Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Time

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building A House In Chiang Mai At The Worst Possible Tim

Postby pipoz » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:29 am

Greenside wrote:Fertilized the grass with Urea (40-0-0) and organic fertiliser mixed 1:2 and a light dose every three months seems to keep it looking good. Would like a simple push along spreader but they don't seem to exist over here. Although the Malay grass is officially drought resistant, it does go brown pretty quickly if it's not getting enough to drink - it shows up inconsistencies in the sprinkler system without mercy.

Hi and very nice looking garden.

What do you feed or fertilize your Palm trees with and how often

pipoz
pipoz

Postby oil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:01 pm

Greenside wrote:I chose good showers for about 5000 each and excellent Aquaflex toilets for less than 3000 (who on earth buys those 12k toilets, by the way?) and found a close-out American Standard bath for 12k. Also came across a huge (no, really huge) Kudos shower head for the outdoor shower - a bit pricey at 1750 but worth it for the novelty value alone!

could you give us a update on your Aquaflex Toilets, i was recently seeing them as well and compared them with some from Karat / Kohler / American Standart ones ... and actually had the impression they have far better quality. For me the sitting height is higher as well as on most others ... The only downturn its almost impossible to find some decent reviews / descriptions about it after all, i found a catalogue online but thats all i could find. So any real user review would be appreciated.
oil

Postby Greenside » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Funny you should mention Aquaflex toilets...

The oldest we have is 5 years now and the only thing that has gone wrong (other than a self inflicted problem due to a period of poor water quality) is that the seat mounting broke recently. Went to Home Sukapan in Chiang Mai last week, where we bought it, to find they only sell the whole seat (soft close @ 1000 baht, no less) whereas all I needed was a tiny replacement square nylon part. However, the good news was that they directed me to the Aquaflex service centre, pretty much around the corner to my house where they keep new fitting kits in stock for a much more reasonable 100 baht.

All in all no complaints - although I bet that the manufacturers offering more expensive units will say that the ceramic will deteriorate quicker on the cheap bowls. Seem fine to me and no need to spend more than about 4 - 5,000 baht.

One other point sort of semi related: buy the best possible taps (faucets) that you can afford - especially for the kitchen which gets a huge amount of wear. Three of ours have problems after less than two years and I doubt we'll find support as easily as I did for Aquaflex so go for a brand with a service centre within reach even if it costs more.

Happy New Year to you all!
Greenside

Palm Trees

Postby Greenside » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Pipoz, I don't think we do anything by way of care for the palm trees except water them. (I don't, anyway!)
Greenside

Postby oil » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Greenside wrote:Funny you should mention Aquaflex toilets...

The oldest we have is 5 years now and the only thing that has gone wrong (other than a self inflicted problem due to a period of poor water quality) is that the seat mounting broke recently. Went to Home Sukapan in Chiang Mai last week, where we bought it, to find they only sell the whole seat (soft close @ 1000 baht, no less) whereas all I needed was a tiny replacement square nylon part. However, the good news was that they directed me to the Aquaflex service centre, pretty much around the corner to my house where they keep new fitting kits in stock for a much more reasonable 100 baht.

All in all no complaints - although I bet that the manufacturers offering more expensive units will say that the ceramic will deteriorate quicker on the cheap bowls. Seem fine to me and no need to spend more than about 4 - 5,000 baht.

One other point sort of semi related: buy the best possible taps (faucets) that you can afford - especially for the kitchen which gets a huge amount of wear. Three of ours have problems after less than two years and I doubt we'll find support as easily as I did for Aquaflex so go for a brand with a service centre within reach even if it costs more.

Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks a lot for the update, i found out that the Distributor / Manufacturer seems to be: http://charnpaiboon.com/ i am sure there they can tell you where to get replacement parts ..
As for the the deterioration over time, i have some friends with American Standart Toilets which are like 12 years old and they truly look like s**t, i am mean they are well cleaned but some water ways got litereally burned in the ceramics there ... so much for the American Standart quality at least how it has beeen 12 years ago.

As for the Taps, people told me i should spend as less as possible on them, cause even the expensive ones dont last here too long, so after 5 years they need to be replaced pretty much anyways.

I was quite shocked to see that Shower Sets costs like 9000-20.000 Bahts here, i might get them from China then where the very same stuff costs like 3.000 i have no doubt that all of them are produced in China anyways
oil

Bathroom Fittings

Postby Greenside » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:40 pm

Shower Sets have come down hugely in price over the last three years as have fancy bathtubs. Baan & Beyond had some nice looking showers for less than 5000 baht I noticed a month or two back.
Greenside

Postby oil » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:22 pm

One more follow up question regarding your sandwash pool finish, cause it looks amazing and i thought it should be most safe to walk on rather then slippery ...
but when i understood you right ... nowadays you would use tiles over the sandwash?
oil

Postby Greenside » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:48 pm

We only have sandwash on the outside of the spa and I wish we hadn't! Actually not quite true, we have some on the pool steps that remain underwater and that looks OK until you scrub it and then you see how much algae it's home to. Under cover and properly installed, sandwash can look very nice but out in the elements it grows black or green mold and should it crack you'll find that a repair is almost impossible to colour match. Our pool edge is sandstone which is a bit soft but looks nice and so far has worn well.

Be wary of sandwash outside.
Greenside

Postby Greenside » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:35 am

pipoz wrote:
Greenside wrote:Fertilized the grass with Urea (40-0-0) and organic fertiliser mixed 1:2 and a light dose every three months seems to keep it looking good. Would like a simple push along spreader but they don't seem to exist over here. Although the Malay grass is officially drought resistant, it does go brown pretty quickly if it's not getting enough to drink - it shows up inconsistencies in the sprinkler system without mercy.

Hi and very nice looking garden.

What do you feed or fertilize your Palm trees with and how often

pipoz

Turned out that the mix of organic fertilzer to Urea should have been 3:1 as the Urea is pretty powerful stuff. The last application gave a more even growth and colour, helped enormously by using the Scotts Spreader that I brought over from England in April. The difference that simple and inexpensive bit of kit made is amazing - it was only about 5 kilos and the BKK customs didn't blink an eye.

The palm trees don't need any help by the look of them and since I'd like to keep them small I'm not likely to experiment!
Greenside

Anyone Know What's Eating Our Lawn??

Postby Greenside » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Patches of our Malaysian grass are going brown and these as well as white pupae are to be found near the surface. Trying to get a positive ID so I know the right treatment before they eat the lot! Termites? Ants of some kind? Someone suggested Mayfly lavae. Here's one of the culprits.....

The picture's a bit rubbish so it's not as easy as it might be to ID the little bugger but you can see the kind of damage they are doing in the pictures below. We had some brown patches last year but nothing on this scale and they work pretty fast too. We've lost a whole area (smallish, thankfully) in one part of the garden - see the bottom picture. They're spreading, so whatever I do about this will have to be a treatment for the entire plot.

I'm looking for something that won't harm children and that doesn't leech into the ground water as the worst area is adjacent to our borehole. Any ideas would be welcome.
Greenside

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:55 pm

:shock:

Pretty sure they are not related to termites.

The nearest identification I can arrive at is that they are Leatherjackets...the larvae of the cranefly. these grubs are usually legless (arent we all :wink: ) brown/grey in colour and up to 40mm in length.
often in the same area as chafer grubs.
These are the larvae of the Chafer Beetle. They are pinky white with a brown head, have three pairs of front legs and are usually about 12mm long.
Patches of dead or dying grass become apparent and attract rooks and starlings diving in to feed. - See more at: http://www.supagrass.co.uk/lawn-care/ch ... Qekj5.dpuf

Sounds like you do have both eating your grass roots.....are the birds coming as well? if so they are helping.
eyecatcher

Previous

Return to Your Building Story