Cheap Build Challenge with 150,000 baht

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Cheap Build Challenge with 150,000 baht

Postby Bangyai » Mon May 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Credit where it's due, Ken does weld up some nice gates. This wall and gate are nor included in the original budget.
Attachments
WP_20160502_006.jpg
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Mon May 02, 2016 3:18 pm

olavhome wrote:Maybe you get a local reputation (or your wife) as rain doctor and can get the costs covered by local government :D
My mother in law also made well but only 8 meter. Has water ok but very much iron.
Resulted in that areas where she waters after a while turns Brown.
Not nice if water comes to walls or other cementet areas.
Maybe you watch out for same, but may depend on area :-)

Thanks for the tip......will keep my eye on it. Wifey really wanted the pump for watering our garden and vegetable patch. Should save us 200 baht a month from the water bill. Sort of a long term investment.
Bangyai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon May 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Bangyai wrote:
olavhome wrote:Maybe you get a local reputation (or your wife) as rain doctor and can get the costs covered by local government :D
My mother in law also made well but only 8 meter. Has water ok but very much iron.

Thanks for the tip......will keep my eye on it. Wifey really wanted the pump for watering our garden and vegetable patch. Should save us 200 baht a month from the water bill. Sort of a long term investment.

Just wondering how much extra it will add to the electric bill? :x
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Bangyai » Mon May 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Bangyai wrote:

Just wondering how much extra it will add to the electric bill? :x

Yes ...... remains to be seen. Interestingly enough , our electric bills in Bangkok were always around the 1500 baht area with 2 air con units but never on together (except in cool season when the bills dropped to around 1000 ).

For the first 9 months in Petchabun I was very surprised that our average electric bill has been about 600 baht ? I don't know why this is because we use everything as per normal. The only thing I can think of is that either the unit cost is less in rural areas or because we got a new inverter fridge by Hitachi. When you think about it a fridge is the only appliance that is on 24 hours a day every day of the year. Even so it seems unlikely the saving could be just from this. Another thing I notice is that our Daikin unit in Bangkok needed regular cleaning or else the fan blades got all gunged up. After 10 months of using our Mitsubishi unit here I looked at the blades yesterday and they were remarkably clean considering the daily usage.

Our last electric bill here was 1500 baht but it has been oppressively hot and Ken has been doing a lot of welding on the build so not surprised at the big jump for last month.
Bangyai

Postby Bangyai » Thu May 12, 2016 11:00 am

Well, the MILs house is as finished as it's going to get for now and Ken and family have returned to Ubon. At last we have our own house to ourselves agsin.

Just as a recap ............... this little house cost 160,000 to build in total. I had not originaly intended that there be a ceiling or a tiled floor but both those items were done withing the 150,000 budget. The Thai Kitchen on the side and the front fence pushed things up an extra 10,000. The two wings of the front fence were lifted from our dividing fence ( no longer so important ) so that saved a bit of work and money. Ken welded the gate together himself.

If you are on a tight budget this little house is perfectly habitable. Two big 4x4 rooms plus kitchen, bathroom, and sheltered porch. I guess if you had to hire a builder you would probably need to add maybe 80,000 baht to the cost. But all it lacks is ceiling insulation and an air conditioner to be falang friendly.

Gop paid for the pump herself and it works well. The water is clear and comes up from 20 meters down nice and cool. Even used it myself to have an evening shower in the garden a couple of times when our mains supply water is too hot ! It is on automatic so if mum turns on her kitch or bathroom taps the pump automatically starts up. Just as well as she has no mains water connected yet.
Attachments
DSC03186.JPG
DSC03184.jpg
DSC03183.jpg
DSC03181.jpg
DSC03180.jpg
Bangyai

Postby olavhome » Thu May 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Congratulations with finishing the build.
Had the same experience as you showering and only got warm water. One of the few occations thinking friendly of snow :)
The house look Nice and at a price also many thais could afford if they wanted.
But seems like the cars is more important :D
olavhome

Previous

Return to Your Building Story