Use of pond water for mixing concrete

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Use of pond water for mixing concrete

Postby Tryonj » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:53 am

I am having a perimeter fence built on some land and noticed today that some holes were dug on the property which, with all the rains in the Northeast, are filing with water. The explanation for the holes from a worker is that they needed water to mix the concrete. The builder had stated he would provide a truck with a tank for the water needed, but he has already not followed through on a few other items so this just adds to the list. My question is : Are there any issues with using muddy water to mix concrete? Thanks for the advice
Tryonj

Re: Use of pond water for mixing concrete

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:49 am

Tryonj wrote:I am having a perimeter fence built on some land and noticed today that some holes were dug on the property which, with all the rains in the Northeast, are filing with water. The explanation for the holes from a worker is that they needed water to mix the concrete. The builder had stated he would provide a truck with a tank for the water needed, but he has already not followed through on a few other items so this just adds to the list. My question is : Are there any issues with using muddy water to mix concrete? Thanks for the advice

Yes. Rule of thumb "if you can't drink it don't use it"

http://concretehelper.com/troubleshooting/
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Tanlic » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm

That's good advise.

Using pond water you might wake up one morning sleeping with the fishes :D Concerte ones

Clerk of Works used to go crazy if anyone went near concrete mixing with a coffee or even a soft drink.............apparently even a small amount of sugar can cause mega problems
Tanlic

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:01 am

Funny how that reference actually makes no reference to water quality.
How does that affect rapid set cement? Designed for post holes. Just add to water in post hole.
Andyfteeze

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:07 am

https://civil-engg-world.blogspot.com.a ... e-mix.html

This gives a much better explanation.
Andyfteeze

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:35 am

Andyfteeze wrote:Funny how that reference actually makes no reference to water quality.
How does that affect rapid set cement? Designed for post holes. Just add to water in post hole.

It does however directly answer the question posed.

Tryonj did not ask for chapter and verse.

The link you provided gives chapter and verse so is useful for those who want it.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Andyfteeze » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Thats fine, but not everyone is happy with just yes and no.
Andyfteeze

Postby cooked » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:15 am

I remember very well the advice I got in concrete technology classes: use pure, clean materials as much as possible. Research has shown that concrete containing a high amount of bacteria will have less ultimate strength (meaning, put in more concrete) and may deteriorate quicker. Sorry for the late reply.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby pedro12 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Impurities in water might interfere with setting of the cement and may affect the durability and strength of the concrete. The chemicals present in water may participate in chemical reactions & affect the hardening & strength development of the concreteI
pedro12

Return to cement, concrete and mortar