Upper floor beams

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Upper floor beams

Postby spg » Sat May 21, 2016 2:05 am

Hello.

I am constructing in Indonesia; principles and methods are very similar to Thailand, however there tend to be some differences in practice.

In particular, they like to build the ground flour columns (with rebar protruding to allow a splice for the upper floor) and fill in the walls before they do any upper-floor construction.

The upper floor is also poured - they do not use concrete slabs here.

My columns are 30cmx30cm, reinforced with 9 * 16mm rebars.

Now the issue that I can see is that the columns are already up to the height of the bottom of the upper floor.

But from what I can see there should be a cast concrete beam of 40cm or maybe 50cm in depth running along the perimeter of the building, and then the floor sits ON TOP of that. So the TOP of the beam should sit at the height of the top of the ground floor.

But what then happens to beams running perpendicular to the perimeter, if you have a room that is, say 8 mx 4m, and there is therefore three 4 metre beams, and 2 8 metre beams, so one of the 4 metre beams bisects the room. Is that something you cover up with a ceiling? Or?
spg

Re: Upper floor beams

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 21, 2016 7:28 am

spg wrote:But what then happens to beams running perpendicular to the perimeter, if you have a room that is, say 8 mx 4m, and there is therefore three 4 metre beams, and 2 8 metre beams, so one of the 4 metre beams bisects the room. Is that something you cover up with a ceiling? Or?

There is no or, unless you want all the electrical and plumbing exposed. It's covered by the ceiling.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=690 If you start somewhere about here it will give you some idea of what you are talking about and the end result.
Roger Ramjet

Return to cement, concrete and mortar