uPVC Window Sources in Thailand

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: uPVC Window Sources in Thailand

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon May 30, 2016 6:59 pm

wwwbkkaptcom wrote:Thank you, I will check them, I found this website:

http://www.prime-asia.co.th/

There are a few pictures starting at no. 33 of the visit SWMBO and I made to their place, you can see the quality there.

http://meekings.selfip.com/nui/Groups-o ... start.html
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Anymore news on the window front?
Just doing some basic research on window U values. I have seen values as high as .9 to a low of .198. for double glassing. And surprisingly, 6mm+6mm performed well.

Cooling Climates
In cooling climates, the main goal is to keep unwanted heat from entering the home and to reduce the reliance on artificial cooling systems. Choosing double glazed uPVC windows with low SHGC measures limits solar heat gain and can therefore reduce artificial cooling requirements and so, energy consumption.
SHGC figures take into account the leakage through the frame.

SUITABLE GLASS TYPES:
Tinted, High Performance Tinted, Tinted LowE, Tinted IGU LowE

Sound insulation
20cm is ideal but you can get quite good results by varying the glass thickness on a 1:1.5 ratio ie 6mm + 9mm, 4mm + 6mm

This is turning into a megga search. :oops:
Andyfteeze

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:22 pm

And I havent started on tinting yet ! :roll:
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:This is turning into a megga search.

So Andy whilst you are searching, I suggest you look at the distance one pane of glass needs to be from the other for best sound insulation and the type of gas used. When you find that out then you can start with looking into warranties and lifespan of the gas remaining in between the two panes of glass. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:17 pm

For sound its 20cm. I know that from my training many many moons ago. What I thought was going to be pretty straight forward, yes I assumed the suppliers had their act together, has turned out to be bigger than Ben Hur.

Tinting is a good barrier against direct sunlight but double glazing is good against convection and vise versa.

The basic concept I have is double glazed windows , 3mm Low-e glass, 6mm gap, 3mm clear with tint on top or 6mm Low-e, 6mm gap, 6mm clear with tint.

But you can't have tint over any ordinary glass in a double glaze. The heat buildup in the gap could get out of hand. :cry:

" The cavity is filled under vacuum conditions with either dehydrated air or an inert gas to improve insulation and prevent condensation within the unit. Depending on the gas filling used and the type of window, the cavity width for a double glazing window is generally between 4 to 20 mm.
The recommended cavity width for Low E energy saving double glazing window when filled with dehydrated air is 16mm – and 14mm when the cavity is filled with argon gas. "
" Although argon-filled units cost around 5% more than air-filled units, they can improve a double glazing window’s U value or energy rating by over 30%. Argon fillings should last the lifetime of a double glazing window and over a period of 25 years should not lose more than 5%."
double-glazing-info.com

So what have we got?
Frame material- aluminium
upvc
Double Glazed- glass thickness 3mm, 6mm
glass separation 6mm, 12mm, 16mm
glass type low e, Igu, clear
tint

Price? well that could very well determine the whole house of cards, hehehehe.
I will have to wait till I get home and check my plans to see if I can improve my window placement or sizing. They will be upvc of some description i would think.
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:Frame material- aluminium
upvc

Now you have me confused, uPVC = Unplasticized polyvinyl chloride, there is no aluminum involved, unless you go for the cheap Chinese windows that open and are supposed to have aluminum as the opening hinges/bar, when in actual fact it isn't, it's just plain steel and rusts. See the start of this thread. This was the main drawback to installing uPVC windows, or was at the start of this thread.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:For sound its 20cm. I know that from my training many many moons ago.

Yes, and triple glazing is even better but you also should have different thicknesses of glass.

Tinting is a good barrier against direct sunlight but double glazing is good against convection and vise versa.

The basic concept I have is double glazed windows , 3mm Low-e glass, 6mm gap, 3mm clear with tint on top or 6mm Low-e, 6mm gap, 6mm clear with tint.

"6mm clear with tint" makes no sense . It is either clear or tinted

But you can't have tint over any ordinary glass in a double glaze. The heat buildup in the gap could get out of hand. :cry:

I don't understand what you mean.

You can combine tinted and clear glass in an IGU the low E needs to be on the outside
One of our quotes is under
Laminate Green Low E Glass 3mm+PVB1.52 + Clear Low E 4mm+Argon 8mm+Clear Float Glass 5mm

So what have we got?
Frame material- aluminium
upvc
Double Glazed- glass thickness 3mm, 6mm
glass separation 6mm, 12mm, 16mm
glass type low e, Igu, clear
tint
IGU is an Integrated Glazing Unit" the correct term for the glass sandwich in double glazing

You have missed some thicknesses of glass together with some different air gaps

Price? well that could very well determine the whole house of cards, hehehehe.
I will have to wait till I get home and check my plans to see if I can improve my window placement or sizing. They will be upvc of some description i would think.
[/quote]

We chose to go with laminated units so we will not need monkey bars for security

Also the maximum thickness for our UPVC profiles was 21.5mm our final choice was

Laminate Clear 4mm+PVB1.52 + LowE Clear 4mm + Argon 8mm + Clear Float Glass 5mm
Except for the doors where we substituted Tempered Glass on the inside pane

Clear Float Glass 4 mm+PVB1.52 + Clear Low E 4mm+Argon 8mm+Clear Tempered Glass 5mm
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:48 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Andyfteeze wrote:Frame material- aluminium
upvc

Now you have me confused, uPVC = Unplasticized polyvinyl chloride, there is no aluminum involved, unless you go for the cheap Chinese windows that open and are supposed to have aluminum as the opening hinges/bar, when in actual fact it isn't, it's just plain steel and rusts. See the start of this thread. This was the main drawback to installing uPVC windows, or was at the start of this thread.

He missed a comer

He could have written aluminium or uPVC
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Andyfteeze » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks guys, yes I missed a comma.
I read some where that having tint on clear double glazed glass could be a problem as the tint heats up, the glass under the tint heats up and the gas in the IGU heats up. Too much pressure due to the heat buildup could pop the seal of the IGU. I didn't mention the reason, sorry.

I may have to think some more.
The front of the house is facing the sun. So I may have to apply a bit more "money" here. The rear is more or less double glazing without the extras and the sides an in between range. My sound room may be different again. I have a good budget for windows but not overboard.
The other issue I have is the ceiling overhand, so maybe the front windows are in shade for periods. Yea, I know, my own build and I can't remember the details.

I would be interested in others choices and results. Are you happy with your choice and is it effective?

One thing I can now be sure of is that I will fit the windows and doors myself. I have had a bit of experience the last 5 months here in miserable melbourne, lol. Its been COLD. :lol:
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:I read some where that having tint on clear double glazed glass could be a problem as the tint heats up, the glass under the tint heats up and the gas in the IGU heats up. Too much pressure due to the heat buildup could pop the seal of the IGU. I didn't mention the reason, sorry.

Not true at all, if the gas used is argon (most common), just think of the filament in an electric light bulb, so thin and fragile, yet doesn't burn out straight away. It's the same with the tint and double glazing, the argon stops any heat build up. If you are very careful you can actually drill into an old light bulb, let all the argon out and then fill it with either high explosives or even petrol and as soon as the light is turned on .........
Trust me you won't be popping any seal, the Americans have been using double and triple glazing for years and the only thing that happens if the gas escapes is condensation at the bottom of the window.
Roger Ramjet

Previous

Return to windows and doors