.

When the land is first surveyed the survivors will put the marker pins in the correct places.

If you re-survey (as you have) then they will provide proof that the pins have been moved, it is then up to you to either talk to your neighbors with that proof and get them moved back to the correct location or if that fails then you will probably need to take them to court.
However the survivors offer to negotiate maybe a good option depending on the size of his fee, and then on a no move the pins no fee basis.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:SWMBO has told me that they did do their job. That is to tell you where the boundary is.

It is not their job to move the posts. Thier job is information not enforcement.

When the land is first surveyed the survivors will put the marker pins in the correct places.

If you re-survey (as you have) then they will provide proof that the pins have been moved, it is then up to you to either talk to your neighbors with that proof and get them moved back to the correct location or if that fails then you will probably need to take them to court.
However the survivors offer to negotiate maybe a good option depending on the size of his fee, and then on a no move the pins no fee basis.

Disagreements over land boundaries cause problems the world over.

Here also this is a source of constant frustration for many, often leading to violence, occasionally leading to fatalities. Having used technology to locate the precise position a pin should be located, the Land Office simply dig a small hole in the dirt to position the [circa twelve inch long] 'pin' and push the dirt back around it. Those with devious intentions can so easily move them. Not going to change anytime soon ... asserting ones rights is best given a long hard thought as to how it might best be accomplished.

I am not recommending this 'when in Rome' solution. I do however know of 'foreigners' who have been sure that someone had moved the posts and, seeing no other plausible solution, they discreetly removed those posts before the Land Office came to do their survey. When there are no posts to be found the Land Office are obliged to put in new posts where they should be. For one reason or another chanote posts often disappear ................ just hearsay that I am passing on of course

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby tertim » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:20 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:SWMBO has told me that they did do their job. That is to tell you where the boundary is.

Hi STWW thank you for your input it would seem that I have been a little hasty in blaming the surveyor, why he didn't mention this discrepancy on the day is a little odd as he must have been aware that the pins were in the wrong place then.
I think trying to negotiate with my wife's uncle would be waste of time as I mentioned in a previous post in Legal and finance he was very reluctant to sign some papers to give clear title to my wife.

My wife and family can decide what to do (probably nothing) for me it makes no difference other than the injustice of him stealing my wife's land. As MGV12 pointed out in the next post violence is not uncommon in land disputes and I have no wish to be involved in any kind of turf wars in my retirement.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby tertim » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:05 am

Well surprise surprise as Cilla used to say, last sunday whilst erecting the column shuttering 10 loads of fill arrived, wasn't expecting it for another 3 weeks, so now we can crack on with the slab as well. The father in law got stuck in and in no time had 3 bays filled, I'm he sure he could out dig a macro given the promise of a couple of bottles of Lao khao.
We now have 11 columns poured to date just 4 more to go, on target to finish Sunday 8th, we can then give the slab our full attention should be completed by the following sunday.

IMG_20160731_123055.jpg
Fill for slab
IMG_20160802_084102.jpg
Fill ready for compaction
IMG_20160802_084226.jpg
Nearly finished
tertim

Postby tertim » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:10 am

Sunday 14 August

All the columns completed 7 days ago and now preparing ground for concrete slab.
The electric guy who reads the meter has complained that our temporary cable is too small and we need to install 25mm2, he said that he only thought we needed the supply for one month!!!! so we have been busy constructing a permanent pole to support the cable, has to be about 6M high as we have to cross the road.

Made a start on the carport will be used for temporary storage and shelter for our main build, decided to use galvanized steel the cost difference is very little for a superior protection.

IMG_20160809_134405.jpg
Fabricating the carport trusses 6M span
IMG_20160810_123715.jpg
6M trusses conventional kingpost and struts
IMG_20160814_094219.jpg
Carport roof steel
tertim

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:22 pm

tertim wrote:Sunday 14 August

All the columns completed 7 days ago and now preparing ground for concrete slab.
The electric guy who reads the meter has complained that our temporary cable is too small and we need to install 25mm2, he said that he only thought we needed the supply for one month!!!!

If your using copper then He doesn't know what he's talking about. When the PEA installed our temporary 30/100 supply they used 10mm2.
The guys who read the meters like to talk big. If you have any concerns then talk to the PEA directly.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby tertim » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:18 am

If your using copper then He doesn't know what he's talking about. When the PEA installed our temporary 30/100 supply they used 10mm2.
The guys who read the meters like to talk big. If you have any concerns then talk to the PEA directly.[/quote]

Hi STWW
Yes my first impression was this meter reader was being awkward so my wife went to speak to the PEA and they backed him up saying we had to install 25mm2 cable same as a permanent supply. I suppose we would have had to install the cable eventually but I would have prefered to do it closer to completion rather than now (theft) I will be posting some pictures of our overhead cabling and pole shortly.
tertim

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 am

tertim wrote:If your using copper then He doesn't know what he's talking about. When the PEA installed our temporary 30/100 supply they used 10mm2.
The guys who read the meters like to talk big. If you have any concerns then talk to the PEA directly.

Hi STWW
Yes my first impression was this meter reader was being awkward so my wife went to speak to the PEA and they backed him up saying we had to install 25mm2 cable same as a permanent supply. I suppose we would have had to install the cable eventually but I would have prefered to do it closer to completion rather than now (theft) I will be posting some pictures of our overhead cabling and pole shortly.[/quote]
If you have connected the temporary supply to the house, they may well be correct.
Our supply runs from the temporary meter across the road and terminates in a temporary switch box hanging on a tree about 5 meters from the metre.
You could go that route and supply the temporary box with the 25mm2 cable.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:31 pm

This is our temporary supply on a 30/100 meter

The cable is copper not aluminium

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Temporary on the left, permanent (not connected) on the right
Sometimewoodworker

Postby tertim » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Electrician coming tomorrow to install our permanent 25mm2 supply cable should keep the PEA happy!!!

IMG_20160817_154237.jpg
PEA pole on the left to our pole on the right
IMG_20160817_154040.jpg
Stubb column as base for electric pole 75x75mm box section galvanized
IMG_20160817_154257.jpg
Permanent pole next to temporary supply pole
IMG_20160817_154124.jpg
6M high
tertim

Postby tertim » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:51 pm

IMG_20160818_154032.jpg
Plates welded to Rebar perfectly square to the column 5cm gap to be filled with high strength grout.
Electrician didn't turn up no big surprise but he did call by in the afternoon and said he would be here tomorrow, Mai bpen rai. Meanwhile stripped and poured another carport column only 2 left
IMG_20160817_165939.jpg
Painting the welds prior to erection.
IMG_20160818_162924.jpg
Welding the first wall plate
tertim

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story