Phen House build - Udon - Self design -plans etc

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Phen House build - Udon - Self design -plans etc

Postby bedbandit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:59 pm

hello everyone
so my build story ...
im building a house in a small village outside of Phen , near udon thani. I've designed the house my self online using some app. i saw a few designs on here and changed a few things to suit what the wife wants.
im planing on building this house in 3-4 stages . ill be completely winging it most of the time, I do know about building and construction , and i think building in thailand is quite a simple method of building. and thats how i plan to keep it ... simple....(god help me).

I'll be building this house in 3-4 stages. i hope. my plan is :
stage 1 , pile driving , floors and walls
stage 2 , Roof, plumbing and electrics (first fix) doors and windows
stage 3 , tiling ceilings plumbing and electrics (final fix) kitchen
stage 4 , everything else

I spent a long time designing a house with some online app, every thing was ok till we saw her family, the family told my girl her head couldn't face this way or that way when we sleep and loads of other Buddha related things so that house that a spent a long time designing went in the bin.

Thats when i discovered Sketchup , downloaded that and never looked back. granted its took me a long time to get used to how it works, but my model works and look fine . the measurements are perfect and my builder is following the plans i provide from layout...

Thats right My plans .. ive done everything myself .. figured it cant be that hard (fool me)

The builder i have chosen seems to know what hes doing and like my plans, he showed me a few houses he built around the moo ban and they look good.

So..
this what im hoping for in the end..
pic.pdf
(160.53 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

these are the first few drawing a gave my builder to get started
piles plan.pdf
pile plan
(14.82 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
support frame.pdf
support frame on piles
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
A4 roof support updated.pdf
wall layout with support posts
(4.61 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
bedbandit

Re: Phen House build - Udon - Self design -plans etc

Postby bedbandit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:28 pm

so the builder started about 2 weeks ago, the pile driver came round and bashed the 15 x 5m posts in .. some went down most of the way other stopped about 0-80mm above ground , we was told the ground was rocky beneath befor we started .

1-1457579543446.jpg
top fill 300b a truck with free tractor 132 trucks
1-1457579543446.jpg (23.12 KiB) Viewed 707 times
2-1457579544095.jpg
2-1457579544095.jpg (28.87 KiB) Viewed 707 times

3-DSC_9616.jpg
setting out for piles

5-DSC_9640.jpg
base camp

6-DSC_9642.jpg
pile driver
bedbandit

Postby bedbandit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:48 pm

The piles were broke at about a meter below the ground and then a new Pad footing with rebar was cast , this was something i didn't expect them to do but was happy to see.
1-DSC_9675.JPG
2-DSC_9676.JPG
3-DSC_9680.JPG
Attachments
3-DSC_9710-001.JPG
support frame
4-DSC_9712-001.JPG
pad foot
2-DSC_9707.JPG
pad foot
bedbandit

Postby bedbandit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:15 pm

fame work
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG

the builder has rung today to tell us all the support frame and main roof support pillars are done , there hoping to put the Cpac floor down after songkran.
right now im back in pattaya , going back to udon after songkran. i really want to be there when the floor goes in.
bedbandit

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:35 pm

welcome to the "building story"

I hadnt realised SKetchup was feng shui friendly.. :wink: ..anyone else?

I wouldn;t have anyone tell me what to do based on mumbo jumbo voodoo and superstition. You referred to a moo baan; ask yourself, in those sweeping clustered moo baans with all identical houses...is it really possible to have every bedroom facing East, every toilet facing West. :?: (CLUE:it begins with N)

After you prepared your drawings on feng shui sketch up, did you get them drawn up professionally for the local office to approve and at what stage did you realise you needed to pile?
eyecatcher

Postby bedbandit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:10 pm

eyecatcher wrote:welcome to the "building story"

I hadnt realised SKetchup was feng shui friendly.. :wink: ..anyone else?

I wouldn;t have anyone tell me what to do based on mumbo jumbo voodoo and superstition. You referred to a moo baan; ask yourself, in those sweeping clustered moo baans with all identical houses...is it really possible to have every bedroom facing East, every toilet facing West. :?: (CLUE:it begins with N)

After you prepared your drawings on feng shui sketch up, did you get them drawn up professionally for the local office to approve and at what stage did you realise you needed to pile?

not quite sure what u mean
very true ...but then maybe the people who stay in them houses have alot of bad luck.. :wink:
No, why do i need professional plans, dont really think i need them and when it comes piles i decided to stronger the better , with in reason after all its only a single story house.
bedbandit

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 pm

bedbandit wrote: ill be completely winging it most of the time

I don't know whether to laugh or cry... perhaps both...
But seriously, welcome, and good luck.
You're definitely in the right country to "wing it most of the time"
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:36 pm

bedbandit wrote:fame work
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG

the builder has rung today to tell us all the support frame and main roof support pillars are done , there hoping to put the Cpac floor down after songkran.
right now im back in pattaya , going back to udon after songkran. i really want to be there when the floor goes in.

I can't see any PVC pipes in/through/under your horizontal beams? Where are you planning to run the toilet/drains and supply pipes? Under the beams to be dug in later?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby pipoz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:53 pm

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
bedbandit wrote:fame work
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG

I can't see any PVC pipes in/through/under your horizontal beams? Where are you planning to run the toilet/drains and supply pipes? Under the beams to be dug in later?

Beams are just sitting on top of the ground, so he will probably just dig a 300- 400 mm deep hole and run his sewer (toilet outflow) & shower waste etc, under the beam. I think :lol:

pipoz
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:52 am

Good Luck with the build and all issues you will encounter.
Remember always have a plan B (and maybe c,d) :-)
Had the same problem with bedroom but luckily on early stage so easy to alter.
Not sure if about religion or thai tradition (any difference :-) )
Also hade discussion about steps ut to house, cannot have as many as like (Nice), some numbers are "no good :-)
olavhome

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 am

A word of caution, maybe too late, never ever pour your concrete directly onto the earth because that's where all the water from the mix will go and weaken the concrete by over 50%.
Anyone who believes in Feng Shui needs to live in Thailand. I've seen companies completely destroy a building because it was facing the wrong way, when in actual fact it was the owner and directors who couldn't manage the company.
If you think detailed plans aren't necessary then your having a lend of yourself, or the builder is having a lend of you. I see he's off to a flying start already doing it his way (lazy way) and I bet he's rubbing his hands in glee at the new ute you are buying him.
As Max said I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but looking at progress so far, I'd start to cry.
I see the builder doesn't know what he's doing either with the piles, the tops are supposed to be cut off and the footings and columns are supposed to be joined to the rebar in the piles..........but never mind.
Whoever started recommending sketchup on this and any other building forum needs their balls cut out. Go to a draftsman and pay your 20-30,000 baht and get detailed plans.... and if you can't afford that you're just pissing your money into the builder's pocket.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 pm

I also did my house plan using sketchup saved me from making a lot of mistakes, and upon close examination still have me balls.

I used it to show my wife how everything would look in 3D. Took that to the planning office at city hall where the plan checkers did a complete set of plans including the engineer's stamp for 10,000 Baht. That included the site setting measurements a requirement here now. I think there were 56 pages. Their comment was "most detailed drawing they had ever seen".

I’m sure you read at least some of the building stores here so with that I wish you good luck and good Feng shui. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Return to Your Building Story