House near Rattanaburi, surin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House near Rattanaburi, surin

Postby tertim » Sat May 07, 2016 7:35 am

Day 30
Bought concrete mixer at Thaiwasadu with stand for about B10,200 and so far it's performed very well, only slight problem was the big T bar bolt inside the drum holding it to the shaft, this worked loose every 10 minutes or so (should have been left hand thread) Our solution was a few drops of high strength Loctite and it's been fine ever since.
It only mixes about a barrow full at a time but that's OK as we are only a small team.
IMG_20160402_110541.jpg

We have completed all the concrete pads and now ready for the stub columns, the steel shuttering is very easy, light and quick to use the columns are erected in no time, I tried making wooden shutters but they were too heavy and cumbersome. We have enough steel shutters to pour 2 full size columns, so on a 24 hour cycle will take 8 days which is OK for us as there are many jobs to get on with.
IMG_20160403_164448.jpg
Septic tanks installed
IMG_20160410_084721.jpg
Fixing the spacers
IMG_20160407_090421.jpg
Pouring the stub columns
tertim

Postby tertim » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 am

Day 35
Over half the stub columns now completed we strip, erect and pour 2 every day and then making ground beam rebar in the afternoon, works well.
IMG_20160408_093027.jpg
Stub column poured and wrapped in plastic

Today 11 april went to collect our new pickup it's the first car i've owned in Thailand, for the 11 years living in Phuket I had motor bikes which served me well in the constant traffic.
IMG_20160416_062844.jpg
Our new pickup

Started digging the land drains and open ditch to divert rain water into the adjacent pond, looking forward to seeing if it solves our problem with the soil erosion. The rain water from the roofs will eventually be connected to the 100mm storm drain.
IMG_20160419_131216.jpg
Digging the land drain
Land drains cth.jpg
Water drainage
IMG_20160421_150346.jpg
20mm concrete pipes layed open joint
IMG_20160423_112123.jpg
Gravel covering
tertim

Postby tertim » Mon May 09, 2016 7:16 am

Day 35
All stub columns now completed and backfilled, digging trench for storm drain is hard going through bamboo roots.
IMG_20160415_102445.jpg
Last of the stub columns
IMG_20160421_090254.jpg
Backfilled
IMG_20160423_112239.jpg
Storm drain trench nice and straight!!!!
IMG_20160423_112259.jpg
Almost finished
IMG_20160423_163756.jpg
Manhole

That's phase 1 completed now it's time to head back to Phuket to pack up our belongings ready for the great trek north, we plan to be back in Isaan around the end of May to start phase 2, ground beams, slab etc

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby pipoz » Mon May 09, 2016 10:27 am

Looks good, I think I will use your Septic Tank idea was a Soaker Drain concept, along with your open drain design, to run the rain water away from my house. Thanks

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby pipoz » Mon May 09, 2016 11:30 am

pipoz wrote:Looks good, I think I will use your Septic Tank idea was a Soaker Drain concept, along with your open drain design, to run the rain water away from my house. Thanks

Pipoz

Opp's should have said "As a Soaker Drain"
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Mon May 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Have done the same with the drain and seems work ok.
But guess dimension is 20 cm and not 20mm, the latter can be a little small in rainy season ? :)
olavhome

Postby tertim » Mon May 09, 2016 2:16 pm

pipoz wrote:Looks good, I think I will use your Septic Tank idea was a Soaker Drain concept, along with your open drain design, to run the rain water away from my house. Thanks

Pipoz

Hi Pipoz Yes I think the septic tank idea is very good but I'm afraid I can't claim it as mine, i found it on CTH I think RR posted it.
tertim

Postby tertim » Mon May 09, 2016 2:19 pm

olavhome wrote:Have done the same with the drain and seems work ok.
But guess dimension is 20 cm and not 20mm, the latter can be a little small in rainy season ? :)

Thanks Olavhome for correcting my dimensions i'm pleased to hear that your drainage system works well, reassuring to know.
tertim

Postby pipoz » Mon May 09, 2016 3:46 pm

tertim wrote:

Pipoz

Hi Pipoz Yes I think the septic tank idea is very good but I'm afraid I can't claim it as mine, i found it on CTH I think RR posted it.

If it doesn't have a Patent, then its free :lol:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon May 09, 2016 7:01 pm

pipoz wrote:If it doesn't have a Patent, then its free

Free is good, imagine every time you used E=MC 2 or Pi to calculate a circumference. Bloody patents should only last 6 to 12 months. At least Japan is civilised theirs only last 5 years, whereas the US drag them out for two or three lifetimes.
Roger Ramjet

Postby tertim » Wed May 11, 2016 10:01 pm

new land.jpg
Raised on stilts

I've been rethinking my design and originally I wanted to build a house on stilts but was put off by the additional costs of columns, shuttering for 1st floor beams, additional concrete slab (poured or using the 5cm concrete planks with additional rc slab on top) and finally scaffolding and ease of working. I never considered the cost saving of using the space under the house for car port, thai kitchen, store room, workshop etc. If these structures are built as separate units then building a house at ground level will be more expensive than the house on stilts. I will still have the cost of shuttering for the 1st floor beams but I'm hoping we can employ a builder to supply and fix the shuttering and we will fix the rebar and pour the concrete.
I intend to use the hollow core pre-stressed floor panels 8 or 10cm thick with no poured concrete on top, the cement screed for tiling will help in keeping the panels stable. The panels are 1.2M wide with key way for grout to lock the panels to each other. There is a considerable cost saving using these hollow core floor panels.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby pipoz » Thu May 12, 2016 12:28 am

tertim wrote:
new land.jpg

I've been rethinking my design and originally I wanted to build a house on stilts but was put off by the additional costs of columns, shuttering for 1st floor beams, additional concrete slab (poured or using the 5cm concrete planks with additional rc slab on top) and finally scaffolding and ease of working. I never considered the cost saving of using the space under the house for car port, thai kitchen, store room, workshop etc. If these structures are built as separate units then building a house at ground level will be more expensive than the house on stilts. I will still have the cost of shuttering for the 1st floor beams but I'm hoping we can employ a builder to supply and fix the shuttering and we will fix the rebar and pour the concrete.
I intend to use the hollow core pre-stressed floor panels 8 or 10cm thick with no poured concrete on top, the cement screed for tiling will help in keeping the panels stable. The panels are 1.2M wide with key way for grout to lock the panels to each other. There is a considerable cost saving using these hollow core floor panels.

Pop kan mai

The cost of extending the Columns is not much. The cost of your raise beams + suspended slab vs ground beams + slab on ground is somewhat more, but does give you a lot of cheap extra space, if you minimize your finishes to that under-space area. I will work out an estimated extra cost per m2 for you, if you want. Just tell me the height from ground to the underside of your raise floor.

Also have a look at the build by Somsip "Raised house in Nakhon Si Thammarat", as he built his house about 2.5 meters off the ground with a suspended raise slab on concrete planks and a usable space underneath .

If you find a Supplier for your hollow core pre-stressed floor panels 8 or 10cm thick x 1.2 m wide, please let me know who he is and where he is, as I haven't seen this up my way in Udon Thani

pipoz
pipoz

Postby tertim » Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 am

columns and beams on stilts 1.jpg
Raised floor beams

Hi Pipoz
The rooms under the house will be finished using a bag finish :- before the mortar for the blockwork has set a cement bag is used to rub over the wall to fill and smooth the surface, once painted gives an acceptable utility look which is what the rooms will be.
Thank you for offering to estimate the additional costs for me much appreciated, the height from top of ground floor slab to the underside of raised floor slab is 2.5M

I found this company http://www.vconthai.com/hollow-core/ click on their catalouge link gives lots of information.

Pop kan mai
tertim

Postby tertim » Thu May 12, 2016 8:09 am

columns and beams on stilts.jpg
Rooms on ground floor
tertim

Postby splitlid » Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 am

By adding a second floor you are of course increasing the loads on your footings, so think about lightening the overall loads with different material choices.
Such as colorbond roof sheeting instead of concrete tiles.
I would also make the ground floor height slightly higher to 2.4m (min)
With 2.1m by the time you tile the floor, door frames and head heights will be very close to the underside of the beams.
It looks like your design is not engineer approved so your structural sizes at best are a guesstimate, plus, your hand mixed concrete is a bit hit and miss. So adding a further structure could be asking for trouble in the future.
splitlid

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story